mtbr member

Upcoming Pinkbike reviews...

This is going to be some good read. Mach 6, Solo, Troy in the mix...
    Looking forward to it.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Pinkbike-...t-II-2013.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No doubt PB has collected most of the best AM bikes around for their review, however, it's PB. They will just hype up every bike and list individual strengths while downplaying any weaknesses. They will not rank bikes against each other, and the only times they ever compare bikes is to list, "bike 1 is stronger in descending while bike 2 makes up for it in climbing". I've noticed all mainstream bike review sources are this way.

I'm guessing MTB and MTB component companies are vulnerable to bad reviews since it could sway enough people to not purchase their products that it could financially ruin them. In every dirtbike and car/truck magazine that I've ever read, the shootouts always end with a ranking of best overall performer to worst. Probably since Honda, Kawasaki, Toyota, etc... are all substantial enough companies to not care about the outcome of the test.

It seems PB and all the other mainstream bike reviewers have an unspoken agreement to only provide positive reviews for companies who send them products to review. That's why definitive tests of Pike vs. Float 34, XO Trail vs. XTR Trail, Boxxer vs. Dorado, and so on don't exist in any major reviewing outlet. A little depressing, but hopefully this trend will change over time to be more inline with car/truck reviewers.

mtbr member

RE: Upcoming Pinkbike reviews...

Actually i think car reviews have it all wrong. There is a fascination with winners and losers rather than focussing on which car is ideally suited for a given attribute. Unless car A beats car B in every category, which does not happen as much in todays,competitive market, most cars will RELATIVELY have a strength such as performance, touring, fuel economy. Thats a better way to measure products then you as a consumer are better informed to what lines up with your preference and situation. Car A winning this shoot-out doesn't tell me anything about what it really is best suited for.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 11-21-2013 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wouldn't say that they are doing any disservice by going with the old "bike 1 is stronger in descending while bike 2 makes up for it in climbing" line. The fact of the matter is - full suspension designs are reaching their apex, we're starting to see a lot of regurgitation and slight tweaks to existing designs because a lot of the most efficient designs have already been sorted out. This isn't a bad thing at all, it's great to know that when you look at a picture of 20 different bikes, you can close your eyes and pick one and you're going to be happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by metalray View Post
    I wouldn't say that they are doing any disservice by going with the old "bike 1 is stronger in descending while bike 2 makes up for it in climbing" line. The fact of the matter is - full suspension designs are reaching their apex, we're starting to see a lot of regurgitation and slight tweaks to existing designs because a lot of the most efficient designs have already been sorted out. This isn't a bad thing at all, it's great to know that when you look at a picture of 20 different bikes, you can close your eyes and pick one and you're going to be happy.
    True that nowadays most bike geometry and suspension work pretty well, so then the reviews should be more critical of the stuff that does vary - if the shock tune isn't right, or strange parts specs etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Agree with above. Unless there is something that makes a bike suck, which is really rare today, just give us an honest review of pros and cons. But, none I that sways me anyway. Geo and durability is point 1 and 2. If a frame is prone to cracking I want to know that, if the shock wallows or it has some other undesirable characteristic I'm trying to stay away from, always want to stay away from frame failures, let the reader know.

Some like DW, some Horst link. The big issue is finding all of these $5k+ bikes to throw a leg over. A bike shop needs to invest what a small car dealer does to stock the floor nowadays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've lost all confidence in PB reviews since they were raving about how awesome the 2013 Fox CTD was. Meanwhile every rider the world over were pissed that they had a $1000 piece of junk. But pink bike does have cool videos....
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    All group tests are pointless without control components.

mtbr member

Re: Upcoming Pinkbike reviews...