mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Too many miles on a demo?

Considering a purchase from a demo fleet
    Always bought new and in person. This is online and it was from a demo fleet of a reputable shop.
    500 miles on a high end carbon enduro bike
    Stay away or go for it?
    I know it's an impossible question but what do u guys think of the miles on a carbon frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would ask for a year of warranty or more if available. Maybe you can be the first owner. I don't think the miles are a test as much as the crashes. A good shop has to keep the bikes clean and they'll get better maintenance than my bike because I know how long something can go with only one rider.
    A close-up video on someone's phone of the frame on both sides and bottom would help too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kotajack View Post
    Always bought new and in person. This is online and it was from a demo fleet of a reputable shop.
    Stay away or go for it?
    I know it's an impossible question but what do u guys think of the miles on a carbon frame

Demo bikes to me, are like rental cars. People have no regard for either one since it's not their's. 500 miles on a carbon enduro bike, is no bueno for me.
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought a carbon demo bike. It was crashed at least once and has a chip in the top tube paint.

It had been serviced recently before I got it- I think most places wouldn't want a demo bike to fall apart, it's bad business.

I had to do a check over- tighten bolts etc to make sure all was in order with the rear suspension.

Other than that it's been trouble free for a few thousand miles.

Mine is a FS XC bike.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I bought a demo bike (not carbon) but the selling point was that it included mfg warranty, as if I were the first owner. Not all companies do this with demo bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is hard to comment on a specific bike without knowing details.

In general, you should get the MFG warranty. If they donít provide that then likely it has been totally trashed, and depending on year you should consider for at most for 50% msrp.

Personally, i would only consider a demo that has been taken care of and with the full warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Only if it comes with the warranty of a first owner, worst case you get a new frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Run away as fast as you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ok so no warranty from the mfg
    only from the shop so its a no go for me
    thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    id only buy new, with lifetime frame warranty

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    so much depends on where. If you buy a demo from say, Deer Valley, that bike has been run through the ringer, abused, often on trails over it's design limits, etc, despite good care. If you buy a demo from Snowbird, the bike is virtually new and has barely been used (season is only 6 weeks long, and the tourists using the bikes rarely take more than 1 run)

Depends on where, and who's using it.

mtbr member
    I bought a demo Jamis Renegade and it came with full factory warranty. I looked at a Specialized Stumpie and it would have came with a factory warranty. And I also checked out a Cannondale Beast of the East...shop had a bunch as rental fleet and was selling them off at the end of the season...since they weren't technically "owned" by a person...factory warranty.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Used Carbon stress duration. PASS!!!

because GIANT
    because carbon can crack internally with zero external signs, and this was a demo (any random clown could have geetered it) full frame replacement warranty, or pass
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    No way would I buy a carbon bike without a frame warranty. Did y'all see this?

Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    So much skepticism.
    500 miles is 1.5-2 months riding in peak season for many of us.
    If the price is right, go for it.
    I've got carbon bikes with thousands of miles of DH and bike park riding and big chips/skratches on the frames. Bikes still ride perfectly.
    Unless there has been a massive crash or impact, the frame is the least of your worries on a used or demo bike.
    Drivetrain wear, tire tread, brake pads, suspension pivots, fork + shock servicice are all greater concerns for intiial cash outlay in my opinion.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    How do you know somebody didn't drive 30 miles to the trailhead while the exhaust pipe heated up the frame? Maybe they hit a boulder head on, stressed the head tube but you cannot see it. How do you know that somebody did not over torque a pivot bolt because they dont know what they are doing? Maybe somebody was too tall for the test bike, and had seat post overextended, sressing the seat tube, which cracks on many frames (sometimes just cracks the finish). I dont think these scenarios are very likely, but people are nuts!

mtbr member
    Depends on the price. 40 to 50% off retail? go for it. If it comes with a warranty all the better.

I'm a second hand buyer tho. I buy high end second hand a couple of years old because I cant afford that same fruit level new. I've been doing this since 2000. Out of the 10 bikes i've bought in that time 2 have been worse than expected. The rest all good.

Ex demo should be way better than second hand stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    No way would I buy a carbon bike without a frame warranty. Did y'all see this?

Whats a guy breaking a handlebar got to do with anything?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Whats a guy breaking a handlebar got to do with anything?
    I guess you didn't watch the video. He didn't break just the handlebar he broke the frame. If you don't want to watch all the video skip to about the 6:40 mark. The bike was a rental. The thing with rentals or demos is you don't know how the bike was ridden by others therefore you don't know what you are getting. No warranty then you are out of luck if the bike breaks on you.
    This is more than a broken handlebar.

Too many miles on a demo?-broken-frame.jpg
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    buying an ex rental bike from Moab is a bad move IMO. Moab kills bikes fast.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I would never ever ever ever buy any of the bikes we demoed in Moab. 1 season is like 20 years of normal abuse. 3 bent hangers and 5 good crashes in 4 days out of our group.
    Some of the Downieville bike demos sold last year only had 3 or 4 rides on them. Killer deals on bikes that looked new.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

CEO Product Failure
    Bikes don't have odometers, so take the stated mileage with a grain of salt.

I 100% agree with everyone statements regarding buying a used bike from shop in ANY resort town (Moab, Winterpark, Downieville, Whistler, etc.). However, I personally know three people in my neck of the woods (IL) who bought used bikes from OverTheEdge in Fruita and have had zero issues.

If its a demo bike from a LBS not in a resort town, different story. Those are great deals. Even better if its YOUR LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I bought a demo downhill bike from a reputable bike park. It had one season on it and was in perfect mechanical shape when I got it. It served me very well for 2 seasons before I sold it for almost what I paid for it.

Benefit of a demo bike is after it is used a mechanic goes through it to make sure it works perfectly for the next guy. Also, 500 miles is not a lot for a bike. I would ask the shop for some sort of warranty though.

A demo bike is 100x a better buying move than a used bike off some schlub on Craigslist.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kotajack View Post
    Stay away or go for it?
    People treat demo bikes like $hit so there is no telling what's wrong with it. Unless the price was so low you could deal with several issues and still feel good I would skip it without a test ride/inspection.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

EDR
    Demo bike from Michigan or Indiana/Nebraska, maybe, just maybe. Demo bike from Moab or the likes, no way. For reasons already stated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    No demo, no way. Ime thereís some built in negotiation on new stuff. Ibis Ripmo? Prolly not. But an existing model, yes. Or I walk. People donít ask, and bike shops donít tell. If yr buying a demo, yr looking at a bike thatís last years model. Sometimes picking a number and throwing it out there works.