I'm with stupid

Trail king/ rubber queen VS. Hans Dampf

So I have be trying to decide what tires to run this year. I ride on pretty much every condition except really muddy. I have a set of HDs on my bike now and like them for the most part. Two things that are making me think I want a tire change are. The rear feels a bit slow when trying to keep momentum on the flatter stuff. The tires will push if I start leaning over harder both front a rear, almost like they want to be stood up and handle bars turned instead of pushing into a corner and leaning aggressive. I have tried different pressures. I Ran the HD's on my steeper trail bike (68 degree Head angle)and they did do the strange push drift. not that I'm back on my AM style bike( 66 degree) and the bike needs to be leaned over harder the tires act much differently. So my question is has anyone run both? What are your thoughts on the Trail kings? Or should I just say forget both of them and go back to a more square profile tire like the minion? Im mainly wanting to run them tubeless on a ust set of wheels so no burping is preferred. These tires are stupid expensive now a days so I'm just trying to be as well informed before I spend more money.

Perpetual Hack
    Been running the HD for 2 seasons as my trail tires.
    They do well in hard-pack, and rocky situations, but they do tend to wash in front when the speed gets up.
    Just not enough open space to cup the dirt.

The RQ does better as it is a more open pattern.
    They are surprisingly fast as well. One of my crew for the past 2 seasons rides RQ in both 2.2 and 2.4.
    Problem with them is the casing is wider than the tread so left unprotected in some situations.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    What compound are you running up front? A couple of guys I know run Trailstar in the front and Pacestar in the rear and really like it. I have run TK/RQ's for the last season. They are hands down my favorite tire. the tread pattern is wide open so like the other poster says its can be vulnerable to damage, though sealant has fixed nearly everything. What I hear from different guys riding both is that the center grip on the TK's is superior than the HD. Most guys like the TK in cornering but wish for a little more side bite. I found the on my Nomad C that the TK's suit me just fine but here in Colorado we don't have a lot of soil, mostly loose over hard pack or rock surface. The guys with HD's say they love the cornering grip and love the all around usefulness of the HD. If you buy TK's make sure to get the Protection Sidewalls that are Tubeless Ready or get the UST's. I needed new tires and after a season on the TK's I found the HD's in Germany for $33 a tire plus shipping, so I am giving the HD's a try this season. Also you might consider some of Schwalbe's other offerings as well. The Nobby Nic and Albert's both perform well in depending on your conditions. The Nobby Nic is much more like the TK because of the open tread pattern. Below is the link to the place that has great prices on Schwalbe Tires and decent prices on Conti's.

tubeless, MTB 26", Reifen & Schluche, Komponenten
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

I'm with stupid
    I have the trail star in the front and the pace star in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I only used the rubber queen ones and they are awesome. Exactly how I like my tires to be. You won't regret getting them..

mtbr member
    I have been running HD front TK rear for a while now. I really like the way the tire works in Socal conditions. I will warn you that the TK Protection (TR and not UST) seems a little fragile for my riding. I have pierced the casing twice in the last six weeks, most recently in my Enduro race yesterday. I am going to try switching over to the UST version which is a little heavier casing (320 TPI vs 180). I was nervous going to a 680 gram tire so it was a mistake on my part for getting something so lite.

usually cranky
    on my 26'' i ran a 2.2 tk in back and it was very quick. may get one for my 29'' too, i liked it that much.

I'm with stupid
    has anyone noticed any folding over of the sidewalls on the trailking 2.4's? I wonder that since they are suck a tall tire that they will fold over easy if the pressure is not cranked up on them.

mtbr member
    ^ that'll be very related to your rim width. Its a HUGE tire, it needs a pretty wide rim or you'll get that rolly floppy feeling at lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hi there!!

is the hans dampf 2.35 wider than the 2.2 trail king (rubber queen) UST?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    has anyone noticed any folding over of the sidewalls on the trailking 2.4's? I wonder that since they are suck a tall tire that they will fold over easy if the pressure is not cranked up on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    ^ that'll be very related to your rim width. Its a HUGE tire, it needs a pretty wide rim or you'll get that rolly floppy feeling at lower pressures.
    Yep. I use 28 mm wide rims on my 29er with 2.4 Mountain Kings and they are very solid through hard turns and definitely do not fold. You really need a wider rim for that tire.

Also, the Mountain Kings are fantastic tires. great braking traction, predictable through corners and wet/dry traction is top notch. Best tires I've used to date.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5