mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Trance 27.5 vs 29 - Help Me Decide

I have a 29er HT that is sufficient for 95% of the trails in my immediate area (Long Island, NY). I'm now looking to add an AM bike to still ride some of the trails on Long Island but also venture out to some areas that have a little more than Long Island has to offer - PA, VT, CT, even maybe NC. I used to ride BMX when I was younger and I'm getting the itch to ride some gnarlier lines but nothing too crazy, maybe 2-3 ft jumps, rock gardens, etc.

If possible, I would also like to use this bike for some very limited DH at Mountaincreek and maybe Plattekill. is this possible on the Trance or do you need a dedicated DH rig?

Looks like the Trance or maybe even the Anthem may fit the bill but 27.5 or 29?

Advantages of the 27.5 -

More travel 120-140 as opposed to 120 on the 29er.

More nimble in tight spots

Possible better descending than 29er.

And of course, the biggest, 1000 bucks cheaper than the 29er.

Advantages of 29er -

Perhaps a little more XC oriented with the faster rolling wheels (fact is, most of my riding will be XC).

Better climbing.

I've also considered the Anthem 27.5 or 29er but am wondering if that would be too much of an overlap in capabilities with the HT 29er (100mm travel) I already have.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Trance 27.5 as I believe it'll be the most versatile of the bunch but I'd like to use the bike locally as well.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Trance 26 and I will say that the 27.5 addresses a weakness that afflicts the 26 and 29 inch Trance bikes: an off size rear shock.

Although my Trance 26 is a good bike the one thing that bothers me is my rear shock Rp2 boost valve. When I jump it's necessary to "over pressurize" the shock. Likewise trail settings tend to be lower than over pressure settings. Unfortunately when you have a trail that has two/three foot drops and high speed rock gardens you could be in trouble.

The Trance X 27.5 appear to use a 7.5x2 rear shock, allowing it to use a variety of piggyback shocks. I.e. the Monarch Plus and Fox Float X, Cane Creek Double Barrel.

Dissatisfaction with the rear shock alone led me to passing up some good deals on a Trance X 29er 0 .

Although I'm not absolutely certain about the new rear shock sizing judging from the Monarch Plus on Adam Craig's bike and the increased travel it appears quite likely that Giant has moved to a larger and more common rear shock stroke.

Adam Craig's Bike:

Gallery: Pro bike: Adam Craig's Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've spend some time on a trance x 29er and was very impressed. Thought it was efficient, plush, nimble (for a 29er) with the 69.5 head angle. Took some 2-3 drops with it and it handled em great. Also, demoed the trance 27.5 and it took some time to get used to. Now, I ride a 29er hardtail, so this explains that, but I feel the learning curve may be steeper transitioning to a 27.5 from a 29er. I felt more confident on the 29er, and unless you are going to be spending a lot of time in the air, that may be the better choice. I'm having trouble with the decision you are facing as well. One bike you may want to look at that isn't even out in stores yet is the new 2014 Salsa Horsethief. On paper, it seems like a real winner, and the bike mag reviews are very good. It's got a little more fork travel then the trance 130mm, the chainstays are shorter, and the head angle is a little slacker. The suspension has been overhauled with a split pivot dw design. The cheapest model comes with some nice parts and stans's wheels. I think it's my favorite new fs trail type 29er.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I ride 26er Turner 5 spot, and a Hardtail 29er singlespeed. I feel more confident on the 29er on most trails. I just spent 3 days on a trip to Seattle riding New $5000, 27.5 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon with a Pike fork. It is not as fun as 26er, 9 hours of saddle time. I don't think I mastered 27.5 bike in those 3 days. But I think the 29er is better for all around advanced riders (advanced riders, not pro). I do not like my 120mm fork on my 29er. It is not enough after riding 150mm forks. So short travel on 29ers is an issue. I am 5'7".

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I ride 26er Turner 5 spot, and a Hardtail 29er singlespeed. I feel more confident on the 29er on most trails. I just spent 3 days on a trip to Seattle riding New $5000, 27.5 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon with a Pike fork. It is not as fun as 26er, 9 hours of saddle time. I don't think I mastered 27.5 bike in those 3 days. But I think the 29er is better for all around advanced riders (advanced riders, not pro). I do not like my 120mm fork on my 29er. It is not enough after riding 150mm forks. So short travel on 29ers is an issue. I am 5'7".
    I had a similar experience when I tested the Sultan and 5spot back to back when they came out (DW suspension). The 5 spot seemed like an awesome all-around bike, just aggressive enough to be a good replacement for my older RFX, it used the travel well, the dw-tuned shock just gobbled up sharp impacts, the suspension was efficient and it just rocketed uphill, and the slacker geometry was fun in the DH tech sections. It had 140mm of travel. The Sultan that I tried next felt like it was missing an inch of travel...which it essentially was. It didn't feel like "more" or "the same" travel because it was a 29er. It had a more "sporting" suspension feel to it, where it was taking the edge off of the same stuff, but not absorbing it as effectively. You possibly still had the same end-result in terms of speed, or might have been even faster, but control was sacrificed to some extent in terms of the suspension. The bike rolled over the technical stuff because it was a 29er, but the geometry was kind of obtuse, making the bike feel lazier when pointed downhill. It felt more like a "traditional" 29er with good suspension, but not like the fun 5spot with it's great suspension and ability. If it was a fun fast downhill with quick turns, there was no confusion as to what I'd want, the 5spot was the ticket.

And this is why I haven't looked into 29er suspension bikes until just a couple months ago when I got the specialized Enduro 29er. It wasn't just about the travel, as there'd been a 6" travel Lenz for a while and the 5.5 9er WFO. The E29 had the geometry I knew I wanted from a 29er to make it behave more like a normal bike, while still having 29er wheel advantages. The bikes with 18" chainstays just felt wonky and manufacturers kind of "gave up" trying to fit 29er wheels in frames, rather they just extended the chainstays for the derailleur and linkage stuff that goes in that area. Specialized and BMC have managed to fit everything in there with 16.9 and 17.0 chainstays, respectively, and 9er and Lenz aren't far behind, although they sacrificed the front derailleur (not a big deal with XX1/XO1 now) to do so. Finally there are 29er bikes that are fun and change direction quicker, etc. Hopefully more bikes will follow suit with "normal" geometry and 29ers will get a little more mainstream at these higher travel settings. I don't think they'll replace DH bikes, ever, but they'll offer some options and we'll have a crop of 6" travel 29ers to choose from, should we want one.

The trance has the longer chainstays, but they are great all-around bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hespeler View Post

Would love to hear some thoughts.
    At the end of the day regarding 650b/27.5 to quote my good friend Thomas…

"27.5 is almost one inch closer to 29er in the right direction."

Seriously, try to demo. I didn't find 27.5 different enough to ditch my Nomad. My next bike will be a 140-150mm travel 29er. In no situation is a 26" or 27.5 faster or more fun than a 29er (for me). YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Seems like the consensus is to go for the 29er. I'm 6'2" and love the way my HT 29er fits so I was inclined to go that route from the start but figured there were some aspects of the 650b I was not considering.

Now I just have to wait a few months for the prie to drop a little bit.

I called my LBS to try and get my hands on a 2013 but there are only smalls left. The Trance is a popular bike and waiting is a gamble but hopefully March won't be too late.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hespeler View Post
    Seems like the consensus is to go for the 29er. I'm 6'2" and love the way my HT 29er fits so I was inclined to go that route from the start but figured there were some aspects of the 650b I was not considering.

Now I just have to wait a few months for the prie to drop a little bit.

I called my LBS to try and get my hands on a 2013 but there are only smalls left. The Trance is a popular bike and waiting is a gamble but hopefully March won't be too late.

What size are you looking for? Go-Ride.com had a large 2013 Trance X 1 close out when I was there Saturday. Nice bike. I agree with the others. I liked the 29er Trance better than the 27.5.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I generally prefer 29" but I'd rather have the 650b Trance than the 29". The 29" is too steep and the seat tube if too slack IMO. From what you've said you want to do with the bike I would go for a Stumpy Evo Comp 29". That bike can literally do anything.