mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trek Fuel EX 6.5 or Gaint Trance x3

Basically...which is a better bang for the buck?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think you'll find most people would argue Giant seem to provide a better all round "package" for the given pricepoint, but if the bike's fit and geometry doesn't suit you then it's a waste of money with either choice.

You might need to provide additional information, such as:
    - What bike do you have now?
    - What riding do you plan on doing?
    - How much do you weigh?
    - How would you describe your riding style?
    - What do you want from a new bike?

If you're just comparing those two bikes, I would argue that Trek has a better frame quality and you get a lifetime warranty with it too. Also, the Bontrager components have a 5 year warranty and the wheels have a 2 year warranty - good times!
    The frame is simple and easy to maintain, the pivots are quite oversized so the rear end stays stiff through harder cornering.

I don't mind the Trance, but it doesn't fit me particularly well, and even if I could get one at a smoking deal, it's still a waste of money because the bike doesnt fit me.
    The Giants are not well known for durable bearings, and the variances in frame quality I've seen - particularly around the shock mounting area, are not great.
    I've seen more "stuck-down" shocks on Giants than any other brand - but that could also be because there are a lot of them out there.

mtbr member
    Little Willy, where do you get your info on the poor quality of Giant bikes? I have not seen any of these problems and have sold them for about 15 years. The Treks are great bikes as well as the Giants. I sell both at the shop that I work at and have no problems with either. Please base your decision on reviews by people who own these bikes and not on speculation, try and find a bad review of a Trance X.

mtbr member
    When shopping a few years back I looked hard at the EX9 and X. Though different models than your comparison, they matched up well - as do your options. I found the Giant just didn't fit as well as the Trek. Different geo for different bodies, so YMMV. I like the idea of full float and ABP designs as well.

A riding buddy bought the EX8. I can vouch for Trek customer service. They replaced one rim, rear triangle, and rocker. Awesome service, and they stand by their warranty. I have no reason to assume that Giant would be any better or worse, just saw my buddy have a good experience with Trek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Giant makes a lot of bikes for Trek, so quality is similar. I've never heard of or seen any problems with quality anywhere on a Giant bike that wasn't a warranty issue. Giant also has a lifetime warranty. Know your facts before trying to influence potential customers, Willy. Bike fit is customizable. Taking the time to get the right stem, bar height, seat angle, etc. will go a long ways.
    Last edited by mountainbiker24; 09-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Little Willy, where do you get your info on the poor quality of Giant bikes? I have not seen any of these problems and have sold them for about 15 years. The Treks are great bikes as well as the Giants. I sell both at the shop that I work at and have no problems with either. Please base your decision on reviews by people who own these bikes and not on speculation, try and find a bad review of a Trance X.
    Good luck..There's no bad reviews out there I find most people that buy a trek is because of the "Lance" effect..MTB or Road
    08 Giant Rincon:Bontrager, Azonic, Avid
    09 Giant Trance X3:Worth as much as a used car now
    08 Giant Reign X1 Build:Fox,Avid

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    I think you'll find most people would argue Giant seem to provide a better all round "package" for the given pricepoint, but if the bike's fit and geometry doesn't suit you then it's a waste of money with either choice.

You might need to provide additional information, such as:
    - What bike do you have now?
    - What riding do you plan on doing?
    - How much do you weigh?
    - How would you describe your riding style?
    - What do you want from a new bike?

If you're just comparing those two bikes, I would argue that Trek has a better frame quality and you get a lifetime warranty with it too. Also, the Bontrager components have a 5 year warranty and the wheels have a 2 year warranty - good times!
    The frame is simple and easy to maintain, the pivots are quite oversized so the rear end stays stiff through harder cornering.

I don't mind the Trance, but it doesn't fit me particularly well, and even if I could get one at a smoking deal, it's still a waste of money because the bike doesnt fit me.
    The Giants are not well known for durable bearings, and the variances in frame quality I've seen - particularly around the shock mounting area, are not great.
    I've seen more "stuck-down" shocks on Giants than any other brand - but that could also be because there are a lot of them out there.

-I have a 2008 giant yukon
    -Mostly trail riding but some downhill
    -I weigh about 130
    -Dont know about riding style
    -Good all around trail bike, i do alot of riding around my house, basically a good all around bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Giant Trance

Do you know the "buyers remorse" feeling whenever you buy something pricey?

Never felt that when I bought and ridden my Trance X2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    I apologise because I originally suggested in my first post that all Giant duallies have bad pivots, and this is obviously not the case as there seem to be many happy Giant dually owners out there.
    Just that in my experience at our store, is that we have seen a high percentage of Giant duallies in for pivot servicing - but draw your own conclusions - perhaps Giant riders ride harder than others?

Also, I'm attempting to draw on my own experiences of people and riders I know and ride with, not internet reviews. The original poster is likely to have read those internet reviews so I'm not sure I would be adding anything by listing those comments.

For those interested:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_uploa...al-revised.pdf

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/suppo...ited_warranty/

I understand that Giant manufacture many frames for other companies, as do Merida. But there are so many variables that come into play when a design is given to the contractor, such as tubing quality, tolerances, quality control, geometry etc, that can all play a vital role in the overall finish of the final product.
    I wouldn't say that just because 15 brands come out of one factory that they would all be the same quality - would you agree?

To mountainbiker24: sure you can alter the fit of a bike with different stem/bar/seatpost combinations, but you still have the same frame right? I would argue that bike fit is definitely not customisable, as no matter how much you can lengthen or shorten a stem, the bike's top tube length is the same, and you may alter the handling too much just to get the right reach.

To mountainbikeluvr: have you had a chance to demo either bike?

I didn't mean for this to become Trek vs Giant, I was just drawing on my own experiences. As i said before, there will be some people that love the fit of the Giant and others who prefer the fit of the Trek

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    I apologise because I originally suggested in my first post that all Giant duallies have bad pivots, and this is obviously not the case as there seem to be many happy Giant dually owners out there.
    Just that in my experience at our store, is that we have seen a high percentage of Giant duallies in for pivot servicing - but draw your own conclusions - perhaps Giant riders ride harder than others?

Also, I'm attempting to draw on my own experiences of people and riders I know and ride with, not internet reviews. The original poster is likely to have read those internet reviews so I'm not sure I would be adding anything by listing those comments.

For those interested:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_uploa...al-revised.pdf

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/suppo...ited_warranty/

I understand that Giant manufacture many frames for other companies, as do Merida. But there are so many variables that come into play when a design is given to the contractor, such as tubing quality, tolerances, quality control, geometry etc, that can all play a vital role in the overall finish of the final product.
    I wouldn't say that just because 15 brands come out of one factory that they would all be the same quality - would you agree?

To mountainbiker24: sure you can alter the fit of a bike with different stem/bar/seatpost combinations, but you still have the same frame right? I would argue that bike fit is definitely not customisable, as no matter how much you can lengthen or shorten a stem, the bike's top tube length is the same, and you may alter the handling too much just to get the right reach.

To mountainbikeluvr: have you had a chance to demo either bike?

I didn't mean for this to become Trek vs Giant, I was just drawing on my own experiences. As i said before, there will be some people that love the fit of the Giant and others who prefer the fit of the Trek

I have not had a chance to demo either bike. My LBS for the trek does not do demos only little rides around the store. Im not sure about the giant but i will find out

mtbr member
    If it's not the brand new 2010 Fuel EX 6.5, then it's the old seatstay pivot version that sucks chunks. Get the Trance X.

Members who have read this thread: 0