mtbr member

Transition Patrol vs. GG Megatrail

Finally broke my 2008 Heckler (6" coil suspension). I'm a big guy (6'4" 225) and I prefer more down than up, but need to be able to pedal it also.

I've ridden both versions of the Megatrail, but never the Patrol (or any Transition for that matter). Future support/warranty-wise, I have more faith in Transition.

I'll stop tainting the conversation, what are your thoughts? Should I add the Pivot Mach 5.5 into the mix (not overly excited about carbon, I've ridden several)

Thanks!
    Cracked 2008 Heckler

Big Test Icycles
    I'd wait and ride the new Patrol with its new geometry. If you are rushed to buy one I'd bet you can get a 17' Patrol at a pretty good price. I've owned a Bottlerocket and and a Firebird, placed plenty of calls to Transition and Pivot, both are easy to work with and take time with you. GG are fairly new to the game but seem very positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    I'd wait and ride the new Patrol with its new geometry.
    Any word when those are available? I've read so much about them, I thought they already were...
    Cracked 2008 Heckler

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would add the Canfield Balance onto your short list, particularly if you like very short chainstays (420mm), and the CBF linkage works extremely well. I'm slightly biased, I own one.

Between the Patrol, Megatrail, and Balance, you're really splitting hairs. The geometry is so similar (for good reason), they all pedal well, and they all have nice mildly-progressive leverage curves that will work well with a coil or air shock. It probably comes down to things like your rear spacing preference, stock shock options, build kits if you aren't doing frame-only, and whether you care about a water bottle.

I think the M5.5 is worth considering, but you'd want to decide which sort of bike fits your needs better: a 160-165mm bike with a 65deg HTA that can accept a coil shock, or a 140mm rear travel with a 66.5deg HTA that is air-only. Depends on your needs. Not that either is wrong, just I wouldn't put the M5.5 in the same category as the others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The balance is a good bike too, but is a bigger baby.

GG Customer Service is good, and the guys are easy to work with. Helpful, and very knowledgeable. I haven't dealt with Transition but have heard only good things (about their bikes, no clue about their CS)

I've been riding a GG for about 3 years now.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.