Thread: Tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Tires

Looking for a good all around tire.

I'm with stupid
    Trail king, hans dampf,nobby nic, minion dhf exo, ADvantage, highroller......take your pick.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For the front. Hans Damph, nobby nic have worked well for me.

the back, the nobby nic is too pricey for something that wears so fast. The mountain king or Spec Purgatory 2.2 work well for me here. The Purg 2.2 is $50, a real 2.2, grips well and wears at a decent rate. The problems is Spec stopped making hte 2.2 and only has a 2.3 now.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nevegal. mine are almost bald, and they still havent slipped

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner07 View Post
    Looking for a good all around tire.
    There's a billion threads on this, but it really depends on your riding style and what type of terrain you ride.

I'm yet to find a good tire for clay, but I've found a combo that does well for me in everything except serious clay or mud.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

LCW
    mtbr member
    High Roller LUST
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.3 lbs

reading comprehension wat
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Trail king, hans dampf,nobby nic, minion dhf exo, ADvantage, highroller......take your pick.
    This, except take out the Nobby Nic and ADvantage and add in Specialized Purg and Bonty XR4.

NN and ADv aren't in the same league as the others. I'd be more likely to choose a Muddy Mary over a NN. Even the Fat Albert is kind of sketchy. Also the XC high roller is kind of on the flimsy side, but the LUST (XC) version beefs it up pretty well.

Watch out for the non-German (made in Asia) Continentals. German versions have a checker sidewall, and the Asian ones have a cross hatch sidewall. Of course opt for Black Chili compound. Trail King is virtually identical to the Rubber Queen; probably still called RQ in some countries, where that name isn't so offensive.

The Nevegal is a solid pick, but the ones above out-class it (and cost more). The Nev and Schwalbes tend to wear down fast, espec in the rear.

This is assuming you're riding a beefy 5.5"-6.6" (140-160) bike. I'm on a 5" bike and am running a Bronson AM 2.35 TCS front and Fat Albert 2.3 UST rear, but I ride dry and loose SoCal stuff. I got a Slant Six UST ready for the rear once the Fat Albert wears down. For the rear, I shop bargain bins $25-35, since they last only half as long. For the front, I spend twice as much ($50-70). Bigger bikes might consider sticky 40a compounds for the front. The Bronson AM TCS is really nice for the weight, comparable to a Nevegal, but tougher and without the flimsy feeling. I'd recommend them, but they're not in the same league as the others, IMO; I was spoiled by the 2.4 Trail Kings for all out control and haul-ass through-technical-section capability, but your pay for that control in weight. If I don't find any hot deal on one of the tires above for the front, I'd likely get an XR4 to replace the Bronson.

mtbr member
    As said above Hans Dampf up front and then pick your poison for the rear. Trail/Mountain King, Ardent, etc. I have found the Conti Black Chili compounds to be very durable in the rear.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    This, except take out the Nobby Nic and ADvantage and add in Specialized Purg and Bonty XR4.

NN and ADv aren't in the same league as the others. I'd be more likely to choose a Muddy Mary over a NN. Even the Fat Albert is kind of sketchy. Also the XC high roller is kind of on the flimsy side, but the LUST (XC) version beefs it up pretty well.

Watch out for the non-German (made in Asia) Continentals. German versions have a checker sidewall, and the Asian ones have a cross hatch sidewall. Of course opt for Black Chili compound. Trail King is virtually identical to the Rubber Queen; probably still called RQ in some countries, where that name isn't so offensive.

The Nevegal is a solid pick, but the ones above out-class it (and cost more). The Nev and Schwalbes tend to wear down fast, espec in the rear.

This is assuming you're riding a beefy 5.5"-6.6" (140-160) bike. I'm on a 5" bike and am running a Bronson AM 2.35 TCS front and Fat Albert 2.3 UST rear, but I ride dry and loose SoCal stuff. I got a Slant Six UST ready for the rear once the Fat Albert wears down. For the rear, I shop bargain bins $25-35, since they last only half as long. For the front, I spend twice as much ($50-70). Bigger bikes might consider sticky 40a compounds for the front. The Bronson AM TCS is really nice for the weight, comparable to a Nevegal, but tougher and without the flimsy feeling. I'd recommend them, but they're not in the same league as the others, IMO; I was spoiled by the 2.4 Trail Kings for all out control and haul-ass through-technical-section capability, but your pay for that control in weight. If I don't find any hot deal on one of the tires above for the front, I'd likely get an XR4 to replace the Bronson.
    I disagree with you on the ADvangae, the 2.4 is a beast ( a bit bigger then the minion 2.5) and has amazing corner grip but it is like the high roller you have to lean it to grip it. A very good tire. The NN I agree it is a bit out gunned but lots of folks on here really that tire for 5-6" bikes. Plus alot of tires feel different if you are a aggressive leaner or handle bar turner or which is more important grip/weight/rolling which the OP never stated so list a bunch of well know tires is a good start.

reading comprehension wat
    Well, I could say HR is out of the league too, but the LUST version changed my mind on it, since it addressed the flimsy casing feel and allowed lower pressure, without the pinch flatting. Loved that tire for all around balance between speed, control, braking, cornering, weight, price, longevity, etc. Actually it got worn out faster than other tires, but I think I just rode more with it, since it was so fun to ride on.

I tried ADv up front and didn't like it, since it didn't feel as secure as the many other tires I tried and ended up riding it in the rear and thought it was slow for that purpose. I ran 'em during the cold SoCal months though, and they looked a little aged when I got 'em on clearance from CRC, so my impression of them wasn't the greatest. Was just rubber to burn to me at the time. Remember that I said I got spoiled by Trail King 2.4s. My impression of tires changed after that, including the Bronson AM TCS, which I'm actually happy with, but don't feel like they're in the same league of anything group that lists the Trail King.

Interesting to hear how you think of tire feel. I lean/turn accordingly to how the tire behaves, rather than choose a tire than suits my preferred style. They also affect other things, such as what terrain you look for, how many miles you ride, etc. I know I liked to look for chunk to roll through with Trail Kings and my rides were in the 7-15 mile range with 'em, since they were heavy, while I often did 15-22 miles on the High Rollers, looking for flow and pushing it in high speed loose corners.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What say for tubeless?

Huffy Rider
    Conti trail King Black Chili UST, seal easy, sturdy sidewall for running low pressure, great wear....I could go on

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Conti trail King Black Chili UST, seal easy, sturdy sidewall for running low pressure, great wear....I could go on
    Agreed, I took a set of hans dampfs off to run these this season. 2.4 front and 2.2 rear.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    don't forget about the Kenda Excavators. I have been running them for years and they have been great for me. currently using an Excavator on the front and a Slant Six on the back to get the right feel in the soil out here.

Off the back...
    Rubber Queen 2.4 out back and Ardent 2.4 in front. Durable and predictable.

Rubber Queen is such a great name. :-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anybody use Bontrager FR4? Run tubeless? I've read a few reviews and I was planning on running the tubeless to see for myself before I change them out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes I second that, how are the FR4's?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hans Dampf 2.35
    Trailstar in the front
    Pacestar in the rear

As confidence inspiring as the Kenda Neverolls with out the resistance, works great tubeless.
    The nobby nic's have lower rolling resistance, but not as much grip as the dampfs.

If you want to build strong legs ride on the Kenda's Nevegal Stick-E compound, sticks like crazy, but you pay dearly in rolling resistance.

FYI, most my riding is in Eastern PA