Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,505

    Trek Fuel 9.7 vs SC Tallboy?

    Looking to purchase a new bike and considering going with 27.5 wheels with a wide tire. I believe both of these bikes are about the same price and the two bikes are similiar? I definitely want to dem tbe Fuel but still should consider an equal contender.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: @Ride@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    606
    SC don't have room for a bottle in the triangle.

    That's a no go.

    Also, the colors on almost every sc are a little too flamboyant for me. I think one of them is a dark grey with black letters though.

  3. #3
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,635
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Looking to purchase a new bike and considering going with 27.5 wheels with a wide tire. I believe both of these bikes are about the same price and the two bikes are similiar? I definitely want to dem tbe Fuel but still should consider an equal contender.
    One is 140/130mm, the other is 130/110mm. Not that similar.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  4. #4
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,829
    Huh? Every Santa Cruz Iíve ever seen, including the TB, has room for a bottle.

    Please hav3 an idea what youíre talking about before posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    SC don't have room for a bottle in the triangle.

    That's a no go.

    Also, the colors on almost every sc are a little too flamboyant for me. I think one of them is a dark grey with black letters though.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  5. #5
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,829
    OP: Go ride some bikes. Youíve posted a bunch of threads about the same topic. No one other than you can decide if you like 27.5+ tires.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  6. #6
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    OP: Go ride some bikes. Youíve posted a bunch of threads about the same topic. No one other than you can decide if you like 27.5+ tires.
    End of thread.

    None of us can tell you what wheels you'll like, on what bike.



    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: @Ride@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Huh? Every Santa Cruz Iíve ever seen, including the TB, has room for a bottle.

    Please hav3 an idea what youíre talking about before posting.
    Meh, while technically this may be true, I don't accept a bottle wedged at the bottom of the triangle where it can't be easily accessed while riding as being a real bottle holder.

  8. #8
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,635
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    Meh, while technically this may be true, I don't accept a bottle wedged at the bottom of the triangle where it can't be easily accessed while riding as being a real bottle holder.
    That describes most bottle cage locations, and almost all of them are fully functional for most people.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  9. #9
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    Meh, while technically this may be true, I don't accept a bottle wedged at the bottom of the triangle where it can't be easily accessed while riding as being a real bottle holder.
    Just when I thought Iíd seen the very edges of rational thought. Anyhoo, carry on.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,528
    Try a CamelBak.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    OP: Go ride some bikes. Youíve posted a bunch of threads about the same topic. No one other than you can decide if you like 27.5+ tires.
    Understood, my thinking is to buy a new 27.5 with wide tires and to keep my 29 er so I have the best of both. Resale on a 2013 would not be worth much so better to keep that bike.

    So my thinking was to ride another bike/brand to compare it to the Trek Fuel.

Similar Threads

  1. Trek Fuel EX7 or Trek Fuel EX8???
    By Jake.Briscoe in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2017, 01:43 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 10:46 AM
  3. Trek Fuel Ex 8 vs. Fuji reveal 2.0 vs. Trek Fuel Ex 6
    By WilliamM10 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 06:19 AM
  4. 2011 Trek Fuel EX5 or 2008 Trek Fuel EX9
    By tavorh1 in forum Trek
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
  5. 2010 Trek Top Fuel 8 vs 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    By David S - Sydney in forum Trek
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.