Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Turner RFX, Versus Blitz II, Cove G-Spot, Ventana El Terremoto 6.0,

Out of these 4 bikes, which one is the best for All Mountain?
    "Live, Live, Live!. Life is a banquet but most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jase810
    Out of these 4 bikes, which one is the best for All Mountain?
    none. you should get a 29er rigid

personally i'd go terremoto since everything is built/painted in-house and i'm a snob like that.
    depends on ur weight / intended purpose... we need more info to help you.

mtbr member
    I have a 5 Spot so I can tell you that the Turners are well made. Turner has great customer service and does stand by their bikes. I have been to Cove Bike shop and spoke with the folks up there, they too have a real good rep for product reliability and customer service. The G-Spot and RFX are neck and neck in my opinion.

I have no experiance with either Versus or Ventana. But Versus now uses the grease zerks like Turner and they seem to be built strong. If you are looking for tough bikes you have narrowed it down to the cream of the crop. If you are willing to wait you can buy directly from Cove and save on the dollar exchange, they might ship to you.
    Last edited by Hangtime; 04-04-2007 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    none. you should get a 29er rigid

personally i'd go terremoto since everything is built/painted in-house and i'm a snob like that.
    Im a clydes, I'm looking for a bike that can do everything from XC, FR, AM, and DH. From goin on epics XC rides to going on the lifts..
    "Live, Live, Live!. Life is a banquet but most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"

mtbr member
    Thats a tall order. The RFX has lost some weight for 07 so that may help with the XC stuff. They went with a DHX Air which in my opinion is not enough shock for a big guy. I got rid of mine for a DHX Coil. The Blitz is looking good. Also check out the Ventanna forum to see what people are saying over there. I know they have a solid following that will give you good feedback.

Have you given any thought to a SC Nomad. A great all round bike
    http://declinemagazine.com/productre...uctreviews.htm

long standing member
    Im a clydes, I'm looking for a bike that can do everything from XC, FR, AM, and DH. From goin on epics XC rides to going on the lifts..
    RFX is working well for me. Mine's built up pretty heavy, around 40lbs, so my XC isn't too "epic", but I also don't have to worry about things breaking on it. I'll be doing some lift-assisted downhill on it this season as well. The '07 RFX is a little lighter, comes stock with a RP23 rear shock. I bet if you wanted a coil instead Turner could make it happen.

i'd also thrown in the Transition Preston, Intense Uzzi. The former runs on less travel, but
    people still climb and rip downhill on it. The uzzi will have more travel than the others, but many intense folks use it as their all around bike.

No, that's not phonetic
    Im a clyde... everything from XC...[to] DH.
    You want to buy ONE bike for all that?? Well, you need to get the one that will hold up to the absolute worst abuse you are considering. Going lighter would be moronic and a disservice to the poor company whose bike you are considering abusing and using well outside it's intended application. Buy the heaviest frame on the list. It will have the most metal and thickest tubes. Probably the Blitz or Cove. You can use a DH frame for XC but you can't use an XC frame for DH.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You want to buy ONE bike for all that?? Well, you need to get the one that will hold up to the absolute worst abuse you are considering...
    Like I did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You want to buy ONE bike for all that?? Well, you need to get the one that will hold up to the absolute worst abuse you are considering. Going lighter would be moronic and a disservice to the poor company whose bike you are considering abusing and using well outside it's intended application. Buy the heaviest frame on the list. It will have the most metal and thickest tubes. Probably the Blitz or Cove. You can use a DH frame for XC but you can't use an XC frame for DH.
    go easy on him mate.... this is the All Mountain Forum

all mountain bikes can do anything anywhere anytime

who makes the best All Mountain Grips....

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    go easy on him mate.... this is the All Mountain Forum

all mountain bikes can do anything anywhere anytime

who makes the best All Mountain Grips....
    True, but I really feel the OP needs to be realistic with their expectations. Nothing's going to perform super well for dh AND xc riding......jack of all trades, master of none might be the best way of putting it. Also, if any bike is really going to see extended DH use (other than a weekend or two per year), then he may as well consider an 8+ lb. frame so it doesn't fold on him within a year. So, he should think more in the 35-40 lb. range for a full build knowing that it's going to be more effort on climbs.

I'd say this guy needs to decide what he'll really be doing on rides and pick the appropriate frame and build. Honestly, I've got my Reign built up with a medium build and, yes, I plan to ride it on some jump lines at Whistler, but I don't have expecations for it being fun on the steep and rugged trails. For that, I've got a 45 lb. DH bike with a 65 degree head angle and 8" of travel....

EB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    True, but I really feel the OP needs to be realistic with their expectations. Nothing's going to perform super well for dh AND xc riding......jack of all trades, master of none might be the best way of putting it. Also, if any bike is really going to see extended DH use (other than a weekend or two per year), then he may as well consider an 8+ lb. frame so it doesn't fold on him within a year. So, he should think more in the 35-40 lb. range for a full build knowing that it's going to be more effort on climbs.

I'd say this guy needs to decide what he'll really be doing on rides and pick the appropriate frame and build. Honestly, I've got my Reign built up with a medium build and, yes, I plan to ride it on some jump lines at Whistler, but I don't have expecations for it being fun on the steep and rugged trails. For that, I've got a 45 lb. DH bike with a 65 degree head angle and 8" of travel....

EB
    BOTTLEROCKET

No, that's not phonetic
    Part of the problem here is that the OP has confused "all mountain" with "all disciplines." The are NOT the same thing. Exactly what AM means gets debated around here (or so I understand, I never actually bothered reading any of the spew ), but it does not mean DH, or big huck FR, or light XC for that matter. All the bikes the OP mentioned are probably in the AM category, but as EB mentioned, all would be serious compromises outside AM use. Figure out what you are going to use the bike for 90% of the time and describe that to us. Asking what bike is best for XC and DH is a waste of everyone's time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Part of the problem here is that the OP has confused "all mountain" with "all disciplines." The are NOT the same thing. Exactly what AM means gets debated around here (or so I understand, I never actually bothered reading any of the spew ), but it does not mean DH, or big huck FR, or light XC for that matter. All the bikes the OP mentioned are probably in the AM category, but as EB mentioned, all would be serious compromises outside AM use. Figure out what you are going to use the bike for 90% of the time and describe that to us. Asking what bike is best for XC and DH is a waste of everyone's time.
    BOTTLEROCKET

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Ventana is my favorite company, so I would DEFINITELY be biased towards the Terremoto. I have had an X5 and LOVED it. Having said that, I also LOVE my RFX. I dont like the new 07 RFX frames; mine is an 06 when they were still made as a real 6" travel frame.

As a clyde however, depending on magnitude of "clyde", NOBODY is gonna touch Ventana in terms of being able to make a custom bike for you if needed. Call Sherwood direct to see what I mean......the slight upcharge for custom, be it custom geometry, heavy duty rear, etc....may be well worth it in your case.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    ...mine is an 06 when they were still made as a real 6" travel frame.
    Minor correction: yours is a 6.2" travel frame, and the new ones are 6.4" of travel.

Not sure what "real" means in this context.

Carry on.

mtbr member

Ventana - Kona, but look at a DW-link

Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    Of the bike listed I would really consider Ventana. It is build in house with a unique attention to detail, plus it does custum for little extra. If you do not go Ventana, maybe you should consider a Kona: for much less money the quality of build is outstanding.

Having said this, I would suggest that you also consider someting else: At least try a VPP and especially a DW-link bike (Iron Horse, or wait until the rumored long travle IBIS comes out). I spent 13 years on Horsts (AMP, GT, Turner) and tried a large number of bikes but none comes close to the performance of my new DW-link

PS never tried a Cove ... so I have no idea. The suspension system was VERY bob inducing according to reviews ... I might guess it needs an aggressive pedal platform to perform ok, but I might be wrong.
    Last edited by Davide; 04-05-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Fo,
    what don't u like about the 07 rfx.. is it more flexy in the back?
    what is the shock dimension of the 06 vs the 07? And does any shop have
    the 06 medium frame in stock (fat chance)?

i'm surprised dogonfr hasn't jumped in yet to promote versus....

Jan 2004
    so per your algorithm, travel defines a bike entirely? So I guess the new uber-ghey 6" travel 27 lb bike is more manly that an sub 6" travel Endorphin? Or a Spot? And by real, I meant not dolled up to be lighter to patronize the retarded Nomad-influenced MBA-reading mental patient crowd who thinks a light bike with long travel is a better thing.

Jan 2004
    I would not buy an 07 on principle (see above reply to queso), not to mention, the only reason i considered a Turner was cuz I got such a screaming deal on a new 06 (ie, still built for men)....had i had to pay close to retail, Turner would not have been on my list. However, as I have said before, I do love the bike, just would never buy it over a Ventana at near the same pricepoint.

gravity curmudgeon
    In other words, Fo has no experience with an 07 RFX from which to base his comparison. But he will hit 10,000 posts in very short order!

Endorphin looks so sweet. Rumor is that it will go to 160mm next year, thereby crossing the Fo line.

Jan 2004
    i have never driven a yugo but I doubt it is anything but a POS

gravity curmudgeon
    Foul! A yugo is definately not all-mountain.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    BOTTLEROCKET
    I'm sensing a theme in AMs posts.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    I'm sensing a theme in AMs posts.
    Yup, all those yuppie puppies don't get it. All Mountain is history....

BOTTLEROCKET

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast