mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Update on used FS bike per LBS and your advice

I took the Giant VT1, 2003, to the LBS as you suggested since it is almost 10 yrs old and is complicated enough for a novice like me that i can't tell what is good vs. bad.

Here is what he said...the bike is excellent, it is of very good quality with top notch components. I can tell the guy didn't ride it very much based on the condition but I can also see that it has been sitting around.

He went on to give me a list of the things that need to be done and I'd like to know if you think this makes sense and the prices are reasonable.

Chain is stretched and if not replaced, could soon begin damage to the teeth and/or gears, cost is $40 w/ labor

Rear hydr brake shot, can rebuild but cheaper or equal to replace entire asssembly for $90 plus $30 labor, shimano brand.

Full tune up for $60 where he goes over entire bike and makes adjustments but I have no idea what that includes.

Any reaction to this and the related cost? It adds up to $250 w/ tax and he said it will be in top shape. I think i'll be into the entire bike for $700 incl all of this svc which i think if "fair" to "good". Edited to fix date
    Last edited by tealboy1; 02-07-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Ninja Master Powers
    I think for $700 you should get a brand new bike....

mtbr member
    That's about what I'd expect to pay for LBS stuff. Can't comment on the part prices without knowing the model.
    If you are mechanically inclined you could do it yourself, but you will have to buy some bike specific tools.

Any bike is going to need maintenance eventually, so think about it as buying a $450 bike and getting the first years maintenance out of the way early.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    First, The bike is almost 20 years old according to your numbers. That being said, if it needs some tlc it is expected. I would only dump more money into it if I planned on keeping it for years to come. Sounds like you recently bought it for around $450? If so, scour the local bike forums, this place, Craig's list etc. to see about finding a used brake. Get he chain from online shop and spend the 15 on a multitool with a chain breaker so you can fit the chain. I'd limit my spending on this bike to another $75 if I could.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I'd be hesitant spending that much cash on a bike that is 20 years old unless there was sentimental value in it or was very rare.

The shop prices seem fair to me.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    the date was a typo, sorry. i keep saying 93 but it is a 2003 which was purchased in 2004.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd spend the money on tools and learn how to tune and maintain the bike. Search the forums, all the maintenance advice you need is here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Much better to just do the work yourself, It will help you in the long run if you just learn. There is plenty of tutorials and videos online for just about everything you could need

mtbr member
    The labor is fair and reasonable... nothing wrong with those prices really.

Thats easy stuff to do though, and you could easily do those repairs for less than half the price including purchasing tools. Then the next time its even cheaper since you own the tools. You'll also be self sufficient and instead of having the bike down for a week in the shop, you'll be out riding in an hour or so.

Kinda your call what to do next. Those are pretty easy repairs that you could definitely learn yourself. I think the DIY way would pay off, but I understand not everyone wants to bother.

I dont know what brakes you have now, but I wouldnt want to run mismatch brakes left and right. You'll get a weird inconsistent feel from the lever and brake action.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You've inspired me to give it a shoat on the diy front. I have some mechanical skilld and interest but no knowledge of bikes other than installing tires and fixing flats. With videos as referenced, should be easy but need to be careful not to order the wrong parts. Is there a favorite parts shop online that the forum likes and recommends?