Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trans Am vs. Stylus

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  boostin 
#1 ·
Looking to finally build a steel 26 ht and just wanted some opinions on differences in the frames and they way they ride from those that are riding them. I know both have loyal followings and I will mostly be trail/am/training/fun and would like to option to switch the style of riding. I'm wanting prob a '12 or newer (44 mm headtube) probably size medium and still undecided on fork length (150mm at very most) and using my Crossmax St's w/15mm.

Thanks

#6 ·
Something to keep in mind is the Trans Am has a steeper head angle. I just bought a Works components 2 degree slackset for mine to slacken it to around 67. One plus about the Trans Am is the frame has swap able dropouts and comes standard with a 142 x 12mm rear end. Chromag definitely wins in the looks department.

#11 ·
Looking to finally build a steel 26 ht and just wanted some opinions on differences in the frames and they way they ride from those that are riding them. I know both have loyal followings and I will mostly be trail/am/training/fun and would like to option to switch the style of riding. I'm wanting prob a '12 or newer (44 mm headtube) probably size medium and still undecided on fork length (150mm at very most) and using my Crossmax St's w/15mm.

Thanks
What type of riding do you plan on doing? Both will take a serious beating, but I think the TransAM crosses into the XC category a little more with the angles it has. I run my TransAM as SS and some of my riding buddies with slacker angles have a hard time keeping up with me when the trails get twisty. However, its plenty stable on the DH and jumps like a dream. I love the look of the stylus, but I think the TransAM climbs as well as it descends, and the Stylus looks as though it descends a little better than it climbs (Never ridden one, just speaking on the looks of the angles - so don't quote me on that). However, you really can't go wrong with either. I think the Cromag is a little more pricey eh?

#12 ·
"...For my area I think 140mm is plenty since I only see mountains when I watch PB! "

Same here. I run a 140mm fork on my Evil Sovereign for riding on rolling hills.

The NS Surge looks good & the price is nice. Pretty slack; out of all the frames mentioned, the TA is the steepest in the seat/head- angles so it'd climb a little better. I don't mind giving up a little for my Evil (look into the Sov, Chain Reaction had a really good price on'em a few months back).

#13 ·
both are made in taiwan and about the same quality. i have a medium trans am and now have a chromag tlr waiting to get built up. the samurai and tlr are hand made in canada and are some very nice frames. i was looking for a samurai but stumbled upon a good deal on the tlr instead.

the newer trans ams solved a few issues the old ones had, the dropi n headset and the goofy rear dropouts. the new ones are a little more refined, still not light but it is an am frame not an xc one. basically you are looking at personal preference here. buy whichever one suits you geometry and looks wise. i don't think you could go wrong either way. to me the trans am is overpriced as is the stylus really, compared to say an on one 456.

#14 ·
Pricier than the TA or Stylus; but I love my samurai. Running a 160 talas 36 on it and one of the only bikes where I've ever really used the talas -- the frame geo makes the most of all three settings. 140 most of the time, but it turns into a sick descender in 160 when the terrain is really steep.

Also a rock-solid, confidence-inspiring frame. I'm hitting stuff on it that I never would have considered HT-friendly. It's absolutely perfect for BC/PacNW shredding.

And if you're lucky, you might find a used one in pristine condition like I did... :thumbsup:

(Check out FM's custom curtlo in the classifieds, though. Say it ain't so, Flash! :cryin:)

#15 ·
(Check out FM's custom curtlo in the classifieds, though. Say it ain't so, Flash! :cryin:)
It's true. Was thinking you might like the seat post....

While I'm here I'll throw in my .02c. - You do get what you pay for. The first thing a frame builder will do to cut cost is to downgrade the materials (i.e. tubeset). Fancy tubing like Reynolds 853 or Truetemper platinum air-hardens when heated, and offers the builder more size & butting options to lighten the frame without sacrificing strength (since the tubes are still thicker at the joints). Good steel tubing is expensive...An inexpensive 6+lb frame isn't necessarily going to be stronger than a 4.5-5lb frame made from higher-end tubing, in fact it could be weaker. The lighter tubesets also offer a more compliant/flexy ride, which can be a benefit if the tubing is right for the rider's weight and style. Up beyond 5.5lbs I don't believe you'll get any "ride" benefit from a steel frame, it will ride like aluminum, but it will still be quieter and easier to repair.

I really dig chromag's stuff, they do so many nice touches with their forged parts and chainstay yoke, which allows them to have huge tire clearance with short stays. I believe you get much of that on the stylus even though it's made overseas. The stylus also has a dropper-friendly 31.6 seatpost, not sure if transition has upped the transam, used to be 30.0.

#20 ·
Here here!!!

I've run mine with an older 150mm zoke 66 (same a2c as my new 180mm 66). Right now its got a surly instigator rigid fork on it. This bike is awesome, and was a lot easier to buy a complete bike than an equivalent trans am or chromag

#22 ·
I found my samurai in the mtbr classifieds...hard to believe. Got a wicked deal, too.

I've never had a reason to contact them; but from what I've heard (and you can ask FM) you can just call the chromag dudes in Whistler directly. They are really responsive and can build something to your spec.

#28 ·
I have a Stylus frame I am building up. I called Chromag and hashed it out - ended up getting a good deal on last years XL model. Chromag has been awesome to deal with! For that matter when I bought my Covert 5 years ago Transition was super easy to deal with too.

The Stylus looks to be a beefcake frame - built to take abuse. I've got a float 36 fork to throw on. If the bike comes out under 31lbs I'll be stoked.

#30 ·
I have a Stylus frame I am building up. I called Chromag and hashed it out - ended up getting a good deal on last years XL model. Chromag has been awesome to deal with! For that matter when I bought my Covert 5 years ago Transition was super easy to deal with too.

The Stylus looks to be a beefcake frame - built to take abuse. I've got a float 36 fork to throw on. If the bike comes out under 31lbs I'll be stoked.
My Stylus is just over 28lbs. Bike rips!:thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.