mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Trying to figure out which bike to get rid of

I just started hitting the trails again after a few years, and the very first day I went out on my Nishiki Manitoba (old school :P ) it was stolen that night. I have a backup Trek 4300 and a KHS Fxt Sport at my parents house. I know little to nothing about mountain bikes as I've always just had my Manitoba and had no need to upgrade or fix it up, other than tune it.

So here I am trying to figure out which bike to get rid of and which one to ride. They are both all stock but I don't mind mixing and matching some of the parts if possible.

The KHS front forks are seized, so I'd have to use the Trek's if I wanted to keep it (if it fits). The Trek has a finicky derailer and other gear related problems as well.

So yeah, which bike should I concentrate on upgrading? I realize one is FS and the other a HT but they both have their perks while riding.... And dont say buy a new bike :P I'm a poor college student.

Thanks for the help,

-Ryan.

Former Bike Wrench
    Keep the Trek 4300...the FXT Sport is a really cheap full suspension and despite the Trek's shifting problems (probably just needs a good tuneup)...it is a substantially better bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thats what I was thinking... although I have to admit, a FS bike is fun as hell to ride....

Anyone else have opinions?

And for curiousity's sake, how does switching forks on bikes work? What would I have to know/measure to see if it would fit, or are they all universal?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Keep the trek. It doesnt sound like a FS bike will be all that necessary for you plus, riding a hardtail will make you a better rider in the end. It doesn't allow for some of the riding mistakes that a full suspension compensates for. The gear shifting problems is just an adjustment. With a tune up and some lube, it will be like a brand new bike

And as far as changing the forks, if your lucky the head tubes will be the same length. If it isnt, it may need spacers, or need to be cut, or just wont fit at all. take it to you LBS. It will be worth it to have a fork thats properly installed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    switch forks can be easy but the tube lengh is what can be the problem (assuming they are both the same diameter). Measure the bottom of the head tube to the top of the stem clamp and see if the treks fork will stick out of the KHS's head tube enough to put a stem on it. If it does then you are probably good to go.