Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trail/all mountain/short travel fun bike

Im looking for a trail bike with between 4 and 5.5" travel that will basically fill the hole between my 4x hardtail and my downhill bike, as a dh rider I basically want a short travel bike that can go anywhere realy but I dont need excessive travel to do that, just a solid fun frame that i can 'rag' arround trails or anything that takes my fancy, you know the bike you always want to pick up first out of the shed cos' its just so much fun
    to play about on.

At the moment iv been looking at four bikes realy...

Iron horse mkIII- not sure how it rides looks good on paper, but, 69degree h/a seems a little steep maby not for general trail stuff but when things turn downhill and I wana let rip then I dont know if Im gona have problems, I can also only slacken it by the height of a headset cup by running external rather than internal(half to one degree?).

Blur 4x- looks good but 66 degree head angle with full length pikes is insane, far too slack for a bike that small id imagine, id end up using less travel id guess and locked right down for single track.(guessing help would be great)

Trance with pikes? slacken it to a reasonable degree, but im not so sure how itd compare plus travel is a little short at four inches, help would be great again.

Prophet- great adjustability, travels a little long but, only by .5 not sure about the ride and how it compares but flexy rear end may cause problems, mx would be better but frame sets arnt avaliable and full bikes suck.

Help would be great, im so confused as to what will ride well and what wont, the ironhorse wont be avaliable for much longer so the quicker you guys can help that would be great.

Thanks
    Adam

The Other Dude
    Have you considered the Specialized SX? Not the trail, the regular SX? I just got one and it seems great. I use it for days at the Park, and the local BMX track, while my wife uses it as her XC bike when we go out. With the 2 shock shuttles, and RP3 shock, its very versitile.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Check out the Transition Preston or Covert. The Preston is more of a FR bike, the Covert more of a trail/AM bike. 5-5.5" travel, capable of 180/160mm travel forks respectively.

Unless you're going to be hucking with it, I think the Covert would fit the bill for you. 140mm rear travel, a bit stronger/heavier than your typical trail bike (frame is 6.75lbs I think).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ibex Atlas

Have you given any thought to an Ibex Atlas? I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and love the thing! 5" travel front and back, great specs to boot.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

There are a couple of guys in the Ibex forum that are serious DH's and have Atlas's as there do all trail bike. They Love the things! Plus you can beat the price.Also, the Atlas is the same exact frame as the Azonic Revenge. Made by the same people, only the Ibex version is made from better material. Check out this thread.

Atlas/Revenge

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mongoose EC-X 2007 frameset, or 2006 complete bicycle:

http://www.harborcountrybike.com/EC_X_p/m6ecx.htm

http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail...nal&brandID=57

Short travel, but might be just what you're looking for, check em out.
    If you're not hung up on 6 inches of travel, it is a real trail burner, with dialed geometry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you're considering the Prophet but are worried about too much travel and it being too soft, you might want to check out the Rush. It has been fantastic as an all-around ride for me - quick, responsive, climbs like crazy, and seems to handle rough stuff really well.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im digging my Turner Flux. Its an XC machine, but with a 70 deg HA and a long wheelbase, its a nice and stable ride. The ONLY time it felt out of its element was when I was running down extremely steep rocky stuff at Killington peak in VT, and I think a lot of that had to do with a case of small-cajone-itis on my part.

eBiker
    Check out a Kona Dawg, too. 68* HA, low BB, 5", tough, quality.

Oddly, there are not a lot of options for 5" & 68* HA. Most are specced with 69* HA.

The IH Mkiii is 69* with a 6" fork on it. Love the DW link, but not jazzed on the geo.

A big fork on the Trance may raise the BB too much.

Look to frames that are designed with the HA you are looking for to begin with, as they will end up being the most balanced.

P

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Have you given any thought to an Ibex Atlas? I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and love the thing! 5" travel front and back, great specs to boot.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

There are a couple of guys in the Ibex forum that are serious DH's and have Atlas's as there do all trail bike. They Love the things! Plus you can beat the price.Also, the Atlas is the same exact frame as the Azonic Revenge. Made by the same people, only the Ibex version is made from better material. Check out this thread.

Atlas/Revenge
    another vote for the Atlas... awesome do it all bike if you like something flickable... feels like a slopestyle fs bike which can still plough rock gardens... Here's a pic of the Atlas in action and a thread to see what the Atlas rides... That thread is me on my Ibex Zone though (bigger version of the Atlas) but trust me when i say the Atlas gets no mercy when coming down those stuff... Not as fast as an all out DH/FR rig but it holds it's own...

Pics of the Zone in action today

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about a Reign?
    I know it's not a 5" bike, but the geometry, pedallability, and whatnot it would fit your requirements well. I'm on a Reign X and I'm grabbing it more and more even for trail riding...

mtbr member

Good list so far....

Don't forget the Titus Motolite. It's 4" or 5" and is a great all-around trail bike. People race XC and endurance races on it built up light and it will handle some pretty chunky junk in the 5 inch mode with a pike and burlier build.

If you're really looking for something with more like 67-68 degrees HA, think about the 6" Intense 6.6 or Titus El Guapo. Both can be built up in the 30-32 lbs range, are great climbers and all-around trail bikes that can handle some super chunk and light FR too.

mtbr member
    May 2005

hey hey

I second the Rush as a short travel rig....you should at least check it out.

i built one with a Pike, which remains cranked down to 120mm to perfectly match the rear end travel. built with burly wheels and evrything else XT it rips the **** outta single track. The low bb and sloping top tube make for a bike that can be heaved with abandon around the fastest, flattest corners you can find.

it is simply my fill in between a 'cross bike and my 160mm heavier duty rig....the Rush is certainly worth checking out....lifrtime frame warranty does not suck either.

it's....
    Let me add Chumba XCL to the mix, very similar to Titus ML.

Just ride
    i'm partial to the prophet. I ride one now, and like you said, its the bike that I want to pick up and take everywhere. Its a great do it all bike.

Its light enough for those long XC rides, and then its got enough plush suspension to take some beating too. and the adjustable geometry is really neat too!

I've had absolutely no problems with mine, just a great all around ride

mtbr member
    Lots of usefull info there, first im from the uk and i think one of the bikes you mentioned there isnt avalable as far as i know, realy interested to here about the prophet, thets the one i always wanted cos' of the adjustable gea and the fact its been used for about every type of riding imaginable quite sucessfully, but the lack of mx framesets and a reported flexy rear end on the regualr prophet which is the only one i can realy get withough a reduculous build(mx 2=more expensive but crapper heavier parts than the prophet 2). I am realy looking at the 5" area to keep the fun in it. MkIII im still not sure about the head angle, theres only the prospect of lengthening it to 68.5ish with a external lower headset cup, will that be slack enough? I like the idea of being able to play with the blur geo with the forks(same with prophet piviot) but im just a bit woried that ill constantly be locked down to 95mm after all its a trail bike not a downhill bike. Just a little confused not having had the chance to ride any of the bikes which is a real *****.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just another point to keep in mind is that for some reason Cannondale has ditched the Lefty Max for 08 Prophets. I don't know if you care about having a Lefty or not, but in my opinion it absolutely makes the bike. Find an 07 Prophet or 08 Rush 4 or higher if you want the Lefty.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How about the Heckler? Find an older version frame with air shock which would give you 5in travel and it seems to like anywhere from a 120mm to 160mm fork. The Pike or Lyric would be ideal. Dial it out for doing some DH or dial it down for more of a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Go for the blur 4x, Even with a pike dual air at a full 140mm it's not too slack for climbing. It's by far the most fun bike I've had yet. It handlles like a super quick DH bike, but pedals as well as just about any XC bike, you won't be disappointed if you buy one.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridea
    Lots of usefull info there, first im from the uk realy interested to here about the prophet, thets the one i always wanted cos' of the adjustable gea and the fact its been used for about every type of riding imaginable quite sucessfully, but the lack of mx framesets and a reported flexy rear end on the regualr prophet
    Rode a Gemini back in the day, believe it was a 5" bike with a Lefty & was very impressed with it. My 2nd bike to my Versus Blitz II is the brand not available to you as you mentioned, Ibex Atlas. I am never disapointed when riding the Atlas. The single pivot is going to have some flex but it is a single pivot. As for a kick arz fun bike it is titz. How about a Orange 5?? Is that available as a frameset?

Check this guy out he knows his shitz.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=103449431
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer299
    Go for the blur 4x, Even with a pike dual air at a full 140mm it's not too slack for climbing. It's by far the most fun bike I've had yet. It handlles like a super quick DH bike, but pedals as well as just about any XC bike, you won't be disappointed if you buy one.
    a little more info would be great, what did you have befor? how does it compare h/a etc, do you use it for regular trail and singletrack riding? whats it like/does it get boring or slow feeling with the slack angles on this type of riding? how tall are you and what suze do you run?

as for the prophet, i dont realy liek the lefty, i prefer pikes realy. I can get a prophet 2 build for a reasonable price(the one with pikes but not the mx) but im just woried about flex.

mk3 still in the running mainly cos' i can get the full bike cheep untill somone buys it, just not sure about the head angle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Motolite or Covert.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    another vote for the Atlas... awesome do it all bike if you like something flickable... feels like a slopestyle fs bike which can still plough rock gardens...
    The Atlas has typical trail geometry (69* HA), when the original poster asked about frames with 68* HA. And the slopestyle comment hyperbole is worthy of Mountain Bike Action reviews....

Seriously, this Ibex Guerilla Marketing spam is getting old. It seems to be in every what bike to buy thread.

P

ride hard take risks
    Check out BJ & see what he might have http://www.rotaimports.com.au/ he's a great person & might be able to help out a little closer for you.

Atlas

Prothet MX
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skim1040
    i'm partial to the prophet. I ride one now, and like you said, its the bike that I want to pick up and take everywhere. Its a great do it all bike.

Its light enough for those long XC rides, and then its got enough plush suspension to take some beating too. and the adjustable geometry is really neat too!

I've had absolutely no problems with mine, just a great all around ride

Is that the sl or the longer traver prophet?

does anyone know if they are both the same frame with a shorter shock and fork? on paper the geo is exactly the same for both other than the shock, travel and bb height, if it is the same then i could chop and change with shock lengths etc. if not then i have to concider which model i want/ how much travel I realy want.

Just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridea
    Is that the sl or the longer traver prophet?

does anyone know if they are both the same frame with a shorter shock and fork? on paper the geo is exactly the same for both other than the shock, travel and bb height, if it is the same then i could chop and change with shock lengths etc. if not then i have to concider which model i want/ how much travel I realy want.
    140mm Of travel front and rear.

also, with C'dales discontinuation of the left max, the new '08 Prophets no longer come with a lefty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast