Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: top speed

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

top speed

Just out of pure curiosity for those braver than I. I top speed is prob around 26mph or so, downhill of course, I don't really like to go over 20 for I get the recurring remembrance of the old death wobble i experienced as a kid lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My cycle computer usually reads 24mph for the twisty single track trails here at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia. That's about all I could squeeze out with our tight single track on a GT Avalanche 3.0. I'm sure there are some trails that I could tip the 28 or 30mph mark but I'm not sure if I want to with a HT! I did reach 33mph downhill on pavement.

Death wobble is usually caused by a death grip on the handlebars. I learned that pretty quick racing motorcycles when I was 9! An aggressive rake angle will make it tough to avoid head shake high speeds though. Keep your arms relaxed and your grip loose; keep the seat between your thighs for stability while standing.

mtbr member
    I hit 38.7 according to Strava following my friend on a hardtail single speed maybe 2 weeks ago. Trail was wide single track with long winding turns.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    lol, I was on pavement. I couldn't swing anything close in the woods, I'm a newbie

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Please do not keep posting speeds. Anti-bike trail users will use this as a justification for closing trails to bikes.

usually cranky
    maybe around 30-35 in the woods.

Happy Trails

top speed

53 mph on pavement; downhill in full aero tuck. Probably 40 on the trail. I now I've seen 37mph recently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Please do not keep posting speeds. Anti-bike trail users will use this as a justification for closing trails to bikes.
    Its of absolutely no concern. Complete non-issue, dont worry about it.

Ive hit 35... 35 on dirt is *really* fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

top speed

I hit 60.3 on pavement once according to gps. Another time in the same place I was going maybe 55 and a rabbit darted out in front of me, missed it by about 6 inches. I am pretty sure I would have gotten a nice helicopter ride if I had hit it, if I wasn't dead.

mtbr member
    I've hit 57 on pavement going downhill and on a couple more open sections of dirt trail, my cyclometer has read as high as 44mph. Tighter downhill singletrack has limited me to around 28.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdeno0001 View Post
    Just out of pure curiosity for those braver than I. I top speed is prob around 26mph or so, downhill of course, I don't really like to go over 20 for I get the recurring remembrance of the old death wobble i experienced as a kid lol.
    is that like the wobble you get on a skateboard when your trucks are loose and youre going down a hill?

you shouldnt get a death wobble doing 20mph or 30 for that matter. get your bike checked out!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Since this is an internet board, I've gone 47 mph on tight rocky singletrack on a rigid singlespeed. 84 mph on the road.

Strava said so, it must be true
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Really really fast speeds on the road arent uncommon or too outlandish. Someone on RBR posted a radar'd speeding ticket from a cop for 60+ mph on a bike

mtbr member
    Yeah, I hit 41 pretty much every morning on my commute, and high 50's on an extended homebound route I take every so often. Of course, on a road bike on paved streets. Isn't that big of a deal, really.

Since I don't use a computer on my mtb anymore, I don't know what I've hit on the trails. I just started Strava'ing my rides (pretty much for record keeping, not so much for the competition part of it), so I'm curious to see what it is. I'm guessing low 30's is about the fastest I've gone on a trail
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

top speed

Quote Originally Posted by cdeno0001 View Post
    49mph on dirt on my singlespeed.

60-some on pavement.

Been over 40mph on the flat drafting a truck.

Have had my computer record 131mph on technical singletrack and 87 on a trail climb. Probably in error
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    54 mph on a gravel access road.

Mid 20's on the trail. Not much room between rocks to get speed up.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member

Re: top speed

Mid-20s on a lonely mup. Too old and don't heal fast enough for anything faster.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 2000
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'd pee my pants anything over 40 for sure. And to clarify, I have not experienced the "death wobble" on my current bike, the thought just creeps into my head while catching speed. I grew up in the sticks of KY, near a very large hill or two, one nasty spill was all I wanted ha ha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Absolute max speed I've seen for me was 45mph. That was on a walgoose PoS with me pedaling in 21st down a hill as fast as I could go. The knobby tires didn't help. Fastest on singletrack was 30 mph or so. Endo'd at 20mph once so I try not to go too fast on singletrack anymore. These are on a hard tail XC bike though. With a proper FS AM/FR/DH bike I'm sure I would be more comfortable at speed.

Rogue Exterminator
    48 mph on a twisty road but it was on an old ass mountain bike.
    It was kind of fun catching up with cars for a change. haha
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its of absolutely no concern. Complete non-issue, dont worry about it.

Ive hit 35... 35 on dirt is *really* fast.
    I definitely disagree that its a non-issue. Saidrick is absolutely correct that the anti's can and will use this info against us. As someone who is pretty involved in increasing trail access, trust me on this one . . . I've seen it first-hand.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Most Ive done is 38 mph but thats because I run out of gears long before it gets sketchy. Down side to 28T 1x10
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    54 mph on a gravel access road.

Mid 20's on the trail. Not much room between rocks to get speed up.
    Good lord, the last place I would want to be doing 50+ is on gravel! Can you imagine the scrubbing you'd get in the ER?
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I definitely disagree that its a non-issue. Saidrick is absolutely correct that the anti's can and will use this info against us. As someone who is pretty involved in increasing trail access, trust me on this one . . . I've seen it first-hand.
    Little late... 20 posts in, damage is done. Only thing to do now is close the thread.

I max out at about 15mph on my high speed trail rides. 20mph downhill on the road.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    At a DH track many years ago (CLOSED TO PUBLIC for safety) most of us were getting to 99.9km (around 60mph) on a steep, smooth and long bit of fire road. This was back before strava - so it was trusty / dodgy cycle computer that topped out at 99.9 km. Not really sure how accurate it was at that speed as a small error at a slow speed may have been a large error at a faster pace.

Certainly felt uncomfortably fast and the wind was similar to the motorbike on the highway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast