6 85.71%
  • Bike #2

1 14.29%
  • Bike #3

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Trek 6000, Trek 4500, Specialized Rockhopper Components & Price

Which of these 3 bikes have the best components? They are all within my price range and I have narrowed several mountain bikes at my LBS down to these as they fit pretty well.

How good are the forks on each?? I've used the shifters on bike #3 for years and like them quite a bit. Are they very different from the shifters on these other bikes??

BIKE #1 price: $719

Frame:

WSD Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, twin taper down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, wishbone seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack and fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger

Front Suspension

RockShox Dart 3 w/coil spring, rebound, TurnKey lockout, alloy steerer, WSD Rider Right spring weight, 100mm

Wheels

Shimano M475-L hubs; Bontrager Ranger rims
    Tires Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.25" front, 26x2.20" rear

Drivetrain

Shifters SRAM X.5 trigger
    Front Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Crank Shimano M442 44/32/22
    Cassette SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
    Pedals Wellgo alloy platform

Components

Saddle Bontrager SSR WSD
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Approved Riser, 25mm rise
    Stem Bontrager SSR, 10 degree
    Headset VP-A42E, 1-1/8" semi-integrated, sealed
    Brakeset Avid BB-5, mechanical disc w/Pro Max levers

BIKE #2 Price: $679

FRAME Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, externally relieved HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only

FORK SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP, mag. lower, 30mm steel stanchions, hyd. damping w/ lock out and custom tuned spike valve

HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp

HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up

GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm

FRONT BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Alloy, linear pull

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp

REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.5 8sp Mid cage

SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X.4 trigger

CASSETTE SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t

CHAIN KMC X8 w/ reusable Missing Link

CRANKSET SR SunTour, Octalink spline

CHAINRINGS 42S x 32S x 22S replaceable

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm

PEDALS Plastic platform, toe-clip compatible, reflectors, 9/16"

RIMS Alex RHD 26", alloy double wall, pinned w/eyelets

FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, QR, 28h

REAR HUB Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 32h

SPOKES 2mm (14g) stainless

FRONT TIRE Specialized The Captain Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead

REAR TIRE Specialized The Captain Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead

INNER TUBES Presta valve

SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers

SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm

SEAT BINDER Alloy QR, nylon washer

BIKE #3 Price: $591

Frame

Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack and fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger

Front Suspension

Suntour SF10-XCM-PM-HLO w/coil spring, preload, lockout, 100mm

Wheels

Wheels Shimano M475-L hubs; Bontrager Ranger rims
    Tires Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.25" front, 26x2.20" rear

Drivetrain

Shifters Shimano M410, 8 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano M310
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Crank Shimano M361 42/32/22
    Cassette SRAM PG830 11-32, 8 speed
    Pedals Wellgo alloy platform

Components

Saddle Bontrager Race Lux
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager SSR, 25mm rise, 6 degree bend
    Stem Bontrager SSR, 10 degree
    Headset VP-A42E, 1-1/8" semi-integrated, sealed
    Brakeset Avid BB-5, mechanical disc w/Pro Max levers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi, are you looking at the 2012 model specs and is this in US? I have a 2011 Trek 4500 d and the specs look different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought a Rockhopper Pro SL 29 this year and have been very impressed with the bike. Very upgradeable frame. It has a bit higher spec, so swapped the shifters for X-7 aluminum and zowie - fun HT to mess around with. The Rockhopper was my choice for a first 29, but the frame is pretty functional (I mounted a child seat for my baby daughter - Rockhopper has the braze ons for it in back).

Good frame, M4 aluminum very nice. Which bike FITS best when you're on it? Forget spec and go with geometry first. I could just never get comfortable on a Trek. My other bike was a Rocky Mtn ETS-X50, but just built up an Intense Tracer. My Rockhopper can feel pretty stretched out, so flipped the stem upward to be a bit more upright. Fun Bike...

Trek 6000 has best components, but I like the Specialized Frame and fork. If you like the Rockhopper, talk the the LBS guy about some upgrades to it - Fork (RockShox Recon is excellent) shifters, derailleur, even hydraulic brakes maybe for same price as the Trek or a couple bucks extra. depends on what parts he has around...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I picked up a 2011 Rockhopper a few months ago. I've been riding it XC/All Mountain and around town. Great bike that can handle a variety of different types of rides. I can't compare with the Treks since I've never ridden them but I can attest to the RH being a good solid bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    HrznRider: Thanks for the input. I went w/the Trek 6000 as it fit better and component wise I think it made sense for me. I've only been able to ride in the city so far...it keeps raining right before I planned rides on the weekends Dying to get out there and really test her out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
    Hi, are you looking at the 2012 model specs and is this in US? I have a 2011 Trek 4500 d and the specs look different.
    Actually I was looking and ended up buying the 2010 Trek WSD in US. I had a 4500 some years back and liked it but frame was too big for me. Stand over height is always an issue with me for mountain bikes as I'm short.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by csrjr View Post
    I bought a Rockhopper Pro SL 29 this year and have been very impressed with the bike. Very upgradeable frame. It has a bit higher spec, so swapped the shifters for X-7 aluminum and zowie - fun HT to mess around with. The Rockhopper was my choice for a first 29, but the frame is pretty functional (I mounted a child seat for my baby daughter - Rockhopper has the braze ons for it in back).

Good frame, M4 aluminum very nice. Which bike FITS best when you're on it? Forget spec and go with geometry first. I could just never get comfortable on a Trek. My other bike was a Rocky Mtn ETS-X50, but just built up an Intense Tracer. My Rockhopper can feel pretty stretched out, so flipped the stem upward to be a bit more upright. Fun Bike...

Trek 6000 has best components, but I like the Specialized Frame and fork. If you like the Rockhopper, talk the the LBS guy about some upgrades to it - Fork (RockShox Recon is excellent) shifters, derailleur, even hydraulic brakes maybe for same price as the Trek or a couple bucks extra. depends on what parts he has around...
    Yeah, after I rode the RH around I found the geometry didn't quite fit me. I'll wear out this fork a bit and then upgrade. Thanks for all of the guidance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Ryder View Post
    Yeah, after I rode the RH around I found the geometry didn't quite fit me. I'll wear out this fork a bit and then upgrade. Thanks for all of the guidance!
    That's the best decision - the bike has to fit. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    its a MTB, not a piece of paper. go ride in the rain!

ps, the 6000 is the best of the 3
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I have a 08 6000, it served me well but haven't been back on it since I bought my Mojo. The 6000 was definitely worth the money. I beat the hell out of it and it just took it all. Congrats on the new bike, get out there!