mtbr member

Trail Hardtail advice for a tall guy 6'4"!

Hi Guys,

I am moving to Australia in January and I would like to get my self a trail riding hardtail so that I can do some epic rides out there. I want something that is tough enough for descents, but can handle all day duties too, and coming from a 4x background it would be nice if it was able to handle a few laps of the pump track without it feeling like I was riding a cart horse! I know this is a varied mix of uses for a bike, but as things stand at the moment, with 99% of my money going into my move overseas I can only afford one bike.

My problem though is that I like my bikes relatively low and long (4x background!), just a personal preference really but I like the feeling of a compact bike that I can really chuck around. Being 6 foot 4 however I am really struggling to find a bike that fits the bill. My current bike is a Santa Cruz vp-free, size Large. This has a 24 inch effective top tube length, which is fine for me. It is a LARGE frame though, kind of like riding a farm gate. I have been looking at a lot of medium sized frames, because they offer the kind of compact package I am looking for, without sacrificing to much seat tube length but obviously, being mediums they have shorter top tubes.

Are there any other tall guys out there who could give me some advice, or views on the frame size equation? What size bikes are you riding and do you find them cramped?

I have been looking at the following frames;

Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Chumba Racing HX1
    Ragley Blue Pig

Has anyone else got any other advice or recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys, I am sure these height vs frame size threads have been done to death but I want to tap the fountain of knowledge that is MTBR!!

Cheers, hope you are all well.

Ben
    Canada Here I Come.....

MTB B'dos

Good job!

Not quite sure why a guy your height is looking at Medium frames You say you want to do epics and then state you're looking at Mediums, kind of an oxy-moron IMHO. Get a bike your size and then put a shorter stem on it if you really want the smaller cockpit. I ride 29ers, so my advice is going to be if you're in the N.America, try to see if you can demo a Banshee PARADOX 29er. I just recently got mine about 4 months ago and came off a 4.5" FS 29er and the geo is so fun and sweet with super short IMHO chainstays of 16.9". Running a 120 Minute fork. Very capable light AM bike that can do XC or take a few jumps/drops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Hardtail advice for a tall guy 6'4"!-p1050810.jpg  

Last edited by LyNx; 12-17-2010 at 04:23 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    6'3" Ragley Blue Pig owner here - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...agley-Blue-Pig.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    6'4" 228# Kona Five-O XL built. Not exactly a "trail" bike, but......

The White Jeff W
    6' 2" on a large Chumba HX1. Running 650B wheels. No way I could ride a medium without feeling cramped.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am 6'4"ish and I just picked up a Stumpy HT EVO 20" frame and love it. Give it a go. I do not feel cramped at all and it fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodben
    Are there any other tall guys out there who could give me some advice, or views on the frame size equation? What size bikes are you riding and do you find them cramped?
    6ft5 and I know how you feel.

My xc frame is a 21in xxl, very long, very high and it makes going down hills feel like being perched on top of a gate, stable yes, not fun.

Other hardtail is an 18inch with a 400mm seat post, 50 mm stem and wide (730) bars. With the post up it just about has enough leg extension to climb hills properly, but the tt is too short to be efficient. Climbing is a slow winching affair, going down the other way is great though. It feels a lot like how BMXs used to feel before I grew huge, it's great to really push the frame into the ground in compressions without it feeling like it's going to come back up and fire you over the bars like xl frames do. The tt being relatively short helps as well, makes it very easy to move weight about and pop the front wheel.

Regards sizing, I'm waiting a for a Pig X to come in the new year. Whether it will be a 20 or an 18 remains to be decided, from sitting on a 2010 Pig it will most likely be an 18 but we'll see. What I would really like is an 18 extra long, with a longer than normal top tube but 18inch seat tube, maybe something to save up for from a custom...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys,

Lynx; I have looked at the Banshee Paradox but I don't want a 29er at the moment. I know it seems stupid that I am looking into medium sized frames, but compact bikes are just a personal preference. That is why I am asking for some advice however, because I realise the practicality issues associated with that preference and I am therefore assessing weather it is realistic or not. I will be doing more trail riding in short bursts that I will be doing all day epics, but I would have thought that once a month or so I would want to head out for a day long ride. I guess I would therefore say that I am looking for a capable "fun" bike with occasional all day ability than a full on bike for epics.

Brant; Love your blue pig, looks great in black! How do you find the 18" frame? I see you run an 80mm stem, does this give you enough room in the cockpit?

Jeffw-13; I just replied to a post by you in another thread too, thanks for the advice, I can see from looking at your picture that the Large is indeed the right size for someone our size (You and I have a very similar build judging by the picture). How do you find the TT height? Have you got plenty of standover? Do you by any chance have a side on shot of the Large HX1?

Thanks for the help Guys!
    Canada Here I Come.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Regards sizing, I'm waiting a for a Pig X to come in the new year. Whether it will be a 20 or an 18 remains to be decided, from sitting on a 2010 Pig it will most likely be an 18 but we'll see. What I would really like is an 18 extra long, with a longer than normal top tube but 18inch seat tube, maybe something to save up for from a custom...
    That is exactly the kind of bike I would be after, lower seat tube, longer top tube, for the exact reasons you stated, up-hill pedalability, downhill stability and maneuverability.
    Canada Here I Come.....

mtbr member
    Brant; Love your blue pig, looks great in black! How do you find the 18" frame? I see you run an 80mm stem, does this give you enough room in the cockpit?
    Not my bike. I just linked to that.

I'm 6'2", ride a current 18in Blue Pig with a 40mm stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade

The new 18in pig offers 6mm more reach to the bars for the same everything else, due to the steeper seat angle.

Other option if you're after something lower, is a Bagger 288, which has a lower top tube, and is designed for longer forks, but will work great with 140's or 150's.

lotto baby
    6'4 here and on a size XL brodie bruzza. i ride tons of x/c on it, hit the pump track, and DJ with it. it really shines on DS courses too. it's a little heavy, but its hard to find a lightweight hardtail (in the XL size) that can take a good beating like it can. price is right too.

i'm also a fan of the kona five-0 for what you're talking about.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    The new 18in pig offers 6mm more reach to the bars for the same everything else, due to the steeper seat angle.

Other option if you're after something lower, is a Bagger 288, which has a lower top tube, and is designed for longer forks, but will work great with 140's or 150's.
    So the 18" blue Pig with 40mm stem works fine for you Brant? When you say the new 18in pig, do you mean the Pig x or all the 2011 blue pig versions? Does the mmmbop gain this extra 6mm as well?

Thanks.
    Canada Here I Come.....

mtbr member
    I thought about the 288, but it might freak other trail users out to have someone coming up behind them chanting Bagger 288! Bagger 288!.

mtbr member
    I think I have figured out that the mmmbop isn't being made anymore, but is being replaced with a frame called the Troof. It looks long and low. hmmmm, Brent, you design these frames? Any pictures of full builds of the Troof in existence?
    Canada Here I Come.....

MTB B'dos
    Frame fit is very personal preference, and as such get what works for you, I just know that if I tried to ride a Medium frame doing alot of peddaling I wouldn't evne last 2 hours, farless an entire day BTW 6'2", 35.25" inseam, long arms. Don't right 29ers off as not fun, the Paradox is so much fun I really don't believe it, very nimble for a "big" bike.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Lynx; I have looked at the Banshee Paradox but I don't want a 29er at the moment. I know it seems stupid that I am looking into medium sized frames, but compact bikes are just a personal preference. That is why I am asking for some advice however, because I realise the practicality issues associated with that preference and I am therefore assessing weather it is realistic or not. I will be doing more trail riding in short bursts that I will be doing all day epics, but I would have thought that once a month or so I would want to head out for a day long ride. I guess I would therefore say that I am looking for a capable "fun" bike with occasional all day ability than a full on bike for epics.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Last edited by eurospek; 12-17-2010 at 09:10 PM.

The White Jeff W

Jeffw-13; I just replied to a post by you in another thread too, thanks for the advice, I can see from looking at your picture that the Large is indeed the right size for someone our size (You and I have a very similar build judging by the picture). How do you find the TT height? Have you got plenty of standover? Do you by any chance have a side on shot of the Large HX1?

Plenty of standover, even with the 27.5" wheels. I should probably be on a bigger bike but I like the shorter wheelbase so I stretch it out with a setback seatpost and 100mm stem. I use this bike as a go anywhere general purpose trail bike and I really love it. 120mm fork on it. Handles great, very stable. Climbs great and loves to bomb downhill.

Ragleys are nice bikes too. I built an mmmBop for my girlfriend and it's a really nice frame, not to mention the evil genius himself (Brant) is right here in this thread.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    How much clearance do you have with those big wheels? that pic further up looks like its a very small gap between wheel and fork arch..
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    So the 18" blue Pig with 40mm stem works fine for you Brant? When you say the new 18in pig, do you mean the Pig x or all the 2011 blue pig versions? Does the mmmbop gain this extra 6mm as well?

Thanks.
    Indeed it does work well. The 40mm stem was a quick fix from the parts bin, swapping down from a 50mm, but I'm more than happy with the way it works. Kind of downhill orientated, but I've not noticed any problems with stood or seated climbing.

2011 Pig, Pig X, Troof and Bagger 288 all have same seat angle and top tube length with that 6mm extra reach due to the steeper seat angle.

mmmbop is discontinued for 2011.

mtbr member
    Indeed it does work well. The 40mm stem was a quick fix from the parts bin, swapping down from a 50mm, but I'm more than happy with the way it works. Kind of downhill orientated, but I've not noticed any problems with stood or seated climbing.

2011 Pig, Pig X, Troof and Bagger 288 all have same seat angle and top tube length with that 6mm extra reach due to the steeper seat angle.

mmmbop is discontinued for 2011.
    Do you know the weight of the 20" Troof vs a new 20" Blue Pig? And judging by the design of the frame, I take it there will be ample stand over room? What size is the curry yellow frame press pic floating around?

I've been toying with the idea instead of the Blue Pig, to get a 20" Troof in Other Red since I can find new Lyriks for less than $300 on eBay.

And as always Brant, thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Do you know the weight of the 20" Troof vs a new 20" Blue Pig? And judging by the design of the frame, I take it there will be ample stand over room? What size is the curry yellow frame press pic floating around?

I've been toying with the idea instead of the Blue Pig, to get a 20" Troof in Other Red since I can find new Lyriks for less than $300 on eBay.

And as always Brant, thanks for the help!
    Weight wasn't a specific with the Troof, over and above "I know it will be lighter". I can't remember weighing the frame when it landed for some reason. I would expect it would be 1 to 1.5lb lighter than a steel frame though.

The Curry Yellow one is 17in.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    How much clearance do you have with those big wheels? that pic further up looks like its a very small gap between wheel and fork arch..

Pretty tight at the arch. A 2.35 Nevegal has about a pencils width of clearance. Tons of clearance at the seat & chainstays

No moss...