Huckin' trails
    Any of these will fit the bill.

Get the one you like best after demo and get us some pics !
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Trek Remedy, Slash or Rocky Mtn Slayer?

I'm looking to up grade from my 2012 Trek EX8. I love this bike, but now that my skills have increased, my riding style has changed a bit. I ride in the NorCal area, hard, loose pack dirt with gravel in between.

I'm 210 lbs without gear and about 220-230 with gear (depends on the ride).

I'm looking at the following three bikes:

Trek Remedy 9 - similar to the EX8 but with more travel.
    Trek Slash 9 - different bike, sounds like it's great for descents.
    Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 - solid bike, straightup geo, appears to have good components.

Anyone have experience with these bikes? Should I add a few to the list to demo? Comments/suggestions are appreicated.

I'd like to keep my EX8 if possible for more XC rides.

I plan to demo the bikes (if possible) before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    David - I will once I decide on a bike and purchase it.

Anyone with any experience with the bikes listed above???

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Remedy and Slash albeit not extensively.

If I had to choose from your list, it would be the Slash as I could go anywhere and ride anything with it.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the Remedy, its plenty for me. I'm 5'6" 160 pounds. The Slash is a bit heavy for me.

If I were your size, whats another 10 mm Get the Slash.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It really depends what you want the remedy and slash are very very similar (albeit the slash feels a bit more solid). They both climb similarly and the suspension travel is something you may not even notice (either will feel like plenty coming from an EX). I personally would go for the Slash because the frame is stronger (especially given that your a larger rider) and it will allow you to ride more aggressively with less anxiety about destroying your $5000 ride. Also the slash has proven itself at bike parks and super d events meaning you could even go ride some at northstar if you wanted to, the remedy although not holding you back would be a little out of its element.

The Slayer on the other hand my personal favorite of the three is an extremely strong bike which hosts almost an inch more travel than the Slash, but pedals like the remedy. In addition to some bling factor with the formula brakes and anodized paint scheme, the rocky will be different than everybody else you ride with. What I see in the Slayer is a bike much like the Slash or Remedy with even more travel and more potential to ride aggressively (jumps, drops, downhill shuttling you name it) but maintains the ability to pedal up hill (and even optimizes it over the Treks).

As someone suggested you may want to ride all three, the remedy will be light and very agile, while the other two will lumber along a bit more ( although they are quite light as well). The rocky mountain will undoubtedly however feel the most solid in all condition in terms of lateral frame flexibility and strength. Also unlike the Trek's which run proprietary rear suspension the Slayer frame is more flexible (meaning if you being a larger rider felt to control the pedaling platform more readily), in short you could run pretty much any rear shock on the market (any coil or high volume air shock).

mtbr member
    I'm a little bias because I bought one......get the slash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode a Slayer 70 last year, and now a Slash. Both are well built, durable, and fun. Slayer may have slight edge on the climb, but the 'straight up' geo is a little sketch on teh descent. Slash on other hand is slacker and really shines going down. Throw a Van on there, and you've got a mini DH that can also put some fun into your tech climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the info guys!

Focotacoma - Do you think the Slash is much stronger than the Slayer? I'll admit, I like the Slayer as I rode someone's a few weeks ago in a parking lot. It felt lighter than I expected for an AM bike. Wasn't much heavier than my EX8. Not sure if there is a Rocky dealer close by for me to demo.

I think at this point (before ride the bikes), I'm inbetween the Slayer and Slash. I think with all the input, I'm leaning (just a little) toward the Slash based on the reviews (and info from all of you) regarding the Slash's DH ability (the fun part).

djball - Why did the Slayer feel a sketch on the descent? Not slack enough? Did the Slayer have any other deficiencies or was it more a personal choice to make the move to a Slash? Also, how does your Slash feel on singletracks?

I really appreicated all the input!!!

mtbr member
    Don't rule out the Specialized Enduro or the Norco Range either.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry for the late response but assuming you haven't made your decision already. I would say you can't go wrong with either of the bikes, The slash is slightly worse at climbing than would be expected per Trek's description of the bike. Between these two bike the Slayer is probably a better climber, both however are solid enough for park riding and some downhill stuff. One consideration you may want to look in to is that you can use a 180mm fork on the slash without voiding the warranty if you want a more dh/freeride bike while Rocky Mountain does not condone putting a larger fork on the slayer. Finally the biggest consideration is the parts spec that comes on each bike. The Slash unlike the Slayer has a very consistent parts spec of standard high quality components (for instance flu xo drivetrain etc). The Slayer on the other hand has a more mixed parts spec all high quality components but a mix (more like what one would see on a custom built bike) lots of component manufactures are used to supply different parts on the slayer. The Slash overall has a better drivetrain and possibly a better (more high tech) frame but it does come at a sizable cost penalty.

usually cranky
    if you can keep the fuel get the slash but if not get the remedy, the best compromise for pedaling and decending.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for all the advice.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to purchase a new bike yet due to unexpected expenses. However, I did demo (in a parking lot) the Slash and I must say, I was very impressed with it.

As b-kul mentioned, the Remedy would be the best compromise for accending and decending. I'll look into the Remedy as the price is much lower than the Slash. But I would love the Slash if I could afford it.

I've ruled out the Slayer because I could not find a shop that carries them to demo. Also, I've had good luck with Trek and not having a chance to demo the Slayer was a risk.

Thanks again for all the advice. If things should change I'll definitely post a few pics!

mtbr member
    I currently ride a 2011 Fuel EX8 and I'm 6ft & 230lbs. I consider myself an aggressive trail rider bordering on enduro . I plan on entering the Whiskey Off Road next April 2013 and plan on using the Fuel EX8 as my platform to finish the race in . It honestly depends on where you expect to take your riding skill and style to. I would consider the Remedy first as a step up from the Fuel EX8, its made of carbon fiber as the Slash is an aluminum frame in the top end model. Also you might consider looking into the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO in 26 and 29 as more aggressive riding platform. I have demoed the Remedy and the Stumpjumper EVO and the EVO was just more fun to ride for me and these were the 2012 models.

mtbr member
    I was pretty astounded at how plush the rear end of the slash was when I rode it. I went to trek to buy a singlespeed and ended up test riding the slash around instead. I ended up going out the door with the singlespeed anyway but it made me catch AM fever and I sold my FS 29er. In the end I found a great deal on an Enduro and bought it instead, couldn't be happier!