Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2

    Titus El Guapo 2009 w/ RP23 HV Boostvalve or Ellsworth Moment 2007 w/ DHX 5 Air

    Wanted to build up a 6-inch full suser but dont know what frame to choose.
    Geometry:
    El Guapo Geometry



    Ellsworth Moment Geometry


    comparing the Small size geometry for both the El Guapo and the Moment Frames, I say they are both almost the same except for the slightly higher standover height of the El Guapo. But the Moment have a very slightly higher BB height.

  2. #2
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,203
    The El Guapo is $1499 @ Jensonusa, nothing but rave reviews. I would SNATCH one up, and never look back.

    What prices are you getting on the Ells? If you are paying retail. I would add a few more bikes to your list. If you are going to drop $2k on a frame, I would consider Pivot, Yeti, Ibis, Turner, Banshee, Transition, Santa Cruz, and a few more.
    beaver hunt

  3. #3
    bust a move
    Reputation: 2ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,675
    +1 for the EG = awesome bike

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    The El Guapo is $1499 @ Jensonusa, nothing but rave reviews. I would SNATCH one up, and never look back.

    What prices are you getting on the Ells? If you are paying retail. I would add a few more bikes to your list. If you are going to drop $2k on a frame, I would consider Pivot, Yeti, Ibis, Turner, Banshee, Transition, Santa Cruz, and a few more.
    The Moment frame will cost around $1.1K second hand but in mint condition, the El Guapo 2009 is less than $900 brand new...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anvil_den's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    940
    The Moment's longer toptube is compensated by the slightly steeper STA.
    In the S and M size hardly much diff. Slight diff in top tube clearance wont be significant My hunch is that the EG probably will rail better while the Moment could be just a tad better at climbing.

    But the XL moment --either there are typo errors or something is just not right with those numbers....69 HA and the even steeper STA relative to the HA.... kinda more like a long legged XC than AM bike imo

    However both the shocks that comes with the respective frame...I'm not so sure if they really are the best options.

  6. #6
    bikeboatbrewski
    Reputation: scottybinwv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,383
    You do know that as a company Titus is no longer valid. I had seriously looked at the El Gupoo when I was bike shopping earlier this year.

  7. #7
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv
    You do know that as a company Titus is no longer valid. I had seriously looked at the El Gupoo when I was bike shopping earlier this year.

    Do you know, On One bought Titus? Titus lives on.
    beaver hunt

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,900
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv
    You do know that as a company Titus is no longer valid. I had seriously looked at the El Gupoo when I was bike shopping earlier this year.
    Incorrect. Titus was just bought by On One. Go to the Titus forum and do some reading.

    OP, I'd rock the EG over the ells....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,376
    Seriously look at the El Guapo, for $900 it's a steal, just be aware that in the immediate term support for Titus is patchy, but will improve in the coming months.

    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv
    You do know that as a company Titus is no longer valid. I had seriously looked at the El Gupoo when I was bike shopping earlier this year.
    Planet X/On One bought up Titus as a whole company.

    They've already commited to honouring warranties on current frames so that won't be an issue, they intend to continue Titus as a stand alone brand. They also bought up the current stock of unsold fames/parts.

    One proviso to that is that in On One's own words Titus is in a mess. All things Titus will be up in the air for a few months while On One re-inventory the stock, pay supplier's bills, contact distributors etc but after that they intend to get it back in business.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 12-08-2010 at 01:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Infidel
    Reputation: KYMtnBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    412
    The HTA on either of those bike is too steep IMO. The best deal I've seen lately is on a 2010 Knolly Endorphin for just $1499. My guess is that they are going to add a tapered headtube as well as ISCG 05 tabs for the next model year. So, this frame would not be Hammerschmidt compatible and you would have limited fork options. If you could live without these features it's an awesome frame. I've always lusted over Knolly bikes but they're sooooo pricey. If it's available come spring, I might just pull the trigger.
    http://www.calgarycycleonline.com/pr...cat=812&page=1

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,900
    Quote Originally Posted by KYMtnBkr
    The HTA on either of those bike is too steep IMO. The best deal I've seen lately is on a 2010 Knolly Endorphin for just $1499. My guess is that they are going to add a tapered headtube as well as ISCG 05 tabs for the next model year. So, this frame would not be Hammerschmidt compatible and you would have limited fork options. If you could live without these features it's an awesome frame. I've always lusted over Knolly bikes but they're sooooo pricey. If it's available come spring, I might just pull the trigger.
    http://www.calgarycycleonline.com/pr...cat=812&page=1
    The endorphin will be replaced with the Endorphin SL and Chilcotin. See the Knolly site. HS drivetrain is subjective to personal preference, and suspension design (some designs don't lend themselves well to the chain tug of the small ring). I know someone selling his HS setup because the drag in overdrive is just too much. Limited fork options? Just run the standard 1 1/8, like 75% of the frames on the market do.

    68* HA on the Titus isn't too steep (although I prefer the 67* on my Ventana), plus you can run angleset on the titus and slack it out...1.5*+. That would still be oodles cheaper than the 1500 endo.

  12. #12
    bikeboatbrewski
    Reputation: scottybinwv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Do you know, On One bought Titus?
    Thank you for making my point for me.

  13. #13
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    EG all the way!!!

  14. #14
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,871
    The OP should clarify what type of riding he does. I ride an EG. Guy I've ridden with a bunch has the Els. Both are solid. If you're locked into one of the two I'd take the Titus.

  15. #15
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,928
    the guap. fo sho.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •