Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Triple suspension mountain bike.

Hey everyone this is reconbikes back at you and i want to let you see a preview bike ive been working on here are some sketches, anyone else seen a bike like this i have searched all over no videos or fourms thanks have fun looking this is currently being built.
    Name:  050.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  21.0 KBTriple suspension mountain bike.-051.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not being a dick but what's the point? Seems no different than if I used a suspension seat post on my fs. Plus, the seat tube angle looks like it will change significantly when the upper shock compresses.

I'm far, far from being an engineer so pardon me if I'm missing the purpose of the design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    smooth ride over small to big jumps less impact punch more comfort like a pillow or a cloud its like you are Lakitu off of Mario i had to Google that. and plus i need to get a new bike mine is about shot. i crashed it and bent the rim and dislocated my knee the jump is 5-7 feet i went to fast and the bike started leaning and i fell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Where you sitting on the saddle during that jump?

Anyway, I'm bowing out now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    nope standing high and back, i can ride a unicycle i was surprised i fell

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Done many years ago by JP Morgen in San Francisco..

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks were did you find this information at thanks!

The Fastest of Bananas
    From experience, being around mountain bikes since the start.

No to be a jerk, but that design is pretty pointless. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Crazy design! would love to see an actual product, I also love car crash videos and riots.

I'm no bike designer, but those stays may need some work, it looks to me there is nothing to stop lateral movements around that rear shock - as in the shock is providing structural stability which is a very bad thing. Either throw a link in similar to a santa cruz / intense or make the the rear stays a sold triangle.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just my thoughts on it....
    A none HL rear suspension will probably let the bike bob when peddling and your sketch would have a falling rate so effectively the suspension will feel softer the more travel you use up. You are letting the seat bob up and down when peddling too with a suspension that is only really absorbing your body weight and has little movement due to the wheels as your existing suspension should be doing this job anyway. You are adding weight and complexity to a problem which you feel is there having faced it once and admit that it was an accident where you went too fast and had the bike leaning when you landed so even this solution would not have stopped the crash....

The White Jeff W

Re: Triple suspension mountain bike.

There's a reason you haven't seen a design like that before.

Credit to you for thinking outside the box but its not something I would buy.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    ?troll, or serious...

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    serious..

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    yeah i agree with that the stays need work i came up with a new stay design thanks
    !

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    How is this an improvement over just sticking a Cane Creek Thudbuster on any existing FS mountain bike? (which, BTW, basically nobody does because it serves no purpose).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    What, no Flex-Stem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    1) Terrible idea.

2) Improve your sketches

3) If you are interested in building bikes get into mechanical engineering or related.

Good luck!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    This will be a big hit at Wal-Mart

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I doubt it, even wal mart knows better

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    I doubt it, even wal mart knows better
    But the people buying their bikes don't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Keep designing and don't let people be ***** to you. To be honest, it's not the best design, but it's great that you're trying. Designs like this have been tried before, but most people realized that riders prefer to have their suspension working when they sit or stand, not just when they sit. Add to that the added weight of a second shock, and you can get a better riding design with less complexity.

Here are a few similar examples from the past, both worked better when seated vs. standing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No "sandwich" - those bikes you are showing are URTs (uniform rear triangle). That's not what the OP is thinking of. His design is more like adding a suspension seatpost to a full suspension design. It's a bad idea, but the best way to do it would be to use one of those carbon beam designs for the seat suspension. (Look up Allsop Softride). Less moving parts that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    No "sandwich" - those bikes you are showing are URTs (uniform rear triangle).
    no, they aren't. URTs are characterized by the crank not being suspended. Both those bikes accomplish something similar to what it looked like the OP was getting at, only using the same shock for both actions (wheel and seat suspension). URTs essentially only worked when the rider was seated.

It's a fine line, thinking out of the box vs ideas that have been tried and fallen out of favor. As you can see, designs like this have been tried and never gained traction, but then again 29" wheels were tried and the idea discarded in the 80s, long before the current iteration.

EDR
    Kudos to you for envisioning something and building it. Go be a mech eng, seems right up your alley.

As to the design, meh. Why would I want the distance from the seat to the bottom bracket constantly changing? Seems like an incredibly annoying trait. Plus the extra weight and complexity, it's all too much with no improvement imo, in fact quite the opposite of improvement.

Don't let the jeers stop you though! Builld it, ride it, improve on it and build it again! Through research, trial and error come results and you are building a foundation of knowledge and experience for yourself that will serve you well in the future (I'm assuming you are quite young).

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Where you sitting on the saddle during that jump?

Anyway, I'm bowing out now.
    Yeah, you stand when you go down hills, therefore causing the air shock to be useless. There is no need for the seat shock, and how will it be climbing? Heavy and bobbing the whole way. So you have extra weight and a bad climbing thing for descending with a low travel steel coil shock that can come on Kmart bikes.
    Seriously, rethink that idea.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast