Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LCW
    mtbr member

Trek Remedy 8/9 vs Specialized SJ Comp EVO vs Yeti SB66 vs SC Nomad

Looking at these 3... Basically 6" AM bike... Want something that strikes a good balance between climbing and descending...

Trek Remedy 8/9 vs Specialized SJ Comp EVO vs Yeti SB66

Maybe even looking at SC Nomad

Any thoughts on how these compare against each other for climbing, descending and pedal bob.

SJ Comp EVO appealing with the std gravity dropper post, bash guard and guide wheel. Not sure about the RS Revelation fork.

Remedy appealing with the DRCV fork and shock

Yeti appealing with the switch tech rear susp geo.

Nomad (in R version) appearling on price, and VPP I've heard good things. Not sure on the RS Lyrik fork vs a Fox.

Cheers
    Last edited by LCW; 02-22-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.3 lbs

namagomi
    The nomad and sb66 won't climb as well as the Remedy and Stumpjumper.

Do they strike a balance for you, I have no idea... Not a mind reader!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    The nomad and sb66 won't climb as well as the Remedy and Stumpjumper.

Do they strike a balance for you, I have no idea... Not a mind reader!
    Electrik is right about the climbing ability, I was basically in the same situation and had a chance to demo a few bikes.. I demo the sb66, 575, nomad, Banshee Rune, and ended up getting a 2012 Evo. All of the bikes rock I have no brand loyalties my fleet includes a niner carbon, superfly, banshee, vassago. I just wanted the best climbing, most flickable, and the lightest AM build. The EVO was it u can have it under 25lbs easy. I didn't believe all the hype, bike of the year award etc... until I rode one.

I have no experience on a Remedy but I did demo a Slash 9 at Rays and it was fun.... not so much climbing but than again I didn't mess with the settings and it was one size to large so not a fair review.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I find the Remedy the most appealing not sure why, my Dad has rode fuels for years with no problems

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    The EVO was it u can have it under 25lbs easy .
    You can ruin any of these bikes by building them light.

I've got a Yeti. Works well. Climbs well. A tricked out build with a 32 fork, reverb and proper aggressive tyres is 29lbs with pedals in a large. Dropping the weight from here by a lb. would mean taking off something I want to keep.

The yeti frame isn't light but it is solid and it wears its weight well. Talk of 25lb bikes in this category is not something I'd have any interest in.

Big S makes good bikes. Evo is one of their best. Most people comment that the loss of the brain from the rear suspension compared to the non-evo means it bobs. That has always been the assumed nature of Horst link. Doesn't stop the Evo being a very tempting proposition.

Don't have experience on a Remedy but ride a Devinci Dixon which has Spilt Pivot equivalent of ABP. That bike has a great feel. Really positive under the pedals. Yeti feels more sophisticated by comparison but no less fast, up or down.

Riding position on an sb66 not really comparable with a Nomad. The long and low position is the epitome of new school AM. Evo is similar. Nomad is much more a position for ploughing through on the basis of a big fork flattening the chunk. Remedy is probably a less extreme variation, probably best describes as neutral. You've got to ride these bikes to appreciate the differences.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    lots of good points above, I felt the same way when I rode the sb66 than switch to the nomad. Nomad is more upright, a great bulldozer....

As for the comment about ruining these bikes by building them into the sub 25lbs category, I gotta disagree.... 10 years ago your yeti would be consider light and ridiculous. Technology of bikes just gets better every year just like our smartphones... If money was no object my 5'9 135lbs frame would be on a 20lbs AM bike. Weight does not play a major roll but deep down inside we are all weight weenies...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    lots of good points above, I felt the same way when I rode the sb66 than switch to the nomad. Nomad is more upright, a great bulldozer....

As for the comment about ruining these bikes by building them into the sub 25lbs category, I gotta disagree.... 10 years ago your yeti would be consider light and ridiculous. Technology of bikes just gets better every year just like our smartphones... If money was no object my 5'9 135lbs frame would be on a 20lbs AM bike. Weight does not play a major roll but deep down inside we are all weight weenies...
    Mine is a weight weenie build... for my 6'2" 200lb frame. Seriously you can't go lighter easily without losing capability...by which I mean tyres and wheels. I love tubeless but will not run anything other than a proper ust tyre or some robust tubeless readys because everything else is squirmy. I also need decent size rotors to bring it all back to rest; I run 180s. Honestly there isn't a way of swapping out anything that wouldn't break when I didn't want it to.

A full xtr build with 1700g wheels is 28.5 lbs with a 7lb frame and anything less is useless or breaks thee laws of physics. Add a reverb and it is 29lbs. Anything less isn't worth riding (for me).

Last edited by petercarm; 02-24-2012 at 01:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i have a 2011 Spec SJ Comp Carbon and also a SB66. I'll take the SB66 any day for all-around capability. The SJ is a couple pounds lighter, but the SB is a better ride. I pedal both of them on climbs with the rear shock set 'open' on climbs (no "brain" on my SJ) and i think that's the area where they're most similar, but I don't find the SJ to be superior in the climbing department. When the going gets tough, the SB66 is the bike for me.

I can't speak to the Trek or Nomad, haven't pedaled them.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I love the Remedy. LOVELOVELOVE. That being said, I do NOT like Fox 32s at all. I recently put a Revelation on my Remedy and absolutely love it. All of my experience with Rockshox is better than all my experience with Fox, so that would tear me between the Stumpy and the Remedy. I have no experience with either of the other 2 options.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    i have a 2011 Spec SJ Comp Carbon and also a SB66. I'll take the SB66 any day for all-around capability. The SJ is a couple pounds lighter, but the SB is a better ride. I pedal both of them on climbs with the rear shock set 'open' on climbs (no "brain" on my SJ) and i think that's the area where they're most similar, but I don't find the SJ to be superior in the climbing department. When the going gets tough, the SB66 is the bike for me.

I can't speak to the Trek or Nomad, haven't pedaled them.
    I'm assuming your SJ a non-EVO? wondering how much different it would be in the descents

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Spent a couple of weeks on the Remedy and was impressed,climbed and pedal real well very predictable overall but no real improvement in comparison to my Titus EG.Remedy is a tad lighter but the EG does everything well,just recently hit a 30ft speed double on it and was rock solid!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The EVO version is slightly different, but not much. Mine has a Revelation fork...

As far as climbing differences are concerned, the suspension design between the EVO and regular SJ is pretty much the same. Shock tuning differences could be noticeable, I suppose.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I LOOOOOVE my Remedy 9. Incredible machine. Love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Grand Master Jedi
    Turner 5.Spot will hold its own in this company as well. Awesome rig! Climbs better than anything else I've owned and descends better than I can keep up with! Deals can still be found on 2011 frames!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    You can ruin any of these bikes by building them light.

I've got a Yeti. Works well. Climbs well. A tricked out build with a 32 fork, reverb and proper aggressive tyres is 29lbs with pedals in a large. Dropping the weight from here by a lb. would mean taking off something I want to keep.

The yeti frame isn't light but it is solid and it wears its weight well. Talk of 25lb bikes in this category is not something I'd have any interest in.

Big S makes good bikes. Evo is one of their best. Most people comment that the loss of the brain from the rear suspension compared to the non-evo means it bobs. That has always been the assumed nature of Horst link. Doesn't stop the Evo being a very tempting proposition.

Don't have experience on a Remedy but ride a Devinci Dixon which has Spilt Pivot equivalent of ABP. That bike has a great feel. Really positive under the pedals. Yeti feels more sophisticated by comparison but no less fast, up or down.

Riding position on an sb66 not really comparable with a Nomad. The long and low position is the epitome of new school AM. Evo is similar. Nomad is much more a position for ploughing through on the basis of a big fork flattening the chunk. Remedy is probably a less extreme variation, probably best describes as neutral. You've got to ride these bikes to appreciate the differences.

I test rode the EVO Carbon this weekend at the Southeast Bike Expo. The suspension did not bob one bit, and in fact I liked the rear shock better than the Sworks 29er with the brain.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to ride the Remedy, but the Fuel EX 9.8 I tested was very fun. Better climber than the EVO but didn't do IT for me as well as the EVO.

mtbr member
    I have been on an EVO for a month or so. It is quickly becoming the best bike I have ever owned. It pedals really good for a bike with 150mm of travel, I notice a little bob but not much. When the trail turns down or gets really flowy is when the bike comes alive. It just wants to be thrown around and pushed as hard as you can push it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Looking at these 3... Basically 6" AM bike... Want something that strikes a good balance between climbing and descending...

Trek Remedy 8/9 vs Specialized SJ Comp EVO vs Yeti SB66

Maybe even looking at SC Nomad

Any thoughts on how these compare against each other for climbing, descending and pedal bob.

SJ Comp EVO appealing with the std gravity dropper post, bash guard and guide wheel. Not sure about the RS Revelation fork.

Remedy appealing with the DRCV fork and shock

Yeti appealing with the switch tech rear susp geo.

Nomad (in R version) appearling on price, and VPP I've heard good things. Not sure on the RS Lyrik fork vs a Fox.

Cheers
    Sorry to add yet another couple of bikes, but have you considered the Ibis Mojo HD or Pivot Mach 5.7? Like the 5 Spot, they have their own flavor of DW Link and are great climbers and are fabulous on the decent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Sorry to add yet another couple of bikes, but have you considered the Ibis Mojo HD or Pivot Mach 5.7? Like the 5 Spot, they have their own flavor of DW Link and are great climbers and are fabulous on the decent.
    +1 on the HD or 5.7.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just to emphasise the climbing prowess of the SB66... mine is currently running with a 160mm fork so a 65.5 head angle. Without any use of propedal and without any climbing assistance from the fork I bagged 6th place on a local dirt track climb (out of 62) on Strava yesterday while out on a group ride. I'm in my forties, I'm about 10lbs overweight and I'm running flat pedals. This was on Sunday morning having had a good late afternoon and night ride on Saturday.

It handled a steep road climb out of the saddle once again with no propedal and just rock solid power delivery. The 2.35 Bontrager XR4 tubeless up front isn't exactly a fast rolling tyre at the low pressures I run.

I did adjust my settings to run slightly less sag than previously (actually spot on yeti's book sag figure of ~28%) and this definitely unleashed this climbing performance. I'm extremely impressed with this from a 30lb do-anything bike.

Must have had my spinach.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    +1 HD; awesome bike Nomad may be a little more plush, but the HD climbs like an animal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    Turner 5.Spot will hold its own in this company as well. Awesome rig! Climbs better than anything else I've owned and descends better than I can keep up with! Deals can still be found on 2011 frames!
    And Turner is selling the 2011 bikes for ~$1695, which is not terrible. The stumpy and Trek are great bikes as well.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    Just to emphasise the climbing prowess of the SB66... mine is currently running with a 160mm fork so a 65.5 head angle. Without any use of propedal and without any climbing assistance from the fork I bagged 6th place on a local dirt track climb (out of 62) on Strava yesterday while out on a group ride. I'm in my forties, I'm about 10lbs overweight and I'm running flat pedals. This was on Sunday morning having had a good late afternoon and night ride on Saturday.

It handled a steep road climb out of the saddle once again with no propedal and just rock solid power delivery. The 2.35 Bontrager XR4 tubeless up front isn't exactly a fast rolling tyre at the low pressures I run.

I did adjust my settings to run slightly less sag than previously (actually spot on yeti's book sag figure of ~28%) and this definitely unleashed this climbing performance. I'm extremely impressed with this from a 30lb do-anything bike.

Must have had my spinach.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

that's pretty impressive... i'm sure you're not giving yourself enough credit... it's usually more the engine than the bike...

LCW
    mtbr member
    how does base Spec Enduro Comp compare with SJ Comp EVO? seems like there is overlap there... both same price ($3300 msrp)

SB66 also $3300 for 2012...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nomad all the way!

Thread Terrorist
    Go out and ride them all. Get what fits and feels the best. All are good bikes, but don't take advice from those that haven't tested all 3!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast