mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Transition Transam, ON ONE carbon 456, keep or sell?

I usually hate these kind of questions, but here we go.
    I love bikes and have too many, but I still need to build a hardtail for the winter and/or bad weather rides. The Transition Transam and ON One 456 are both new and I already have parts to build either. One or both have to go. To add to the mix I have been thinking of a 29er hardtail. The dilemma is I sell lots of bikes and would get more money selling these frames new instead of building one up and deciding later I should have gone to a 29er.
    I know this is all about opinions, but I would appreciate any views.
    My full suspension bike is a Transition Covert.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Could flip a coin with those two choices. Carbon would be more weather resistant? And lighter if that matters to you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey dumbaSS,
    Thanks for the reply. Weather resistance does matter living in England. But still not sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ill buy one

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I live in Knutsford, UK and one or both of the frames will be going on Ebay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    its hard to say which you should keep, as they are both aimed at a similar riding style. do you like one more than the other as far as looks? and the point about durability is a good point too.

how would you be setting up the bike if you were to keep one? intended purpose? I would think that neither of them would really be ideal for commuting.

anywho, if you make a decision, be sure to post up the ebay links if youd be willing to ship to the states

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The setup for both bikes would be the same. Fox float 150, Mavic 819's, Maxxis Highroller 2.35, Shimano XT brakes, 70 Thomson stem, Easton Haven carbon bars and a mix of Shimano drive train. Point One Podium pedals.
    Not for commuting, but rough trails when I am too lazy to take the Covert out or if the ground is really wet. I don't do hugh drops just occasional jumps and lots of rock gardens.
    What I want is a light Transam, the 456 is almost half the weight. I know it is a great problem to have in the great scheme of things. The reason I have both is I pre ordered the 456 and wanted months for it to arrive and while I was waiting I found a good deal on the Transam with a 30mm Thomson seatpost. The Transam is a 19.5 and the 456 is 18", but side by side they are very close in size.
    I will not ship to America, but I visit my family twice a year in Florida and was thinking I might sell the 456 there when I next visit.
    I also feel like the 29er thing is closing in fast and soon the price I could get selling the frames is going down. There will always be 26ers, but as more and more races are won on 29ers things are gonna change. Right now I just have a visual problem with the 29er, but I test road a Trek full suspension and Specialized hardtail 29er and they felt alright.

mtbr member
    I'd have the TransAM. I had a plastic 456 and never really got on with it TBH- plus and it might be just me, but one good rock strike and it could be history.
    If you are riding lots of rock gardens, it sounds like you ride the Dark Peak? If so I'd go for toughness every time.
    I had a Cotic BFe that was nicked, built a Piglet which then snapped and have built another BFe as my winter bike, bet it aint much lighter than my Covert!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2 years ago I started my search for a big fork hardtail and fell for a Dialled Alpine, loved the bike, but at 6'1" the biggest frame they make was 17" (which was more like 15" ctc). I almost had the 410mm seatpost maxed out. The Transam is very similar in design and I have ridden a 18", but once again too much seatpost sticking out. So that is why I bought the large TA.
    The last major rock garden was done on the Alpine at Ladybower, about 23 miles, Wish I had been on the Covert.
    Thanks for the insight. The TA would probably last forever and would be a great standby bike.
    Next week my wife and I are going up to Scotland for a week and trying out Wolftrax. We love the 7stanes. Covert and Nomad will be making the journey.

mtbr member
    Ah, you're probably refering to 'the Beast' at Ladybower. I actually ;like the challenge of a HT down there albeit not always successfully! Suicide Brake is great fun on a HT (Gores Heights on a OS map) and I'm half wondering if I did the right thing buying the Covert frame TBH as I enjoy the HT so much. I'll ride the Covert more next year so can make a better judgement then...
    I'm a shade under 6ft but its all in the length of my torso (eevn if it is also very rotund!) so with a 31" inseam I like to ride medium sized bikes... The Bfe (Ian...work it out! ) is a 17.5" frame and the Covert a medium...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, the Beast was fun, but my brother in law was on a fully and left me in the dust (mud)!
    My triceps felt twice as big at the bottom. Sorry to back track a bit, I met Cy of Cotic at Bets y Coed during the demo to try out a Soul and the Bfe. Great guy, but the Bfe was too small, loved the Soul, but seemed expensive at the time. Probably one of the best light steel frames out there.
    As you seem to be into Transition bikes, what do you think of the Bandit 29 and soon to be Transam 29?

mtbr member
    Cant really comment on 'em TBH- Having had a ride on neither!
    But they do look very nice! I was half way to buying a 26" Bandit, but the Covert took all the gear off my old Reign, and so was a cheaper option in the end. Very happy with it tho', just not ridden it enough!!
    Got a week in the Lakes coming up, and we're all doing it on HT's, some of the bigger descents are gonna be fun!