mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Too many tubeless tires to choose from...Ignitor, Weirwolf, Captain, Nevegal...

So I am getting real itchy for spring to come and will need a new tire-set. I started doing research and have gone through a lot of threads and reviews and just can't make up my mind, so I figured I'd see where public opinion leads me.

For the last 9 months I have been running a 2.35" Maxxis Ignitor UST tire on the Prophet and it has absolutely amazed me at times. Most of my riding is in New England, which is inherently wet, rooty and rocky, but these tires have stuck turns and climbed roots when I really figured I'd be eating dirtt. I even took the Prophet downhilling one day and at ~28psi only burped 3-4 times doing 5-6 drops. So they have impressed me, but I am tired of feeling super slow on buff single track...yeah they hook up well in the wet, but wow, they always take a bit of effort to turn.

On my old Jekyll I had 2.35" Nevegals, and they just seemed to pack up with mud too easy...and once packed it was horribly slick. The Nev was also a bit heavy to pedal, but I am open to trying the UST version and would hope to have better luck.

I would like a UST tire for the puncture resistance piece-of-mind even though I run a scoop of Stan's just in case. I like high volume, wide tires for there handling characteristics so would really like something that really measures no less than ~2.1".

Key things that I am looking for (in order of importance): Reliability (good sidewalls & puncture resistance), Traction (especially wet/rooty stuff), Cornering stability, low(er) rolling resistance, good wear characteristics.

The tires that I am considering so far are the Maxxis Ignitor UST(again), WTB Weirwolf, Specialized Captain Armadillo Elite 2Bliss, Kenda Nevegal UST and the Maxxis Ardent.

Sorry for the long post, but the more of these you have tried and can compare for me the easier it will make my choice. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone tried these?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I have friends that swear by the Nevgals, but if you're worried by mud the Continental Mountain Kings shed mud pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just wondering what part of the country your from Cup...seems like the Nev's get great reviews from people in the SW, and mixed reviews from the NE.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am running Nevegal 2.35 UST in Japan. Probably the muddiest and slickest soil that I have ever encountered. Says a lot as I am from the NW. I have lived and ridden in the NE and SW also.

The Nevegals are way overkill for the SW and OK for the NE. I have read some pretty good reviews on the Nobby Nicks but I am having a hard time justifying $150 for a set of tires.

I ran the Nev's in the NE for a few months then shifted to Maxxis High rollers due to the Nev thin sidewalls (non ust). After a couple of months, I went back to a 2.1 Nev UST.

The Nev 2.35 USTs are pretty heavy but seem to do OK. I will say since I have swapped to the UST version, I have not had a flat. The only reason to replace them is that the tires have worn out.

What rims are you running?
    Last edited by SEA_MTBR; 02-14-2009 at 12:45 AM.

knock-knock...
    I run the weirwolfs, and they are a very nice cornering tire. get a little sloppy in loose gravel/sandish stuff, but they are by far the best cornering tire ive ever ridden. They are a nice volume too. But, I also have never ridden any of the other tires mentioned, so take that into consideration.
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    -Sea, I am running Stans Flow rims so tubeless should be pretty easy with them. I had the regular Nev's on the Jekyll and only ran them for about a month before I sold the bike...unfortunately they seemed to fill up real fast, but when they were clear I'd agree they were pretty good all around. I was running a regular tube setup with ~35psi...now that I run tubeless I usually am aroun 27-28, do you find the UST Nev to be better for clearing out compared to the non-UST...or do you find a certain pressure particularly good for traction, cleaning, and stability?

Do you know what the 2.1UST measured out to width wise....or did you think the 2.35 was worth the weight penalty?

I'm with you on the Nick's...It is hard enough for me to choke down $90 for bike tires as it is.

-Skott, just wondering where abouts your riding is because certain tires and layouts seem to work so good in certain regions, I just want to make sure your riding comparable terrain.

Thanks for the input guys, luckily I have a little bit of time before I have to choose...In the mean time I want to get as much info as possible.

mtbr member
    Weirwolfs become slicks in the mud. Awesome tire in the dry dusty summer though.

hithard
    I run 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers 70a UST. That harder compound of the 70a compared to the Super Tacky is much better for rolling.

mtbr member
    Have a look at the new Schwalbe Albert USTs.
    I know, the Schwalbes are expensive, but in my oppinion they are well worth it.
    They have A LOT less rolling resistance and more grip than most other brands.
    Their rubber compounds are hightech, therefore they are expensive.
    But compared to a Kenda or a Specialized (also made at Kenda, I think) they are worth the upcharge.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I run Nevegals 2.35 and 2.1 UST frequently. They wear fast! They roll much better than the Maxis High Rollers that came on my bike (Prophet also). Now, I'm on Racing Ralphs 2.1 UST. Boy are they light - you can feel it. But not in the same league for traction as either of the nevegals.

Its got what plants crave
    My favorite tire for actually pedaling was the 2.35 High Roller front and Ignitor 2.35 rear. Both tires run small in my opinion, but traction was good and they weren't super heavy and rolled alright.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BBlazerSK5
    Just wondering what part of the country your from Cup...seems like the Nev's get great reviews from people in the SW, and mixed reviews from the NE.
    I'm in the mid Atlantic. The conditions range from muddy roots to dry flats and rocks.

Cannondale Snob
    I've found the Weirwolfs (26x2.1) to be as good in the mud as any other non-mud tire. I ride in FL, which has plenty of sand, mud, clay, etc. The most astonishing feature of these tires is their "two-stage" washout. That is to say, if they start to washout, they maintain enough traction to recover. It still takes a lot to get them to even start washing out!

I run mine at 40psi front and rear and ride "aggressive XC", which is to say fast AM! With Stans in them, I've had no puncture problems. I messed up a landing hard enough to peel the bead off the rim, and did no damage to the sidewalls.

I haven't ridden the other tires on your list, but would bet you won't go wrong choosing a Weirwolf.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm gonna vote for the Conti. Mt. Kings. Good all around tire and handles the wet stuff reliably and predictably, only real weakness is loose over hardpack. When it dries out I have a set of Fat Alberts to run as they are better in the drier looser stuff. If you only want to run one set though the MK's are the way to go.

For reference I ride in s. central pa.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    if you are going to be doing mud, go for the Hutchinson Toro 2.35 UST

Designed for mud shedding, and with great grip as well as easy rolling.

I have not used them, but I used to be a Kenda Nevegal fanatic...until I Tried Hutchinson's Barracura 2.35 UST...and now I won't use kenda nevegals even if they were free....that's how much better the barracuda's are.

anyway, I'm assuming the Toro's, being '09 model, will also give you a great experience. they won't burp. Here is the site:
    http://www.hutchinsontires.com/us/ca...ivers=5&pid=83

Come on, dare me!
    To confuse you a bit more , I live in Montreal and ride pretty much the same trails as you (wet, slippery and snow, these days). On my AM bike (custom Specialized Pitch) I'm using a set of Specialized Eskar Control 2.3 2Bliss, which I found out to be very confidence-inspiring and fitting your description. They're 715 g each but in tubeless mode with a cup or two of Stan's, it's pretty much the equivalent of a 625 g tubed tire, which is pretty competitive for such big meat. I plan on going to a Specialized Purgatory Control 2.2 2Bliss at the rear to gain a little rotating mass (652 g ---> saving 75 g); that latest tire may also be of interest for you.