mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Trek carbon a risky buy

I had originally purchased a 2011 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 and a couple of months ago I broke the frame. The top tube near center and the seat post tube. They promptly replaced it with a 2012 Fuel 9.9 and within two weeks it broke, on the same trail and in the same two places. I am unsure exactly where on the trail the first frame broke, but I know exactly where on the trail the second frame broke; It has a pretty distinctive sound that I am now familiar with. It was a little dip in the trail; nothing even remotely aggressive by any stretch of the imagination. As I road down I remained in the seat and at the bottom of the dip, where Trek says that I G'd it out, it cracked. They say it was my fault and will not replace it. The individual I spoke with stated it appeared suspicious that both frames cracked in the same two places. I agreed and said that it was a design flaw and that their bikes don't appear to be able to tolerate a 230 lb rider, let alone the 300 lb limit they claim. They of course disagreed, and why wouldn't they? If it holds true then they have a lot of explaining to do with potential recalls. I have since purchased a Santa Cruz Solo C (aka 5010) also a carbon fiber frame. I have had it a month and have ridden it now over 130 miles on the same trails without any problems. Obviously Trek does not make the best bike.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I don't doubt that, but so far my Santa Cruz is holding up to what my Fuel wouldn't tolerate. I guess the true test will be customer service if I ever have the misfortune of my Santa Cruz breaking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Trek makes great bikes, but they've had more than their fair share of carbon frame failures. I did my research and stayed far away. I was hoping they'd be better for this year... Maybe next.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been on Trek carbon frames since 2007 and haven't
    had any problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenmillerrn View Post
    I don't doubt that, but so far my Santa Cruz is holding up to what my Fuel wouldn't tolerate. I guess the true test will be customer service if I ever have the misfortune of my Santa Cruz breaking.
    i hear you. good luck! now put up some pics of that Solo!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenmillerrn View Post
    I had originally purchased a 2011 Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 and a couple of months ago I broke the frame. The top tube near center and the seat post tube. They promptly replaced it with a 2012 Fuel 9.9 and within two weeks it broke, on the same trail and in the same two places. I am unsure exactly where on the trail the first frame broke, but I know exactly where on the trail the second frame broke; It has a pretty distinctive sound that I am now familiar with. It was a little dip in the trail; nothing even remotely aggressive by any stretch of the imagination. As I road down I remained in the seat and at the bottom of the dip, where Trek says that I G'd it out, it cracked. They say it was my fault and will not replace it. The individual I spoke with stated it appeared suspicious that both frames cracked in the same two places. I agreed and said that it was a design flaw and that their bikes don't appear to be able to tolerate a 230 lb rider, let alone the 300 lb limit they claim. They of course disagreed, and why wouldn't they? If it holds true then they have a lot of explaining to do with potential recalls. I have since purchased a Santa Cruz Solo C (aka 5010) also a carbon fiber frame. I have had it a month and have ridden it now over 130 miles on the same trails without any problems. Obviously Trek does not make the best bike.
    Post some pictures of the broken Trek. SC's carbon is great, I have a Nomad C that I have thrashed for two full seasons.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    There haven't been any recorded disbanding issues with the 5010 or Bronson frames and this issue is apparently fixed. Its a bit different than the frame cracking at the top tube twice. All manufacturers experience frame failures.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.