Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Tires, Tires and more Tires

I am having trouble chossing a tire.
    Has anyone ridden the Kenda Kinetics Stick-E K Tire. I was thinking of getting the 2.35 for front and rear, I ride on some really jagged rocks here in Vegas and wanted to see if any one has more options for a 2.35 tire in the 700-900 range. My bike is a tank already so I thought if I can save a couple pounds that would help.

Motion activated
    FWIW the Kinetic 2.35 runs small compared to other Kenda tires. It's more like a 2.1 Nev.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

sugoi chairinko
    Steve's right, the Kinetics do run small. I switched from those to WTB Mutano's in the 2.24, and have loved how they perform. I don't recall the weight, seems like 700 and change, so they are reasonable. I live in SLC, conditions not too different than where you're located.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would suggest maxxis minion dhf front and rear in the 2.35 folding size. Not sure of the weight but they aren't too bad. I ride really rocky stuff here in CO and I don't get any sidewall tears with them.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

never ender
    I'm stoked on Specialized tires these days...been running a Resolution 2.3 in the rear and switching between another Resolution and an Enduro 2.4 up front depending on terrain. The Enduro would make a good rear tire too, slower than the Reso but more braking and cornering bite. The Reso is better for more rock/hardpack surfaces and rolls like crazy, the Enduro is a little squirrely on hardpack but hooks up better in summer dust. You can't go wrong with the Resolution, at least on dry terrain. I'm planning on buying another round when my current ones wear out, and this is the first tire I've found in years that I can say that about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    +1 on the Specialized tires.

I was running Kinetic 2.2 tubeless tires front & rear on my Giant Reign.
    I killed the front one on a rock and replaced it with a Spec. Enduro 2.4 tubeless- wow - this tire ROCKS! - on the rocks... ...and everywhere else - traction out the wazoo.

The rear Kinetic is all but completely worn out, and I need to replace it with something in a 2.3 tubeless. I have another Enduro 2.4, but would like to run something a little smaller on the rear wheel.

To the OP: definitely check out the Specialized line of tires.

ride hard take risks
    Dont go Stick-E you will shred it especially in the rear.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the input guys, I hate it when tires run different than what you think. I bought a 2.25 and it was larger than my 2.35 I was running. I am going to look into the WTB tires aswell I guess.

I did really like the specialized I was running on my old stumpy but I could not find a replacement for it anywhere, where can I get specialized tires?

Why do people ride big up front now?
    I remember BMXers doing it for berms on tracks and loose turns but on my hard tail I feel like I need the extra tire in the rear as well as my front.

Former Bike Wrench
    I second that on the Stick-E in Vegas...you'll kill it quick!!!

I used to live in Vegas during my UNLV days and the XC tire that rocked there was the Panaracer Fire

Performance sells a 2.3" version of this tire that is a claimed 785 grams
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

I also like the Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3" for loose and rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Mtnbiker, I am going to have to look at performance

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    I did really like the specialized I was running on my old stumpy but I could not find a replacement for it anywhere, where can I get specialized tires?

Why do people ride big up front now?
    You can order tires direct from Specialized on their website, web-store or have your local dealer order in the "good-stuff"

I run a wider front tire, because my bike has somewhat slack geometry, and I need to slightly weigh the front end in corners - the wider tire helps dig in. It also floats over rocks better. You can get away with a smaller tire out back, because generally there is more weight over the rear, and a smaller tire weighs less, and should, in theory at least, roll faster.

I am a fan of the 2.35 Highroller single ply folding bead in the 60a compound.
    It holds corners aggressively on the front and back and rolls well. It comes in on the low 800s.

Also the Intense Edge single ply 2.35 tires looks very good too. It has ramped edges like the high roller, but with more transition knobs. It looks like it could really bite into the ground.. and is wider than the HRs.
    I think these will be the tires I try next for the front of my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have been using Schwalbe Fat Albert (2.35") front and rear on XM819 using Stan's. Very satisfied with the behavior of the front one irregardless of the conditons, dry in Moab, dirt in Fruita or muddy and wet in the Northeast. However, I am less pleased with the one in the back. So far it seems to be less predictable than my previous Panaracer XC Pro when going over wet roots. I know those are always slippery but the Fat Albert seems to completely throw me off track while I seem to remember that the XC Pro would somewhat keep a bit straighter. Maybe I need to get used to that tire but I am considering switching back.

Eyes of the world
    I absolutely love my fat alberts in the 2.35. Float great over sand and help up really well on the rocks I rode in phoenix. They are seeming to wear really well too.
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

squish is good
    Mutanoraptors! Thats what you want! They roll super fast and hook up great in dry, dusty, loamy conditions but work awesome on slickrock and hardpack as well. Not good in wet conditions but for Nevada I'd say they would be great. I ran them front and rear last year but went to a Nevegal on the front this year as I have to deal with wet rocks and roots on occasion and the Mutanos don't like them very much. The 2.4 is just a smidge narrower than a 2.35 nevegal, like 1mm or so, almost nothing. Their pretty light if I recall, I can't remember a number, but I can say I swapped a 2.1 folding Nevegal in the rear for the 2.4 folding Mutano and it pedaled soooo much better, like night and day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Panaracer Rampage or Kenda Nevegals DTC are my personal favourites.

mtbr member
    at the moment - Fat Albert 2.35.
    +/- 750 grm
    In hard pack - Good (4)
    Rocky trails - Good (4)
    Loose stuff over hardpack - (3)
    Soft terrain - (4)
    Rocks+rain - (1)

If it`s dry, for the price I think it`s a good alternative.

But you may want to visit Continental Web site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Michelin

What about the Michelin tires, anyone ride them. They look like a pretty stout tire.

mtbr member
    How do the WTB tires hold up? They seem crazy light! Are the weights listed on the website actual? The 2.5's are especially attractive for a light front tire.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

squish is good
    Theyre constructed with very minimalist sidewalls so they aren't super durable. I was running my Mutanos last season with tubes and noticed a couple nasty abrasions on the sidewalls but wasn't too worried about it. Went with stans this year and when I was trying to get them to inflate the sidewalls split at every spot there was an abrasion, that tire looked like swiss cheese! So far I'm running the other one from last year and it's fine with a tube in it. The trails in my area range from loose and dusty to exposed granite, schist, and basalt. It can get jagged in spots but the tires are holding up well for how light they are, no problems with splitting so far but I'm running the pressure pretty low, around 28-30 psi.

mtbr member
    I had been running a Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 as a front tire, it finally wore out so I switched to a Maxxis Advantage 2.4. Size wise they are about the same, so far I really like the Maxxis. My trails are usually hard pack or loose over hard pack with plenty of rocks and rubble. The Advantage seems to hook up well. It is heavier than the Kenda at about 840 grams but I honestly can't say I notice it when riding. You can get the Advantage for $30 which is also nice.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Maxxis Advantages are very good tires, but aren't durable enough as a rear tire in very rocky terrain. They are also very tall, taller than my 2.7 Maxxis dhf/highroller dh tires... and won't fit on many bikes. They are so far my favorite front tire for trail riding.

I agree the 2.35 Maxxis 60a Minion or Highroller is a great rear tire and holds up really well.

I also like Schwalbe Nobby Nic as a front tire a lot... Mutanos trade performance and durability for light weight and very low rolling resistance, they would be good for epics in non-technical, dry terrain. They work well in sand and dust. I hate Kenda tires, the bg/nev combo I tried were some of the worst tires EVER in all ways.

I want to try Schwalbe Big Bettys and Rampages sometime...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    How do the WTB tires hold up? They seem crazy light! Are the weights listed on the website actual? The 2.5's are especially attractive for a light front tire.
    Actually, I've had good luck with the 2.4s. They are by far the lightest high-volume tires I can find. I ride a variety of dry terrain, including lots of rocky terrain. I've been riding the Mutanos for a few years now, and they hold up well. But there is a trade-off; they have fairly flimsy sidewalls to save weight. I did rip a sidewall on a razor sharp rock shortly after converting to Stan's (had to patch from the inside, too big for Stan's to seal). It might have ripped on any tire, but probably was because of the thin sidewalls. Still, after countly miles pounding down ragged trails, it's a small price to pay and a trade-off I gladly make.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    I mostly want to subscribe to this thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Kenda Nevegals 2.1, came with the new bike, took a couple rides to break in and grip, but they are pretty good in loose rocky hard pack , ok in sand - not the best. first flat on ride #3 from a thorn - went with some racing kevlar tire liners - so far so good, from performance - not cheap, but light insurance

on my old school bike, rigid, i ran panaracer smoke/dart combo - good grip, very rare flats.
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Maxxis Advantages are very good tires, but aren't durable enough as a rear tire in very rocky terrain. They are also very tall, taller than my 2.7 Maxxis dhf/highroller dh tires... and won't fit on many bikes. They are so far my favorite front tire for trail riding.
    That's a perfect example that tire choice is sooo personal. I absolutely hated the Advantage up front, really unpredictable in corners. I've now put it on the rear of my hardtail, and it's perfect - really cushy and nice traction. Up front I loved the 2.35 Nevegal I've had before, and now I run a 2.5 Maxxis Minion single-ply - way better than the Advantage up front!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast