Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mizzaboom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325

    Trek Remedy 7 (2013)

    I have decided to pull the trigger on this bike. Pretty psyched. Planning on upgrading the crank set immediately with the SLX set up from my old hard tail. Couple things:

    Thoughts on this bike?

    It lists at $2649 on the Trek site (same price at my LBS). It has been a while since I have bought anything ski or bike related without being a shop employee. My question is how much wiggle room do you think I have with the SRP? Negotiation tips?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    253

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Thoughts on this bike?

    how much wiggle room do you think I have with the SRP? Negotiation tips?
    The bike is a great platform and hard to beat at that price point. The first thing I would start saving up for is a nice wheelset. You won't necessarily need it, but you'll be happy if you do.

    Shop around. If you can find lower price from another dealer that you could reasonably buy from, there's a high chance they'll price match. The advertised price is $2650, but the MSRP is slightly lower. Individual shops can pick their own sale prices in between the two. They have some wiggle room, but not a lot, a few percent.

    If you get them to knock anything off the price, find out what sort of beer the mechanics like, and reinvest the savings there. It will pay off if you ever need their support.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,250
    you should be ble to get 10-15% off no problem unless its a new release. the 2013s just came out so youre probably going to pay msrp.

  4. #4
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,205
    Paying in cash helps too . Sometimes

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mizzaboom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will do my best to bargain a little bit and see how it goes.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,106
    Mizzaboon, What size are Remedy are you looking for? A foolish buddy of mine just bought a small, and he wants to get rid of it. He's selling the complete Remedy 8 for 2100 I believe.

    PM me if you're interested.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,123
    I don't haggle with the bike shops, they don't make that much profit on bikes. But being a loyal and pleasant customer pays off in spades. I got 10% off my last two bikes on top of already discounted prices (from different shops) without asking, and they throw in freebies if they like you.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I don't haggle with the bike shops, they don't make that much profit on bikes. But being a loyal and pleasant customer pays off in spades. I got 10% off my last two bikes on top of already discounted prices (from different shops) without asking, and they throw in freebies if they like you.
    I can absolutely 100% state by fact the bike shop made $1000 profit on my last new bike purchase and it was a previous years model on sale. They make MORE on a current years high-end bikes.

    I saw their cost on the bike with my very own eyes, more than once.
    "Let the wheels spin."

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    I can absolutely 100% state by fact the bike shop made $1000 profit...

    I saw their cost on the bike with my very own eyes, more than once.
    Gross margins are not the same thing as profits. Just because the difference in what you paid and they paid appears so large does not mean they took home that much money. The difference went into all the business overhead: paying rent on the building, keeping the utilities running, and all the little costs that go into running a business. It provides working capital so they can buy next season's bikes without paying for them yet, and it covers the loss they take on all the crap that never sells, or is stolen, or breaks, or customers order and never pick up.

    Not to mention payroll: paying someone to manage a bike shop (it's a lot of unfun work for people who'd rather be riding), paying someone to wait in the shop there to talk to you and answer your questions and hopefully try to figure out which bike you really want (because not all customers read MTBR and know exactly what they want or why they should want it before they get to the shop), and paying someone in the back to build your bike, adjust the drivetrain, bleed its brakes, true the wheels, warranty the damn leaky shock, test the new shock, try to guess on some suspension settings from the barest of details about you and your riding, inspect the paint for any stupid imperfection a customer will ***** about, and put some polish on it before it ever goes on the floor.

    All that's expensive. Not only that, but those people aren't just there when you're buying a new bike. They're there all the time, often when no customers are, so that when you cook your rotor and boil your fluid you have somewhere to turn to get back on the trail the next day, because there's something huge tomorrow and you have to have your bike.

    All that was paid for by that $1000 "profit" they "made".

    Please, don't pretend that your LBS is ripping you off with their huge margins. Markup is what it is mostly because it's what it has to be to make sure there's a bike shop in the first place. If it wasn't that way, someone else would have opened up next door, undercut them, and stolen their business. The reason someone doesn't is, if they did, they couldn't keep their lights on.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Gross margins are not the same thing as profits. Just because the difference in what you paid and they paid appears so large does not mean they took home that much money. The difference went into all the business overhead: paying rent on the building, keeping the utilities running, and all the little costs that go into running a business. It provides working capital so they can buy next season's bikes without paying for them yet, and it covers the loss they take on all the crap that never sells, or is stolen, or breaks, or customers order and never pick up.

    Not to mention payroll: paying someone to manage a bike shop (it's a lot of unfun work for people who'd rather be riding), paying someone to wait in the shop there to talk to you and answer your questions and hopefully try to figure out which bike you really want (because not all customers read MTBR and know exactly what they want or why they should want it before they get to the shop), and paying someone in the back to build your bike, adjust the drivetrain, bleed its brakes, true the wheels, warranty the damn leaky shock, test the new shock, try to guess on some suspension settings from the barest of details about you and your riding, inspect the paint for any stupid imperfection a customer will ***** about, and put some polish on it before it ever goes on the floor.

    All that's expensive. Not only that, but those people aren't just there when you're buying a new bike. They're there all the time, often when no customers are, so that when you cook your rotor and boil your fluid you have somewhere to turn to get back on the trail the next day, because there's something huge tomorrow and you have to have your bike.

    All that was paid for by that $1000 "profit" they "made".

    Please, don't pretend that your LBS is ripping you off with their huge margins. Markup is what it is mostly because it's what it has to be to make sure there's a bike shop in the first place. If it wasn't that way, someone else would have opened up next door, undercut them, and stolen their business. The reason someone doesn't is, if they did, they couldn't keep their lights on.


    sigh....
    Last edited by jmountain; 10-25-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    "Let the wheels spin."

  11. #11
    Flying in High in the Sky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    265
    Awesome choice man! Post up some pictures when you get her!!

  12. #12
    dude
    Reputation: joeyjoedotorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Gross margins are not the same thing as profits...

    ...All that was paid for by that $1000 "profit" they "made".
    While I agree with your accounting, I disagree with the idea that it's our jobs as consumers to make sure that a bike shop remains fiscally solvent.

    To the OP buy the Remedy from the shop that gives you the best balance of price and service. The shop that you buy your bike from may be the one that will be performing warranty service for you.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    I just got one

    I love this bike!!!!!!!!!

    Trek Remedy 7 (2013)-bike-backseat.jpgTrek Remedy 7 (2013)-bike.jpg

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273
    My LBS is usually 10-15% cheaper than MSRP. I'd check other LBS around your area even if 40-50 miles away and get thier price. Check online at pinkbike, ebay etc.... Find the cheapest price and ask your LBS how close they can match it. Usually they hate to miss a sale over a few bucks.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    My LBS is usually 10-15% cheaper than MSRP. I'd check other LBS around your area even if 40-50 miles away and get thier price. Check online at pinkbike, ebay etc.... Find the cheapest price and ask your LBS how close they can match it. Usually they hate to miss a sale over a few bucks.
    Very true I shopped around and took lowest price to my lbs and paid cash they made it happen I saved a few hundred off of retail

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    End of last year there was a Remedy 8 for sale for $2000. I like buying the last models to save several HUNDRED dollars, but then again I don't have to have the newest...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mizzaboom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Update: My decision to buy the Remedy 7 was short lived. When I originally posted this thread I had narrowed my selection down mostly on research here and elsewhere. Back in October there were no '13 Remedy 7s in the country yet...so I couldn't test ride it (also had no luck finding any last year's Remedy's to ride in my area). LBS guy said they would be in come spring. Well throughout the winter I decided to do a bit more research and wait until late winter/early spring to make a final decision on anything.

    Alas, I found an awesome deal on an '11 Giant Trance x1 a couple weeks ago... got it for $2600. Less travel than the Remedy but I like the feel of the Trance a lot more plus at that price for the XT kit (brakes, drive train, wheels/hubs) I couldn't pass it up. I might swap the fork out for a 140 at some point but for now I am going to enjoy the hell out of this purchase!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •