mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Tubeless Tire Sidewall Repair

So I have a small hole in my sidewall that wasn't visible to the eye besides the bubbling goo coming from it. I laid my bike down, (sidewall hole down) and rotated the tire which seemed to seal it nicely.

My question, is the sidewall is scuffed for about 6 inches or so, and in select spots I think I can see the "brownish" underwall. I don't want to have to worry about it and was wondering if anyone would have any thoughts/reservations about covering the rim and spraying a quick coat of Flex Seal Liquid Rubber Sealant Coating Spray | Walgreens over the scuffed sidewall?

(P.S. when I hit the square curb, all too hard mind you, I heard a pop. When I examined the tire, it looked like the tire had lost connection with the rim for a split second, evidenced by a spray of goo up the sidewall. It seems to be sealed now, should I be worried about that?)

cowbell
    I don't know about the flex seal coating stuff. I've repaired a sidewall like you're talking about from the inside though. An automotive (not bike) tire patch and some vulcanizing fluid - it held pretty well, but there wasn't a whole lot of life left in the tires. I found that my side walls tend to wear out or get torn up roughly in line with the overall life of the tire tread. In other words, by the time one is worn out, the other pretty much is as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, my tires are about 2-3 weeks old at this point. What would you do?

B.Ike
    ^^i'd shop for a replacement tire (w/better sidewall protection?) I'd still ride yours if its holding air. carry tire patch plus tube.
    ps: don't hit the curb squarely. A lot of wheel/tire combos wil burp in this situation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    for me a brand new tire sidewall was cut by a glass bottle that i failed to avoid. Cut a piece out of an old tire sidewall and used some construction adhesive to attach it to the inside (cover at least a half inch around the puncture). Still holding 8 months later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use aquaseal (inside and out) on tears up to 1/3 inch. It works quite well.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Riding with tubes really isn't the end of the world if you can get some more play out of your tires.

I take it if these are your Ardents, they didn't have EXO sidewalls?

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuryan View Post
    ...Cut a piece out of an old tire sidewall and used some construction adhesive to attach it to the inside (cover at least a half inch around the puncture)...
    ^ This.
    After a string of bad tire luck, one involving a long H-A-B, I now carry a couple of tire boots made from old sections of tire sidewall.
    If/when you rip open a sidewall inserting one of these boots will keep the tube from poking it's way through the slice,
    and may enable you to get back to the beer. And as Samu has said it's the best way to repair the tire.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Amazon.com: Bell Monkey Grip Radial Tire Patches M8036 30pcs 2-1/4" Round: Automotive

Here is your answer. Glue it on like a patch kit and your are all set. I used to buy them on amazon for a few bucks and you get 3 or 4 but it looks like they no longer sell them like that. I tore a sidewall on my first ride on the tire, put the patch on when I got home and rode the tire until it wore out. They are really that good!