mtbr member

Trek Fuel EX 8(9) 2010 vs. Norco Fluid 2 2009

Can't decide which to take. My trails are flat as board, but with biiiiig roots and always wet. I'm searching speed singletrack demon that can take some man made jumps and drops. My previous 160mm machine was to much for the trails i ride and destroyed to quickly after one season in the dirt. Want to try something new with short travel and more durable.

I don't know how much far i can push the Fuel EX and i'm afraid what Fluid's 140mm can be too much again most of the time. Help me make right decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The trek would be a nicer frame in my opinion, but the Fluid does have adjustable rear travel, so if you are worried about too much that makes it better. I would also say the Fluid would be more durable as far as abuse goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was just looking at an '09 Fluid 2 the other day - seems like a decent Trail/AM bike (nice components like SLX cranks, Elixir brakes, Revelation fork, if you like QR, but the wheels aren't great), and I agree that being able to choose either 114mm or 140mm of rear travel might suit your needs well. I think you can internally reduce the fork's travel too (fine tune the geometry to match your trails).

On the other hand, one of my riding buddies has an EX-8, which he loves, but even though he's 160lbs he trashed the rear wheel in a short time, then bought a set of Easton Havocs, which are lighter and stronger.

Both of these bikes could benefit from better wheels, especially if you want durability to handle some light stunts and drops, but my guess is the Norco might be slightly more durable otherwise.

One other bike that might work well is the Trance X - I think they come with QR15 forks, and the Maestro suspension is great for bombing singletrack.

mtbr member
    Thank you two for replies. One of my previous bicycles was Norco Fluid LT with DHX-A and i find small rear travel position unuseful, because suspension become more progressive and harsh. I think "less travel hole" on Norcos exist for long climbs.

I'm also thinking what new shock on Fuel EX would be better than old Float on Norco. Trek's rear suspension can be linear in theory. Unfortunately, i don't read any reviews about new DRCV shock.

Wheels on both bikes is the first what i would be replacing. Second, may be the fork (want with axle)