Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,698

    trouble switching to flats

    I've been riding clipless for a while now, and decided to give flats a try mostly for things like logs and wheelies and drops and other low speed hooliganish stuff. I'm comfortable riding at the same level as with the clipless, but i've run into a few problems that are really killing it for me.

    1) when i have my seat in the 'high enough' position, i clamp it with my thighs when i go over rolling jumps. My feet move an inch or so on the pedals, so i get a little 'yike!' and have to readjust. If i lower the seat then it's not an issue, but thats no good for rolling singletrack.

    2) i seem to have horrible body geometry, or something. i point my toes outward as i pedal, so half my foot isn't supported when im comfortable, while my heals bump the chainstays if i move my feet inward. I have an injury in my left knee, and the left side suffers more. Longer pedal spindles would fix this (i need wider Q factor, right?) Clipless keep my feet aligned.

    3) in fast singletrack, i keep lifting my feet off the pedals at the top of my strokes, especially at high rpm. I figured that would stop as i got used to flats, but it's still happening. When combined with #2, it's really annoying having to constantly readjust my feet..

    I think im gonna go back to clipless, and im a little bummed. Any advice?
    .

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jetta_mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    476
    What kind of flats are you riding? and what kind of shoes are you wearing?

    I ride with skate shoes on my DH/FR flats and have no foot moving issues.

  3. #3
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    I ride flats, Easton's, but i always recommend riding what is most comfortable for you. You sound like your comfortable with clipless.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  4. #4
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,698
    I'm riding skate shoes on admittedly crappy flats (hey, they came with the bike) The pins are a cast part of the pedal body. I borrowed a set of old Prime bmx pedals, but it hardly made a difference.

    Do you put the spindle under the ball of your foot or on the inside of your arch? I'd tried both and neither seems ideal.
    .

  5. #5
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I'm riding skate shoes on admittedly crappy flats (hey, they came with the bike) The pins are a cast part of the pedal body. I borrowed a set of old Prime bmx pedals, but it hardly made a difference.

    Do you put the spindle under the ball of your foot or on the inside of your arch? I'd tried both and neither seems ideal.
    Quality flats make a huge difference. My top 3 pic's
    1) Easton Flat Boy
    2) Azonic A-Frame
    3) Wellgo B67

    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Pa...ntain-True.htm

    Shoes also will help greatly. I have used the 661's for a long time & they are awesome. 5-10's get the best reviews & might be the best choice.

    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/1-Cl...ntain-True.htm
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  6. #6
    attending to my vices
    Reputation: moshelove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I've been riding clipless for a while now, and decided to give flats a try mostly for things like logs and wheelies and drops and other low speed hooliganish stuff. I'm comfortable riding at the same level as with the clipless, but i've run into a few problems that are really killing it for me.

    1) when i have my seat in the 'high enough' position, i clamp it with my thighs when i go over rolling jumps. My feet move an inch or so on the pedals, so i get a little 'yike!' and have to readjust. If i lower the seat then it's not an issue, but thats no good for rolling singletrack.

    2) i seem to have horrible body geometry, or something. i point my toes outward as i pedal, so half my foot isn't supported when im comfortable, while my heals bump the chainstays if i move my feet inward. I have an injury in my left knee, and the left side suffers more. Longer pedal spindles would fix this (i need wider Q factor, right?) Clipless keep my feet aligned.

    3) in fast singletrack, i keep lifting my feet off the pedals at the top of my strokes, especially at high rpm. I figured that would stop as i got used to flats, but it's still happening. When combined with #2, it's really annoying having to constantly readjust my feet..

    I think im gonna go back to clipless, and im a little bummed. Any advice?
    1) good flats make a big difference. I had some redline ones that were all cast and they did not grip that well and wore down. I recently got the Wellgo's and they are sharp as daggers. My feet feel pretty stuck laterally to the pedals. You can also get some 5.10 impact shoes, I have not tried them but if you read the reviews people rave about how sticky they are.

    2) Don't ride like a duck!

    3) This one is pretty simple, you just need time to re-train your feet to apply consistant downward pressure to the pedal. stop trying to pull it up and just keep steady pressure down.


    There is no substitute for proper technique so go get some decent flats with replacable pins and a nice concave shape and put the power down. I dig riding flats and don't think I will go back to my clipless set up again.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6
    Im about to go t flats from stps.

    I've heard from a couple of people that it can take quite a while to adjust.

    One thing someone told me was that your hand position on the bars should be adjusted. More curled over the bar so that you tend to pull your body onto the pedals.

  8. #8
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbah
    Im about to go t flats from stps.

    I've heard from a couple of people that it can take quite a while to adjust.

    One thing someone told me was that your hand position on the bars should be adjusted. More curled over the bar so that you tend to pull your body onto the pedals.
    You will have to be able to go from spinning circles to mashing, this means sacrificing climbing ability unless your leg's are built like rods & feet pistons.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  9. #9
    Get Down Do you
    Reputation: Muggsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    382
    Get these and I promise no matter what shoes you are wearing you will grip without issue. Just get some shin guards too.

    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.



    [SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •