mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Trek Slash 7 vs Norco Truax 2

Hey everyone,

I have been searching for a new AM bike and I've narrowed it down to two, 2013 Trek Slash 7 ($3300) and the Norco Truax 2 ($2800)
    (I don't have enough post to give you the links to them -_- )

Both bikes seem good for downhill, low HT angles, 160mm+ suspension, 20mm thru axles, atc... But the Truax is quite cheaper than the Slash, and seems to have better suspension, 180mm coil vs 160mm air. This makes me wonder if the Truax sacrificed components elsewhere, any thoughts?. I am 6' 235lbs so I am leaning towards the Truax due to its coil shocks, anyone have experience on either or both of these bikes and cares to share their input? Also, given my weight, do you think I would be fine on the Slash or should I lean towards coil suspension? Thanks for the input in advance.

P.S. Other suggestions welcome, trying to stay in the $3000 range.

mtbr member
    I'd lean towards the slash. I will admit I'm biased towards trek after having owned 2 full suspension bikes from them and being very happy.

What about the specialized enduro?
    Yeti SB 66?

Those are both mid to high 3k but I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a deal. Also, ride as many as possible and picks what feels best.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Funny you mention those 2, I looked at both of them and I ran into 2 problems.

The Specialized Enduro, which was my first pick, can't be found at any bike shops near me, several carry them but they are out of stock of 2012 models and I was told they won't get 2013 models until March. Also, when I talked to people on the phone about that bike they kept getting it confused with other models, like the regular $3200 Specialized Enduro Evo was a mystery to them, this made searching very frustrating.

The sb66 is a bit out of my price range $3500+ before taxes; it also seems like that bike isn't quite as built as others of a similar price range?

One of my fears it not being able to test ride the bikes. I have looked around and no one seems to have demos of 26" FS bikes (Southern Ca). Hopefully I can get sized up on a similar model before ordering =/

Edit: I may have found a 2012 Enduro Evo, are there any significant differences that between the 2012 and 2013 model that justify spending the extra cash on the 2012?
    Last edited by TheMushroom; 02-06-2013 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    I demoed a Slash, it was really fun. Great AM bike imo. The DRCV rear shock is outstanding. It was the highest price build kit though, the components probably added to the experience.

Cant say anything about Norco, I've never ridden any of their bikes.

Inrideo est vita
    I demoed a Truax and it was a lot of fun. I rode it with everything stock and frankly not well set up for my weight, and it climbed amazing for a portly bike, much better than I would have dared hope for over the technical climbs on the hill. Needless to say it was all grins and cheers on the downhill.
    Norco has good warranty and killer spec for the price, they always do.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Someone told me the fork on the Norco and Slash both suck? Any thoughts? I have been looked at reviews on both, harder to find for the Norco, but wanted riders input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMushroom View Post
    Funny you mention those 2, I looked at both of them and I ran into 2 problems.

The Specialized Enduro, which was my first pick, can't be found at any bike shops near me, several carry them but they are out of stock of 2012 models and I was told they won't get 2013 models until March. Also, when I talked to people on the phone about that bike they kept getting it confused with other models, like the regular $3200 Specialized Enduro Evo was a mystery to them, this made searching very frustrating.

The sb66 is a bit out of my price range $3500+ before taxes; it also seems like that bike isn't quite as built as others of a similar price range?

One of my fears it not being able to test ride the bikes. I have looked around and no one seems to have demos of 26" FS bikes (Southern Ca). Hopefully I can get sized up on a similar model before ordering =/

Edit: I may have found a 2012 Enduro Evo, are there any significant differences that between the 2012 and 2013 model that justify spending the extra cash on the 2012?
    Not sure if there is any major difference or not. If you are happy with it and the price then I wouldn't worry about the 2013. Is it the yellow and red one? I have 0 experience with X fusion products so don't know how the fork or shock would be.

The 2013 seems to be a different frame design and bumps travel to 180mm. You also get a fox coil and x9 and x7 as opposed to x5 and x7.

Depends on the discount on the 2012 model
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    They both look really similar!! both good I would prefer the Trek but that's just me!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets View Post
    Not sure if there is any major difference or not. If you are happy with it and the price then I wouldn't worry about the 2013. Is it the yellow and red one? I have 0 experience with X fusion products so don't know how the fork or shock would be.

The 2013 seems to be a different frame design and bumps travel to 180mm. You also get a fox coil and x9 and x7 as opposed to x5 and x7.

Depends on the discount on the 2012 model
    Thanks for that

Thanks for all the replies, I plan on making my decision within the next few days. Narrowed it down a bit more the the Enduro Evo vs Truax 2 based on people's input elsehwere on the forum; there just seems to not be a whole lot of information on the 2013 Norco Truax 2, although the $2800 price is nice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMushroom View Post
    Thanks for that

Thanks for all the replies, I plan on making my decision within the next few days. Narrowed it down a bit more the the Enduro Evo vs Truax 2 based on people's input elsehwere on the forum; there just seems to not be a whole lot of information on the 2013 Norco Truax 2, although the $2800 price is nice...

I used a slash (rented in a park) then I owned a truax for a year an a half.
    They are simply different bikes, both wonderful. Slash is for agressive AM, truax is a freeride that can climb well 1000/1200 m.
    A correct comparison with truax would be done with the scratch coil.
    I choosed for the truax for budget, but after few I realized i had been lucky. Slash is very quick and light, but truax is a very stable platform also at high speed and trasmits a good confidence in drops and long jumps.
    That's my 5 cents.

Sorry for my delay....