mtbr member
    May 2007

... and if we just ... Trek Liquid 25 or KHS AM1000

I'll make this simple... This will be my first ventur into AM biking. Which bike do I get and why? I have found one of each, both 2005 models brand new, comparably equipped and at a blowout price of $1000 for either. Is it a clear cut choice? Or does anyone think I should look for others - would I find anything else as good for such a low price? Any thoughts and advice would help since I need to buy one by this weekend! Thanks!

Is Muddy
    Avoid the Liquid. It hasn't sold for a reason. I've heard rumors of the Liquid 10 and 25 series frames cracking at the pivot link on the seat tube. Anything with a D-W Link, VPP, or FSR style suspension from 2yr+ back shouldn't be too much better than what the offer now. Just replace the damper/shock with a newer and improved version if it doesn't satisfy your riding style. It often turns out that older frames may often have a competent build and well developed suspension design, but the shock's themselves tend to develop seal problems and valving issues with the time spent being idle.
    2007 Waltworks 29er,
    2007 Intense 5.5 EVP,
    2006 Specialized Langster,
    2002 Giant DH Comp,
    1993 KHS Montana Comp SS.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input as I read the same stuff... I decided to up the ante and get the '07 Giant Reign 1 ($2400 out the door well equipped). This is after test riding many bikes, incuding the Specialized Enduro, Scott Ransom, Gary Fisher Cake 1, some Konas, and others.... Anyone think I should get something different (keeping a budget of $2500 out the door)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffefrijoles
    Thanks for the input as I read the same stuff... I decided to up the ante and get the '07 Giant Reign 1 ($2400 out the door well equipped). This is after test riding many bikes, incuding the Specialized Enduro, Scott Ransom, Gary Fisher Cake 1, some Konas, and others.... Anyone think I should get something different (keeping a budget of $2500 out the door)?
    Reign is definitely one of the best values at that price.
    One alternate would be an IH MkIII. Here's a link to an '06 IH MkIII Sport for $1300:
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959
    Last edited by fsrxc; 05-08-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Was that a Bobcat?
    Reign is a very good choice.... have fun.