mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Tubeless - pros & cons

I know this subject has been covered but I want some more opinions. For the guys blazing down rocky trails and those jumping at least 6 feet, do you experience flats from tire burping? Is it more reliable? For those who ride 20-30 miles from your car what do you do with a flat? Do you carry a spare innertube? Can you get a tubeless reinflated without a CO2 cartrige? Anybody running tubeless go back to innertube for simplicity? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't do 6ft drops but a wrench from the LBS did a fair sized drop into a rock banked turn, the front tire burped out air and he ended up eating it and skip on his side along the rocks. Chewed up his forearm and side; he doesn't ride tubeless anymore.

I ride tubeless and I carry a spare tube along no matter what. With stans if you have a small leak it'll seal up if you give it some time. And you can do a C02 to inflate it, probably easier to boot. I don't think I'll be switching back to tubeless. I can notice the ride difference between them....and it is good.

If you're worried about burping there are tubeless specific tires that have a beefier side walls that'd probably corner better.

mtbr member
    I haven't been running tubeless for long but from what I have experienced and what I have read I think it has a lot to do with your setup. If you have tubeless rims and use UST tires that is probably the simplest setup of all, put a scoop of Stans in when you install the tire and forget about it. I haven't converted normal rims to tubeless but from everything I have read that seems to be where the issues with burping and rolling tires off the rims come from. A lot of people run 823 rims on their DH bikes with UST tires (that's what I have) so drops and jumps aren't much of an issue with the right setup.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by crvt427
    I know this subject has been covered but I want some more opinions. For the guys blazing down rocky trails and those jumping at least 6 feet, do you experience flats from tire burping? Is it more reliable? For those who ride 20-30 miles from your car what do you do with a flat? Do you carry a spare innertube? Can you get a tubeless reinflated without a CO2 cartrige? Anybody running tubeless go back to innertube for simplicity? Thanks.
    1) You already carry a spare tube anyway don't you? I carry a tubeless patch kit as well.

2) If you don't have a CO2 cartrige, just throw in your tube and use that instead

3) I know it sounds like a bunch of BS, but I've probably had less than 5 flats and I've been running tubeless since Mavic first came out with a tubeless XC rim.. probably some time in 2002? One flat was a pinch from running low pressure and casing a jump onto sharp rocks... something that would have flatted virtually any tire. Others were in urban scenarios, one from sharp glass/metal, others from stair gaps gone wrong. For me it's been bombproof and I absolutely will not run tubes ever again if I can avoid it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Can be very reliable

26" wheel, rim strip, and tire technology has gotten quite good over the years as it applies to tubeless setups. Even freeridiers and DH'ers have been able to run tubeless in the right setups. This guy at our shop runs his Session 77 and a Transition in tubeless setup with no issues. If done right, I'd say it can be done reliably.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    TNC - Nice pics.

I've just switched to tubeless, and have been having my front burp a few times. Im running Kenda nevegals, and Mavic XM 819 rims, and so far, not using any stans. They sealed up fine, and hold air perfectly, but the front just burps badly every now and then on technical terrain.

Just wondering, will the Stans', (or should the Stan's) stop the burping of large amounts of air? Obviously it works to seal small holes, etc, I'm just wondering if Stan's will help prevent the burpies I've been experiencing specifically.

thnx

mtbr member
    dtmartin46, are those Nevegals UST?

Its got what plants crave
    The problems I've read about "tubeless" was usually poor setups like narrow rims with wide tires, or even using non-UST rims or non-UST tires. Stick to a UST/UST setup and it will be reliable.

Come on, dare me!
    I second that. As an alternative, if you're looking for a lighter setup, you can opt for the new «tubeless-ready» AM tires. I personnally ride on Specialized 2Bliss (Eskar 2.3 in front and Purgatory 2.2 rear) tires on my AM bike and couldn't be more happy. I've lowered the total rotational weight on my wheels, where it counts most and gained in grip and comfort. As said, a right setup for your weight, terrain and style of riding is key.

Jerome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    dtmartin46, are those Nevegals UST?
    Yup, Rims are UST, as are the tires. I have the 'standard' Nevegals, not the stick-E or Dual compound ones.

mtbr member
    Jerome, what do you run for rims? I am debating going tubeless on my AM bike, I have DT 5.1d rims and have read that with the right tires they are a pretty good tubeless rim.

hithard
    I switch to tubeless about 2 years ago. I have not had a flat on the trail sense. I do 6ft drops and some 4 ft ones with flat landings in rocks. I keep them around 35psi. I do carry a tube just in case but I have never used it. I usually end up giving to one of my buddies that run tubes. I also go to the local DH track with no problems.
    Specialized Pitch for the win!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmartin46
    TNC - Nice pics.

I've just switched to tubeless, and have been having my front burp a few times. Im running Kenda nevegals, and Mavic XM 819 rims, and so far, not using any stans. They sealed up fine, and hold air perfectly, but the front just burps badly every now and then on technical terrain.

Just wondering, will the Stans', (or should the Stan's) stop the burping of large amounts of air? Obviously it works to seal small holes, etc, I'm just wondering if Stan's will help prevent the burpies I've been experiencing specifically.

thnx
    My nevegals burped like crazy with a similar setup (Non UST 2.35 Nevegals, crossmax xl's and stans) Once I dumped the nevegals and went to WTB tires (3 different varieties...and even a 2.5 Weirwolf on that relatively skinny rim,) have not had a burp since, knock on wood. Only one flat and that was a pinch on a rocky downhill that actuall dented the rim(and ruined the tire...2 years old at that point though)

mtbr member
    have you ever successfully patched a tubeless tire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There is no con,been using tubeless six years on my DH,FR and cross country bikes with stans,if you prefer to ride mostly flat free why use tubes.

mtbr member

patching, sealing tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    1) You already carry a spare tube anyway don't you? I carry a tubeless patch kit as well.

2) If you don't have a CO2 cartrige, just throw in your tube and use that instead

3) I know it sounds like a bunch of BS, but I've probably had less than 5 flats and I've been running tubeless since Mavic first came out with a tubeless XC rim.. probably some time in 2002? One flat was a pinch from running low pressure and casing a jump onto sharp rocks... something that would have flatted virtually any tire. Others were in urban scenarios, one from sharp glass/metal, others from stair gaps gone wrong. For me it's been bombproof and I absolutely will not run tubes ever again if I can avoid it.
    Have you ever successfully patched a tubeless tire? I mean, permanently, so that you didn't have to replace the tire? Also, do you use a sealant (Stan's, Superjuice)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Mounting a tire is enough of a pain that switching for one day because of a race or changes in the weather isn't really an option (this doesn't stop me from running tubeless, just wish I could throw a small knobbed tire on for a race).