10 50.00%
  • marin quake

1 5.00%
  • cannondale prophet MX

9 45.00%
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trail bike opinions.

I am looking at building a new trail bike (It is going to be a downieville bike, basicly built for downieville)
    I wanted to know wich you guys think would be the best for me
    I basicly want a short travel (5-6 inches) freeride bike, I am going to jump it, I am going to be doing drops (6 or so feet) and I will be riding it on the local DH trails.

ride hard take risks
    Versus Blitz rails Downievill

assuming you need to climb as well...

Intense 6.6,
    Be like Mark Weir w/ his ano slate SC Nomad who has the Downie record.
    Transition Preston,
    Turner rfx/6pack
    Spec'd Enduro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    Intense 6.6,
    Be like Mark Weir w/ his ano slate SC Nomad who has the Downie record.
    Transition Preston,
    Turner rfx/6pack
    Spec'd Enduro.
    I can't get intense, I work at a shop and tried to EP an M3 and there was no way
    I like the nomad but its to XC in the geo for my liking, as well I have an ano slate V10 and for the life of me I can not get all the dirt off
    The preston frame is about as heavy as my V10 and I like the holeshot more
    I can't get turner, again I tried to get a DHR
    The enduros look cool though and I can get thoes with no problem.

TNC
    noMAD man

The Nomad is not XC'ish.

Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    I can't get intense, I work at a shop and tried to EP an M3 and there was no way
    I like the nomad but its to XC in the geo for my liking, as well I have an ano slate V10 and for the life of me I can not get all the dirt off
    The preston frame is about as heavy as my V10 and I like the holeshot more
    I can't get turner, again I tried to get a DHR
    The enduros look cool though and I can get thoes with no problem.
    When the Nomad was about to be released, I thought like you...it was going to be a burlier XC rig. When I got mine, I was a little shocked, a little disappointed, and very pleasantly surprised.

The only thing I was a little disappointed in was the weight. It weighs about the same as my Bullits. The geometry of the bike is definitely not XC'ish. It is long and stable...actually more stable than my Bullits. This is an odd bike in that it has excellent downhill and technical terrain stability while still being a sharp trail handler and excellent climber.

Our shop is an SC and Specialized dealer. I was going to get an '06 Enduro on a great EP deal. The lack of shock tuning access and capability finally turned me away. For me, bikes with this much travel and gnarl factor need good shock tuning ability for proper setup. I'm not trying to "sell" you on the Nomad so much as debate your XC'ish comment. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but I think most Nomad owners will admit to having an initial preconception about what the Nomad was going to be, and then having a pleasant surprise as to what the Nomad actually turned out to be. I will continue to compare the Nomad to a kind of VPP Bullit...which is in to way XC'ish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think the Nomad would be perfect, too, but something a little more downhill oriented would be the Specialized Enduro SX Trail II With a top tube 22.8" long, head angle 66.5 deg. seat angle 70 deg. and a wheelbase 45.5" long, it is very downhill oriented, and is only 34 pounds or so. Very cool looking bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Bottle Rocket is a bike designed for slope style. The Cannondale Prophet MX is much more suited as a Downieville type bike imo. The Preston would be a better trail bike also. As mentioned, the Nomad is already tearing up Downieville type courses.