Thread: Too slack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Too slack?

I'm currently riding a bike with a 67 head angle and 72 seat angle. I'm thinking of getting some headset cups that will decrease the head angle to 65.5 while steepening the seat angle a hair. Would this be too slack for an all mountain ride? I'm concerned about climbing and getting enough weight on the front during flat cornering. Anyone have any experience with bikes this slack for all around riding?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    My HA is at 66.5, my seat tube angle is at 73, with a 1197 millimeter wheelbase on my Norco Range 3, 2011 year. I don't experience any problems riding around a lot. I damned nearly caught up to some people on full XC bikes and I was stopped at the trail head for at least five minutes. I took a different turn at one point, but when they had at least a hundred yard gain on their bikes I figured I was doing alright with my geometry. It is technically in there "all mountain-freeride lite" category. It handles the trails beautifully. There is one extremely loose-it's literally like riding through 3 inches of dust- turn that gets me a lot on a climb that I put my foot down on from time to time. There are a few trails around where I live that have rather flat sharp turns on the downhill sections. They are set up that way as the trails are frequented by horses and hikers and it is built to help accommodate their own needs as (by keeping bikes moving a little bit slower.) Plus any attempt at a berm on some of these trails wouldn't work out because every day of maintenance would probably be put into fixing blown out berms. As a result, I've gotten used to riding sharp flat turns rather decently. It isn't too hard of a process on my bike at all and I don't have any real handling issues. I'd say that at 160mm of travel, my bike handles very well climbing and coming down. It's no 29er built for hauling up hills-but it's my bike and I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think it really depends on your trails. You should be able to feel how your bike handles the trails and whether it needs to be slacker or not. Are you feeling unstable at really high speeds? Too far forward on steep downhills? How does it climb and are you willing to give up a little bit of climbing ability for what you perceive is going to make the bike better?

What works really well for North Shore Vancouver would almost definitely be "too slack" for the technical trails around here in Toronto. match your bike to your trails and you'll probably have the best results

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    My Remedy sat in around 66* when I had my 36 at 160 on it and I never had too much of a problem with it. I just threw on a 2011 Revelation XX at 150 and the only difference I really note in climbing is that the Revelation has better small-bump compliance. I never really had any problem with it slacked out.

One thing about not weighting your front end enough on corners is that you learn your lesson pretty quickly, and will adjust accordingly. In all reality if you get the angleset and you have some steep climbs, you'll just adjust, suck it up, and then have a bigger, sillier grin when you're ripping down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
    I think it really depends on your trails.
    ^this. if you like to ride alot of fast, wide open, and steep trials it will be great. if you like very twisty trails where you have to slow down alot to get around trees and stuff maybe not.

i basically did the same thing to my bike youre talking about and i love it. although for me, there was an added change of going from an external HS to internal, so that intensified the low and slack feel of the new setup. i found it actually helps on climbs since my seat is more forward. even when im standing and mashing out of the saddle i feel like it helps me to not lose traction since my front wheel is further out there is still plenty of weight on my rear when im mashing and leaning forward