Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

TransAm Geometry Gripes?

Backstory, I'm having a custom hardtail made somewhat in the image of an XXL TransAm, long slack AM geometry. I'm 6'9" and have been riding a cramped Chameleon for a few years so now I'm having a friend build me a nice dream steel hardtail.

Do any TransAm owners feel that their bike is too steeply angled? Most guys are running Lyriks/Fox36s and so will I, but even still, the bike is 2 degrees steeper than a comparable Ragley/On One/Sovereign.

All bikes guesstimated around an unsagged 160mm forks most with geo based around 140mm fork.
    TransAM: 67.5 HA, 71.5 SA
    Ragley Bagger: 64.9 HA, 72.5 SA (based around 20" model)
    Evil Sovereign: 67 HA, 70 SA
    Santa Cruz Chameleon: 67 HA, 71 SA
    All have chainstays within 5mm of each other

Ever feel like your TransAm is not slack enough?

mtbr member
    Everything is steeper than a Ragley :-)

Look to have your designer see what the bike's geometry is WITH YOU SAT ON THE BIKE. Typical ride-height head angles for full suspension bikes are 66-68degs. With a suspension fork compressing 1-2degs under load, do you want to start at any less than 66degs to get a good head angle for a fun ride?

mtbr member
    I'm no 29er advocate but you definitely shoul be looking at a 29er hardball at your height. Along the lines of a yelly screamy or a banshee paradox geometry wise

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I think TransAm with 150mm fork is just fine. Would not change a thing on mine as far as geometry goes.

mtbr member
    Sure, compared to my Reign X, but I wouldn't expect them to be the same bike. If you're looking for a primarily downhill hardtail, the TransAM isn't the right bike. If you're looking for a great AM bike (that's best at 130mm but can run a 160), the TransAM is a good choice.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post

Look to have your designer see what the bike's geometry is WITH YOU SAT ON THE BIKE. Typical ride-height head angles for full suspension bikes are 66-68degs. With a suspension fork compressing 1-2degs under load, do you want to start at any less than 66degs to get a good head angle for a fun ride?
    Ah.. Speaking of the man who knows everything about angles.

Could I ask if the talk on da interwebz that El Guapo is not as steep as it says are true? Sorry for thread hijack.. I am itching to get one of those frames..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post

I figured you'd come into this thread What full suspension frames are you comparing to? The most AM bike I've ever spent time on was a carbon SC Nomad and loved the handling of it despite not getting full leg extension.

I definitely want this bike to be slack, just not sure I want it as slack as your old Ragley bikes. I've got a 29er frame in the garage to build up as a lightweight rigid XC bike, but this bike is going to be built tough and ridden hard.

I'm not looking for a downhill hardtail, just something that will be a lot of fun for Southeast/East Coast riding. North Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas mainly with occasional trips up to Vermont to visit family.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Evil Sov is 68 HA & 71 SA. Any slacker & it'd wouldn't be much fun for me on my local trails which are just XC on hills. I'm using a 140mm fork & it's perfect for what I need.

I looked at On-One 456 Inbred & the TransAM when I was trying to decide. Ended up saving more $ than I thought I could so went with the Sov which looks the best, I think. No regrets, super fun bike.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Backstory, I'm having a custom hardtail made somewhat in the image of an XXL TransAm, long slack AM geometry. I'm 6'9" and have been riding a cramped Chameleon for a few years so now I'm having a friend build me a nice dream steel hardtail.

Do any TransAm owners feel that their bike is too steeply angled? Most guys are running Lyriks/Fox36s and so will I, but even still, the bike is 2 degrees steeper than a comparable Ragley/On One/Sovereign.

All bikes guesstimated around an unsagged 160mm forks most with geo based around 140mm fork.
    TransAM: 67.5 HA, 71.5 SA
    Ragley Bagger: 64.9 HA, 72.5 SA (based around 20" model)
    Evil Sovereign: 67 HA, 70 SA
    Santa Cruz Chameleon: 67 HA, 71 SA
    All have chainstays within 5mm of each other

I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree by looking at what else is out there for geometry.

What was your fork/head angle setup on the Chameleon? Too steep? Too slack? Go based on the bike you've been riding, and what you want it to do differently, not what everyone else is riding. And what sort of riding you do with the bike.

My TransAM feels perfect with a Revelation 150mm. Ran it with a Lyrik for a while, but I live and ride somewhere with lots of short and steep ups and down. Having it slacker with the bigger fork wasn't needed around here.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

With a 160mm 36 Float, I find it to be just about perfect for my needs. I wouldn't change a thing on my TransAM.

And btw, I had a On-One 456 Summer Season with a 140mm Pike and I found that bike way too slack for anything other than DH shredding.

mtbr member
    If you want to change the angle you could try the new cane creek angleset headset. This would allow you to play around with your angles a little and tune the bike perfectly for you.
    Check it out Cane Creek Cycling Components :: AngleSet Threadless Headset

Quote Originally Posted by ToneyRiver View Post
    If you want to change the angle you could try the new cane creek angleset headset. This would allow you to play around with your angles a little and tune the bike perfectly for you.
    Check it out Cane Creek Cycling Components :: AngleSet Threadless Headset
    Not at all useable on the TransAM. You need a tapered or a 1.5 headtube to make that work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    I'm no 29er advocate but you definitely shoul be looking at a 29er hardball at your height. Along the lines of a yelly screamy or a banshee paradox geometry wise
    Absolutely, If i was that tall i would have a 29er. Once you max out an extra large frame the 26 wheels look out of place.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Not at all useable on the TransAM. You need a tapered or a 1.5 headtube to make that work.
    Or 44mm. (1.5 traditional is 49). TransAm is integrated - as became standard on BMX. Perfect for a steel frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Or 44mm. (1.5 traditional is 49). TransAm is integrated - as became standard on BMX. Perfect for a steel frame.
    Nope on the straight 44mm. Unless they are working on it. Seeing as how more and more frames are doing that vs. tapered, I'd bet they are.

• ZS49-ZS49/30 fits: 49mm ID headtubes (1.5 traditional)
    • ZS44-ZS49/30 fits: Tapered headtubes- 44mm ID top (1 1/8" ZeroStack), 49mm ID bottom (1.5 traditional)
    • ZS44-ZS56/30 fits: Tapered headtubes - 44mm (1-1/8" ZeroStack) ID top, 56mm ID bottom (1.5mm ZeroStack)
    • ZS49 - TR49/40 fits: 49mm (1.5" Traditional) ID head-tubes - 1.5" to 1-1/8" Tapered Steerer)

I like the headset setup on the TransAM, but it is a bit limiting if you want to do any tweaking of front end height or angles with the headset rather than fork height. I'd bet future generation(s) will be something else.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Nope on the straight 44mm.
    I thought they had 44 bottom... Maybe not yet. This page must be wrong.

I'd bet future generation(s) will be something else.
    I hope not. Cheap, bulletproof integrated headset. I am not sure there is any need for tweaking there. Picking up fork a2c is good enough for me.

mtbr member

I hope not. Cheap, bulletproof integrated headset. I am not sure there is any need for tweaking there. Picking up fork a2c is good enough for me.
    The description of that angleset is this:
    ZS49/28.6|ZS49/30 fits 49mm (1.5") straight head tube and 1-1/8" straight steerer-tube (1.5" to 1-1/8" conversion)

So yeah, the title on the page is wrong.

mtbr member

Works components makes a 44mm angle headset

1 0 Degree EC44 - EC44 - Angle Headset

Ah, I think I'm wrong. Looks like CC now do have a 44mm version, even on their site. Didn't see it last time I looked. Cool. I don't need it, but it's nice as an option for future frames.

Besides, there are quite a few cheap, bullet-proof, and non-adjustable 44mm headsets out there.

Yeah, but it isn't about your or my needs - its about what the market wants. Adjustments. Able to take a wider range of dropper posts. Ability to tweak. Tapered is rapidly growing - will likely end up the new "standard" and you need at least a 44mm for that. Angleset if you want, or not. Tapered steer tube, or not.

IMO, bumping up the seat tube ID and giving it at least a 44mm head tube is needed for future runs if they want it to compete well with other frames out there.

mtbr member
    IMO, bumping up the seat tube size and giving it at least a 44mm head tube is needed for future runs if they want it to compete well with other frames out there.
    Agreed. Those two small changes would make the TA even better! Fingers-crossed they make it to the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Agreed. Those two small changes would make the TA even better! Fingers-crossed they make it to the next version.
    I have a custom on the way - basically a clone of my TransAM. near identical fit and geometry, but no ISCG tabs, standard hooded dropouts, 44mm head tube for future versatility. Bottle cage mounts - I do some short rides from the house, and it's nice to not have to always have the pack. Didn't bump the seat post size, as I personally am fine with it the way it is.

Adding what I want, getting rid of what I didn't. Builder assures me it'll be just as durable, and about a pound less weight. It's also getting a Pepto Bismol colored pink powder coat.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yeah, but it isn't about your or my needs - its about what the market wants. Adjustments. Able to take a wider range of dropper posts. Ability to tweak. Tapered is rapidly growing - will likely end up the new "standard" and you need at least a 44mm for that. Angleset if you want, or not. Tapered steer tube, or not.

IMO, bumping up the seat tube ID and giving it at least a 44mm head tube is needed for future runs if they want it to compete well with other frames out there.
    Well, Transition is clearly aware of that, as most frames got updated with 31.6mm posts - that had 30.0 before. And 44/49 (not sure why not 56 bottom) HT. 44 straight is probably my vote for HT on TransAM, if they change that, but I kinda like Campy.

To be honest, headset type is usually the very least of my worries on a bike.

Well, Transition is clearly aware of that, as most frames got updated with 31.6mm posts - that had 30.0 before. And 44/49 (not sure why not 56 bottom) HT. 44 straight is probably my vote for HT on TransAM, if they change that, but I kinda like Campy.

To be honest, headset type is usually the very least of my worries on a bike.
    Heh. Agreed.

I just dig on the larger head tubes for possible tweaking. Hell, I'm looking at a cheap to pick up KHS frame NOS from two years ago. It's got a 44mm set up but a steeper HA than I prefer. The larger HT means you have some room to play with setup to get the angles you want, rather than just slapping a taller fork on and also messing up your BB height and seat angle.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I just dig on the larger head tubes for possible tweaking.
    Admitting a compulsive habit is the first step to recovery.

(Yeah, yeah, I also obsess over a 3mm over 5mm spacer under stem...)

Admitting a compulsive habit is the first step to recovery.

(Yeah, yeah, I also obsess over a 3mm over 5mm spacer under stem...)
    Whatever floats your boat.

Admitting you/I/we have a problem is the first step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast