• 11-24-2012
    bugaroo
    Turner 5 Spot vs. Pivot Mach 5
    Give me your pros and cons for each pike! Both are great bikes! I'm narrowing my field.
  • 11-24-2012
    Blatant
    Completely apples and oranges comparison. They may appear similar, but they are not. What kind of riding are you looking to do with this rig?
  • 11-24-2012
    motochick
    5 Spot vs. 5.7 seems a little more comparable.
  • 11-24-2012
    bugaroo
    Currently on a Turner TNT RFX which is a great bike, just looking for something a bit lighter yet still having the capacity to handle some heavy trail riding. I've owned a Horst Link 5 Spot in the past.

Basically I'm more interest in knowing about any performance shortcomings of each bike. I've heard that Turner has had some bushing issues (I've been on Turner bikes for close to 8 years- I'm a raving fan).
  • 11-24-2012
    mikkosan
    I came from an RFX and dumped all the parts on a DW 5 Spot. It pedals better, goes down better too.

I was a bit cautious that it might not be as tough as the RFX but I found myself riding it harder than the RFX and so far it's been taking all the abuse.

Bushing probs? Never had them and rarely here about it. If you do encounter them, DT will take care of you.
  • 11-24-2012
    KRob
    Up until I rode a well set up Mach 5 up in north van I would've said the 5 spot had the advantage hands down. Compared to the other Mach 5s I'd ridden the dw spot is much more plush more am/trail oriented and just feels better. However leel's Mach 5 felt very spot-like. Not sure what voodoo magic he's worked on it but it works.

The 5.7 should definitely compare well.
  • 11-25-2012
    Blatant
    I've owned an RFX, a couple of Spots and a Mach 5.7. A substantial part of the decision is what trails you typically ride and what type of rider you are.

I'm a non-shuttler for the most part and ride SoMo (National, 24th, Old Man, Geronimo, etc.), Pass Mountain and the techy stuff at PMP (Cheesegrater, Hairball, etc.).

For me, your decision is easy. Turner, all day, every day and twice on Sunday. I didn't like the Pivot at all.
  • 11-25-2012
    bugaroo
    Riding the same trails you are.......
    Have been for 18 years or so. Old man legs are catching up with me- 48 going on 13:). As much as I appreciate the RFX it's time for something new.
  • 11-25-2012
    ED2525
    Went from a Flux to a Mach 5 and could not come to terms with the Pivot. Too low front end and rode very rough at over trial chatter.Just too cross county for my liking. Sold the Mach 5 and purchased a 2010 5 Spot and been very happy with the switch. Took some time to get the sag correct on the Spot and for the bushing to break in but now it bombs downhill and climbs better than my 05 Flux. The 5 spot feels very planted when riding down technical terrain. Test rode the Mach 5.7 and that rides closer to the Spot but still prefer my Turner.