mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Tools and water, on your back or on your bike?

So how do you decide to put your tools and water on your bike or on you?

Camelback or 3 pocket shirt for rides under 2 1\2 hours?

i kind of switch back and forth, somedays on the short rides(under 2 1\2 hours) it is nice to have the tools and water on the bike. It is nice to not have a camelback on. but once the rides start getting longer, the camelback seems
    to work better.
    What about for you folks?
    hour long rides just don't happen for me. The shortest ride seems to be atleast 2 hours long.

So small camelback so you are not waited down on your bike or water bottles and pockets so the bike feels light?

mtbr member
    I ride very technical terrain and almost always need 70 oz of water or more. Anything weighing my bike down affects it's "flickability" for lack of a better term. For me, the tools and H2O go on my back.

mtbr member
    On my back.

Once (and only once) I watched my water bottle disappear down the side of Skiddaw after it decided to jump out the bottle cage. Even if I'm carrying water in bottles it lives in my pack, that thing doesn't jump off!

Trailhead Poseur
    Both. I keep a multi-tool, spare tube, and miscellaneous bits in a small saddle bag, and water and pump in Camelbak. I have a 100 oz. Camelbak, but for short rides I just don't fill it all the way. I never carry water bottles on the frame because everything that your front wheel rolls through ends up all over the bottles, and I share my home trail with horses...
    Last edited by jjaguar; 04-06-2013 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I hate having stuff on my back, so I typically use water bottles and a seat bag for tools and spare tube. I would only use a Camelbak if the ride were truly epic, which for me is over 3 hours.

A few weeks ago I was out on my Honzo, jumping the heck out of it and I didn't lose my water bottle. I've had that problem in the past, but the trick is to use a King or Salsa stainless steel cage and bend it enough to really grip the bottle.

mtbr member
    if im going for an hour or 2, i take 2 water bottles on my bike. if its super hot, or if im going to be gone for more than 2 hours, i take my Camelbak
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

The White Jeff W

Re: Tools and water, on your back or on your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I hate having stuff on my back, so I typically use water bottles and a seat bag for tools and spare tube. I would only use a Camelbak if the ride were truly epic, which for me is over 3 hour.

Me too. Condensed tool kit in the saddle bag, water in bottles.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I ride very technical terrain and almost always need 70 oz of water or more. Anything weighing my bike down affects it's "flickability" for lack of a better term. For me, the tools and H2O go on my back.
    100% agree, I tried putting everything on the bike at first but it just didn't feel right..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    For short rides I used to only take one bottle on the bike and no tools. Every few years I'd get a flat and then would carry tools for a month then go back to none. For long rides I take the Camelbak and sometimes water on the frame too. I ride at high altitude and get headaches so I drink more than others. I hate sweaty back so I've been looking for something like the Osprey bags that have a mesh back separated from the pack. My new AM bike doesn't have water bottle mounts so it'll be backpack on almost all rides from here on out.

mtbr member
    I ride alone most of the time, I would put all the item in my camelbak.
    If I'm hurt & stuck in some remote area I will still have my tools & water for self rescue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good point. I do the same thing. When far from help, I bring a shell jacket, flash light, whistle, etc. I've contemplated a Spot device or other Sat beacon but haven't decided to go that far yet.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

The deciding factor for me is the volume of water I need and the convenience of sipping from the pack over a bottle. I like taking small sips at almost every opportunity rather than reaching down for the bottle or taking a rest to drink many ounces at once. And since I drink a lot I need the camelback anyway. I passed out from dehydration once and won't let that happen again!

Though I will say I prefer the feeling of riding pack-free when I'm doing shuttles or bike park where "help" and a spare tube are always in reasonable walking/shouting distance.

Basically for XC rides I would rather have too much stuff and not need it than not enough and wish I did. Also Always nice to be able to offer to a buddy or rinse hands after a crash or whatever.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Happy Trails

Tube, BigAir cartridge, patch kit, and multi-tool in my saddle bag.... I have it wrapped up neat and tight and I leave it there, don't touch unless needed. I've found that if I trade gear from saddle bag to pack, or from bike to bike ... I'll occasionally leave vital gear in the wrong place at wrong time. Then, depending on the ride and the weather, I usually add a Camelback with a pump and a tube, weather gear, and my iPhone and either 50oz or 70oz bladder; or I'll add a bottle to the cage on my bike. Usually, if I don't feel that I need the Camelback, I'm doing laps or Xterra race or a leg stretcher and one 20 or 24oz bottle is fine.

mtbr member
    I usually ride in the 1-2hr range and I keep a few tools, cell phone, wallet, car keys in my camelbak. I usually dont bring water though as I drink a very large amount of liquids in the hours prior to a ride (to prevent migraines) but I will have a water bottle waiting for me back at the car.

If I were to go out longer or ride on a particularly hot day things would be a little different. But since I ride in places where Im never more than a few miles from my car I can pack light.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    As you've seen, you'll get answers all over the place.

I'm in the both camp - just depends on the temps, really. Hotter and more humid, or just longer rides = I'm drinking more, so bring the pack. Cooler or shorter rides? Bottle and jersey.

Whatever works.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by sohnice View Post
    I ride alone most of the time, I would put all the item in my camelbak.
    If I'm hurt & stuck in some remote area I will still have my tools & water for self rescue.
    I am with you there...plus I think the pack has saved me from (further) injury a couple of times, kind of like a turtle

Downhill fan
    I spent many years riding with a water bottle on my bike and a small bike bag under the seat. Never again. Learned I don't like the extra weight on my bike because it ruins the "flickability" as already mentioned. I would rather have it in my Camel Back which also protects my back should I take a fall. My Camel Back goes on every ride with me no matter how big or small.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can't stand anything hanging off my bike. Everything goes in the Camelback
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    100% on back regardless of ride duration.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    everything on my back and a bottle on the bike for a sports drink. water gets boring and bottles are easier to clean.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I always take a pack I'm currently using the Fox Oasis and it ALWAYS has a shock pump, air pump, multi tool, energy gels,mini first aid kit, spare tube ( just in case my tubeless fails) and I fill the bladder up depending on the length of the ride. If I'm hydrated pretty well before the ride I carry less fluids and weather always has something to do with it. I agree that the bike may feel lighter but all together you and the bike as a whole will be the same weight. It's better to have more than less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    generally, the tools and spares stay in my pack until its needed.
    water too, for sip and spit general use.
    if the ride gets a bit longer, maybe an extra bottle on the bike for big gulps on rest stops and for dunking in the heat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Definitely a pack on my back. It also serves as a back protector for when I crash and am able to tuck and roll.

Rohloff
    Tools on the bike. Water on the back. Sports drink in the bottle on the longest, hottest rides.

mtbr member
    Putting on my helmet and Camelback is just part of riding the mtb. Never leave the truck without it.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road