mtbr member

Trek Remedy vs Diamondback Release 2 vs Specialized Stumpjumper

Looking to purchase my first full suspension mountain bike and looking for feedback.

I am currently riding a specialized hardrock that I have had since I was a teenager; and I am out riding the bike on downhill trails and jumps (frame is a size too small, old style non-disk brakes). The primary trails this will be ridden on are moderate speed, decent size jumps, and involve riding back up the face of the ski hill to repeat the trail. I grew up racing motocoss and want a bike that will be comfortable in the air.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska which limits the local bike shop options. Of the two actual bike shops in town, one has a Trek Remedy 7 ($3k) and one has a Specialized Stumpjumper 27.5+ bike ($2,800). Neither with pedals, so factoring in a little extra money there.

Also considering a Diamondback Release 2. I can ship this to family in the lower 48 for free and fly back with it in it's original box without extra baggage costs within my chosen airline's policies. The components on this bike are identical / competitive to the Remedy and the price is significantly less ($2,200).

I am dead-set on 27.5 wheels. I want the bike to remain flickable / playful. I am not against plus size tires but I don't think they are my number one choice. I have no brand loyalty and while re-sale value is a factor, it is not critical as I intend to hold onto the bike for many years. Assembly / maintenance is not a major concern, I am a do it myself type of person and on the upper end of mechanical inclination / ability.

Of those three options, what do you guys think? Is there another option I should be considering?

mtbr member
    Since you sound reasonably self-sufficient and not dependent on an LBS, you might look at a Canyon Strive AL6.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    You can get a release/catch for 1100-1300. They're crazy cheap and getting very good reviews. They borrowed santa Cruz's VPP suspension.

I think trek and spec generally don't offer much for the money. Not that they're bad bikes by any means, they're both great, but these days other bikes are great too, or even better, and almost always cheaper.

mtbr member
    The 27.5+ stumpy will feel closer to a 29er than a regular 27.5 fwiw.

mtbr member
    For the jumping that you're describing, I'd probably rule out plus bikes.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    The DB Release gets good reviews and you get carbon for the price of alloy in the other builds. Haven't ridden it for myself. I owned a 2017 Remedy 9 RSL, it was an awesome all around bike that climbs well for the amount of travel it has, it jumps great and it's stable at speed. The stumpy is decent but it has a shorter reach the geometry didn't work well for me.

Most higher end bikes don't come with pedals but a lot of shops will throw them in free with purchase. You can negotiate a lot with local shops, I'd at least ask them to throw on some composite flat pedals like RaceFace Chesters.

It's also worth checking out the YT Jeffsy if you are considering ordering a bike. You get a lot of nice components for the money.

my church is the woods

Check out the new Canyon Spectral. $2,400 gets you a heck of a bike with GX eagle, Pike fork, etc.