mtbr member
    Jul 2013

upgrade to 120mm all mountain fork

Hi, i have a Kona King Kikapu 2006. it has a Marzocchi Bomber mx comp 100mm front fork. this bike is aimed for riding cross country on but i ride all mountain and trails on it so i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions of any 120mm forks that would work with this bike. Is it even worth it? Should i just sell it and buy a all mountain/trail bike? please give me suggestions
    Name:  kona.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  9.7 KB
    This is my current bike

usually cranky
    if you are happy with it i don't see much reason to buy a whole new bike. im guessing to wheel is probably qr, in which case an open drop out reba of 32 float would fit the bill nicely.

mtbr member
    Whats your budget... The more money you have the more options you'll have that's just life.

i tend to lean to the money saving sides of things. so i would say buy a used 120mm fork off pinkbike .. as long as it';s compatible don't matter which one...

all the kids these days have huge veiners for "all mountain" bikes so get your self something with 140-160mm of travel spending about 3grand and you'll have what you want.

other wise your on a bike that cant take a big fork safely so you would have to buy a 120mm that wouldn't work on a big bike if you did get one in the future....

so either get a cheap second hand 120mm fork or sell the bike and join the AM crowd.

PS it doesn't matter the trails you ride get the bike you want / set up your bike the way you want, keep experimenting and don't forget that there's no wrong way to do it

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was in a very similar situation 2 years ago. I have a Kona One20 that came with a horrid fork, Rockshox dart3 at 120mm. I bought a 2010 marz 44 rc3 ti and couldn't be happier with my bike. It is a "XC" bike but I've taken about 5.5' drops on it, Kona makes tough bikes. I recently bought a new bike(NS Surge) because I outgrew my bike about 1 season ago. Upgrade your fork and keep your bike as long as it does what you want it too, you'd be surprised what you can do with your "XC" bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are you wanting a new fork cuz the bomber sucks or are you wanting a new fork to get 20mm more travel and think it'll improve the bike's "am" worthiness?

If you just want a better fork, look at the rockshox Sektor which can be adjusted from 110 to 150mm if solo air version. Or a coil version which can be adjusted on the fly. Older Reba is another great option. Just don't go throwing a really long travel fork on the bike without checking with Kona first as it was probably not designed to take the stress at the head tube.