mtbr member
    May 2012

Trek Fuel EX 9.9...is it possbile....

So I have an a Fuel and I know it's made for XC. But I'd like to change it over for more AM/FR. I was thinking I could get some forks and shocks with more travel, change the wheels sets to allow bigger axles.

I would just sell the bike, and buy one AM/FR specific, but I don't think I'd get anywhere near what I paid for it. Sooo...my question(s) are

1) Possible?
    2) Any suggestions on parts
    3) Anyone want to buy/trade?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    You said "one more" AM bike, so why not keep that as AM and use the Fuel EX as XC?
    Is it possible? Yes, but no. You would ride something with a voided warranty and something that will not be happy. Yous would never be able to put a 150mm shock on it. Why didn't you just buy a Remedy?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry...meant to say "buy an AM/FR". I really don't want the XC bike.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyz450f View Post
    Sorry...meant to say "buy an AM/FR". I really don't want the XC bike.
    Then why didn't you buy a Remedy 9 29. I know it is not carbon fiber, but come on, if you clearly ride AM, then why not buy the closer deal. Remedy is 140mm and could most likely fit a 150 fork. I wouldn't try anything other than wheelsets to beef up the EX.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    how old is it?

how new does it look?

you could sell it, and buy the AM bike you really want, no?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Its a 2013, looks great..only had a few rides on it. Probably 3 local trails, one Downieville run.

My ultimate goal is to buy something more a bit more durable and more towards freeride than racing XC....

mtbr member
    ha, i have a post still on the front page about doing this exact thing.. putting beefy parts on a 110-120mm travel bike to charge on it. I'm doing it because i think it will be fun to bang around my XC trails on and have the parts already, but its bike #2 in a 2 bike quiver

I think a bike like this would NOT make for a good "do it all" bike and I do not plan to use mine for real AM riding.

For the OP, i see a couple of issues: the bike wont handle well if you get too long of a fork. and if you bought a beefier fork that is the correct travel height, you will have to buy a whole new fork when you eventually move up to a true AM frame. I assume you intend to only own one bike, so my rec would be to put up with the shortcomings of fuel ex for now (it is a sweet bike after all).

There are some parts you can get now without wasting $ since you'll want them on your AM bike eventually anyways:

Get wider bars and short stem. Put a DH casing tire up front. Reverb or other dropper post. Only incorporate a chain retention system once you start to drop chain often. I advise against doing anything regarding wheel setup unless you break what you have because the standards are changing so fast, you'll end up needing something else down the road

Ride the crap out of it until you've gotten enough of your $'s worth out of it then sell it and buy a new bike. After a few years into it you may feel like me that something like the fuel ex is the perfect complement to an AM/FR setup if youre able to own 2

after thinking about this a while, i find it funny that people tell noobs to buy a hardtail or short travel bike (not calling you a noob, just going off on a tangent). seems to me to make most sense to go for a 150mm travel bike...right in the middle of everything. soaks up more mistakes and lets you dabble in whatever riding you want so you can get something more specific for the next bike purchase
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 10-16-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added clarity

mtbr member
    then sell it and get what you really want. youll probably spend the same amount of money in the long run. forks and wheels etc, can get $$$ real quick
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably will sell it and move on.