mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Transmission for 2010/11 rocky mountain vertex 70 RSL

I have a used rocky mountain vertex 70 that I use for casual weekend runs.

Since I know nothing about bikes, I would like to purchase the complete set of components that this bike uses and take it to a shop to install.

I would like to change the complete transmission ( shifters, derailleur, cassette, and everything related to that)

Where can I find a complete set for this bike? Maybe on ebay?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The chain, derailleurs, and cassette are generally referred to as the drivetrain, just so when you're looking you'll be using the accepted terminology. Shifters and cables are, well, shifters and cables. Looks like that bike was running XT/XTR level componentry, the more recent versions of which will still fit that bike, and are available at most shops or for sure on line. It sounds like you just want a usable bike, and aren't aiming for a 100% historically accurate renovation. The good news is more modern bikes have gravitated away from 8 and 9 speed cassettes, so the older compatible stuff can often be found at pretty reasonable prices.

Here's a link to the Rocky Mountain catalog from 2011, if you're interested: http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/f...e_2011_eng.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    The chain, derailleurs, and cassette are generally referred to as the drivetrain, just so when you're looking you'll be using the accepted terminology. Shifters and cables are, well, shifters and cables. Looks like that bike was running XT/XTR level componentry, the more recent versions of which will still fit that bike, and are available at most shops or for sure on line. It sounds like you just want a usable bike, and aren't aiming for a 100% historically accurate renovation. The good news is more modern bikes have gravitated away from 8 and 9 speed cassettes, so the older compatible stuff can often be found at pretty reasonable prices.

Here's a link to the Rocky Mountain catalog from 2011, if you're interested: http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/f...e_2011_eng.pdf
    Yes. Also, you may want to "downgrade" to less expensive components. They have improved in the last 7 years and you might be able to go one by ten for a reasonable price, if that interests you. With some basic tools, you could do the work yourself....might be a good opportunity to educate yourself. YouTube has lots of info, and if you live near an REI, their shop folks are usually happy to dispense free advice. Just like us!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for your replies. Im just looking for a bike that rides. I'm not looking for the best and greatest, but something thats generally good.

Since I have no experience with this and Ive read that I shouldnt mix components, I prefer just going somewhere and buying the whole package.

Thanks.