Big Hittin'

Trek Scratch Air vs. Specialized Enduro comp

ok so i narrowed it down two these 2 bikes. what u guys think?
    ill be doin some downhill, trails and light xc (drops, short climbs and trails.)

i know the scratch air is newish so not too many people will have them. seems the scratch air will be more pedal-able then previous models. seems to have the same gearing as the enduro as well. plenty of people have the enduro so i was wondering your guys thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would go with the Scratch, I tried one out last summer and it was great as long as you don't want to do to much up hill, Also seems like specialized is always screwing around with the design and trek has a proven design unless they changed it this
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Trek Scratch.

Of all the bikes I demo'd this season, the Scratch was my favorite, by far.
    A great thread about it:
    Trek scratch8, Giant Reign X1 or Specialized enduro evo (All 2011 models)

Big Hittin'
    did u try the scratch or scratch air? if it was the air how did it pedal goin up?

my ski lift mountain is about 2 hours away, my local xc trail is 20 min away, but its got singltrack, alildownhill and some short climbs so im not too worried.

wondering if i should go with the scratch or scratch air.
    Last edited by nokfir2; 11-05-2010 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I demo'd a Scratch 9 coil. Even with a coil, it pedaled great.
    If I were buying one, and it was my only bike, I'd go for the air version.
    The Scratch is one of those "game changer" type of bikes. I'd have no problem taking it on a 30mile, climb-fest XC ride one day, then on a DH trail the next. It is an extremely versatile bike.

I'm with stupid
    Enduro will do it all and do it well, after all thats what they were made for. I say test ride them both before you even think about dropping any coin. I talked myself into a remedy being the best choice then went and demoed on and yuck so back to square one. Word of advice is go ride all the bikes you are thinking and bring a pen and paper and write down likes and dislikes. You dont by a car off the internet and what others think or say drives nice, so dont do it with a 4k bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    Even with a coil, it pedaled great.
    Most bikes pedal every bit as well, if not better, with a coil, as it avoids the mid-stroke-wallow that is associated with air cans. The penalty (a pound or two) certainly isn't going to change the way a bike pedals....

OP - the main difference between these two bikes is FIT.

The scratch has a tighter cockpit, so try them on both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Go test it for sure. For example, I've ridden a Trek Scratch in a parking lot (nothing on the trails), and the seat angle drove me nuts. Some people like the feeling of sitting right above the crank, and admittedly it probably does give you more pedaling power, but I don't like the feel. I felt way to high in the air when the seat height was adjusted properly, where I feel nice and low in my Enduro. Nothing I'd be able to calculate on paper. Another thing to keep in mind is price. Honestly, you pretty much need to try and test these two bikes somehow before dropping the $$$. Both have advantages and disadvantages on paper, it's mostly up to you and what you want. They're both great bikes.

EDIT: Couldn't have said it better than CharacterZero.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bottom line is to test both and get what you like. Some arm chair bike dudes on the internet can only go so far in choosing your bike for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    But, if I like a bike, everyone else should, too...
    As everyone has said, ride 'em both if you can, they are both great bikes.

I will say, I did not expect to like the Scratch as much as I do. There were things about it I didn't think I'd like, on paper (short-ish ETT, and especially the high-ish bottom bracket.)
    But on the trail, this bike just clicked with me - great bike. Still really like the Enduro, and my own personal 2010 Reign X, though, too.

Oh, and hitechredneck, right there with 'ya on the Remedy - nice bike, but do not want.

Big Hittin'
    thanks guys. problem my local lbs's dont really stock the am downhil;l bikes cuz theres not too much market for them around here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wanted a scratch air bad until I realized I could buy a DW link Ibis mojo HD frame for 200 bucks less than a Scratch.I found one at Laguna cycles.The bike pedals way better than I was hoping.Rails corners and rips DH.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    The Scratch is one of those "game changer" type of bikes. I'd have no problem taking it on a 30mile, climb-fest XC ride one day, then on a DH trail the next. It is an extremely versatile bike.
    Sounds like what I spent the last year riding on my Enduro. Except add Bike Park to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    I say test ride them both
    This.^^^