mtbr member
    Jun 2008

transition revolution 25 or 28?

I am going to need some new wheels soon, and I am looking at transitions. (I know two guys that run azonics, but I hear they are alittle heavy?)
    Anyways, I am caught between the 28s or the 25s. the 28s are 2277 grams and the 25s are 2070. my current set is 2600, so either way its going to be better.

Do any of you have experience with either of these sets or revolutions in general? I also hear the hubs are compatible with azonic hub parts. Any truth in that?

thanks,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    not the same as azonics, I have the 25's and think they are a bit narrow, they are plenty strong but give a tire a rounder profile than I would prefer. certain tires don't work as well on these rims, I run maxxis 2.35 minions which are ok, but high rollers side knobs were tough to use, IE; had to lean the bike way over.

the only other thing I don't like is the spokes, i tend to have some fail after a year(I also have the revolution 32s on another bike). usually one at a time.

I would buy them again if I couldn't afford something better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So do you feel the 28 would be a better choice for tire profile? I also use minions on the front and high rollers on the rear.

How is the rear hub engagement?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    another question- how are the outlaws measured? I see some sites measure the outside of the rim and say 28mm, but then the inside is 20mm. Obviously the 20mm measurement is the only one that counts since thats what dictates the tires contact patch. How wide are outlaws?

mtbr member
    I got the Rev 25's and taco-ed them in 16days. I wished they had the 28's back then. I was leery about the 25mm rim for AM duty riden by a clyde, and didn't want another 2500g wheelset. I agree with wolfman00 the 28 would be better, but even still, there are better options then Rev's for a little more money or on closeout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    well, my standby option is a set of outlaws. I know what to expect from them and I have seen what people put them through, and they are fairly light. i am curious about the transitions though, right now i am leaning towards the 28. They are a tad lighter than the outlaws (not enough to make it worth mentioning though) They are cheaper in the end. I am just curious to see how good they are, if they are worth the purchase.

mtbr member
    If it's all about curiousity of Transition wheels, I don't know what to tell you, but if it's about getting a good wheelset here are some other options, and if white works for you the A.D.D wheelset has good hubs in the Jumping flea line and are 2141g.
    All under $300.
    http://wheelworld.com/product/mavic-...et-32058-1.htm
    http://wheelworld.com/product/mavic-...et-53315-1.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/210...elset-2010.htm
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=26309

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    well, after some research, I will be going with the 28s. They fit the bill perfectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i have a brand new set for sale if you are still looking for some

T.W.O
    I got the 25's just because I don't intend on doing anything extremely crazy. I get up to the ski resort for some downhill and they hold up just fine. Although I did get mine from a pro deal, so it doesn't really matter if they last or not.

I run a 2.35 Rampage and it fit fine. Transition is a nice company when I have dealt with them and I love their products. I also looked at the Outlaws, I will give those a try whenever I order a new bike.

Good luck with your Transition wheelset!