mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Trying to find out what bike I need.

I tried out a full suspension enduro mountain bike on the trails. And I ended up locking up the rear suspension for most of the trail. So I think that it would be a bit too much, and I wasn't bothered at all with bumps. I looked at mostly XC and Trail bikes after that and I am not sure which of the two to get. I looked at videos of XC and I mostly see them riding on flowy hard packed trails with very little bumps, but then I see them riding on much more technical sections which look similar to what a trail bike would be riding on.

I won't be climbing much, because as much as there are climbs there are descents and there are a lot of them big and small which make it seem like a fun roller coaster. There are many berms and twisties at the end of each descent. The trails are not necessarily flowy but they can be. You are expected to hit a root for every 10-15 feet you cover sometimes a little more. Another thing is, you won't be riding in a straight line for long, there are many corners and the bike I was using had 29'' wheels which I found hard to maneuver but it can just be very much my lack of skills.

I would also like to use my bike for the dirt jumps and pump track. But other than that this bike will be only used for singletrack, I already have a daily driver. So far I have saved up $1200 since I understand that mountain bikes tend to be more expensive than other bikes since the added suspension and features.

What would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    for that $$$ I would buy a 29er hardtail------all the big boys make one and they are about that cost----maybe a bit less. These are fun bikes and from what you describe would be a good fit on your trails--they all probably have the same fork so I'd get the one that is the best deal

You simply do not yet have $$$ for a fill suspension bike---certainly not an enduro rig---and from your trails is not a good fit anyhow

WillWorkForTrail
    That's sound advice. In that price range, you're not going to get a FS MTB that's going to keep you happy very long. What brands do you have access to locally?

MTB B'dos
    If you seriously want to use it for DJ as well as trail, the only bike that will not suck at that is a Trail oriented HT and that's also, as said, where your budget is at right now. You should be able to pick up a nice trail HT with decent fork and 10spd, maybe 11spd parts for that amount. What wheel size I think will be determined by your height as much as what/where you ride, if you're under 5'4", then I definitely say look at 650B/27.5", but don't rule out 29ers designed right with short stays <17" and a head angle 67-69 degrees, longer reach and shorter stem with wider bar.

Here's a good one, just within your budget
    https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-ht...18-c2x23712343

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree, find a 27.5 hardtail with trail/aggressive geometry. It should work good for trail riding and you can do some pump track and dirt jumps on it too. Personally I would choose steel over aluminum for a hardtail frame of this nature.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    To respond to Cotharyus, the only brands my lbs carries is Trek.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    /thread

That's the answer to the question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks for the help guys, the Roscoe seems good for me.

Short-Change-Hero
    Only thing that I really dont like about the Roscoe is that it is a 68.5* head angle. That seems a bit steep for "trail" riding but will work more for your DJ and XC trail oriented riding. But only other offering Trek has right now is the Stache which may be more than you want.

mtbr member
    Something is seriously wrong here:

The poster described his desires, his riding parameters, his budget, and was honest.

Then, people actually gave bike recommendations that matched what he was looking for, not what they are currently riding.

Seriously, I think MTBR is broken.