Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tire preferences?

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  hitechredneck 
#1 ·
Hey folks, was just wondering what some of you guys are riding for your tires? Currently I'm using Velociraptor 2.1 tires on my Felt Redemption Team and while I really enjoy the "on rails" cornering and superb traction for the climbs, I'm really not enjoying the rolling resistance so much. I'm looking for something that corners well but also rolls a little easier. I'm considering the WTB Weirwolf 2.3, Maxxis High Roller 2.35 and the Kenda Blue Groove tires.

I ride in S. Florida and it tends to get a little muddy at times out on the trails but I also make regular trips to North Carolina to do some riding in the Pisgah Forrest. I'm kind of leaning towards the Weirwolf 2.3 but am open to suggestions. I'm an aggressive rider and need my tires to be predictable and stable when I'm carving it up and is really the only reason I haven't switched from the Velociraptor tire set. But I feel like sometimes I'm dragging an anchor behind me with them when I accelerate. :madman:

EDIT: the trails down here are a mix of hard pack and medium gravel that when it rains the trails do get muddy.

#2 ·
Unless 2.1 V-rapter really shed mud well I'd swap to something bigger volume for the redemption, 2 guys I know who has redemption put 2.5 tires in the front. Personally I'd go with 2.35" I like Nevegal but it's a bit slower rolling, Slant6 is another good tire. If you want light weight but still grippy then Nobby Nic but it may be too light for that bike.

V-raptor is a bit too hard and too small for me, I had a set and took it off as spares.

#3 ·
I ran the velociraptors f/r then I switched to the kenda excavator out front - works phenomenally in front rarely lose traction out front even in deep mud. OUt back I run the rear v-raptor in the mud season still haven't found something I like in the summer, though I have been running a nevegal in the dryer stuff and works good just rolls slow.

#7 ·
I've found the Kenda excavator 2.35's DTC front and rear work wonders in the grip dept. here on the east coast.. and if you weren't concerned about weight you could slap on a Kenda telonix 2.4 in the front for even more grip when sh*t gets slip.. <--- see what I did there with the rhyming..

Just keep in mind the northeast is primarily rocks.. big ones, small ones, loose ones, sharp ones, round ones, ones that clip your pedal as your fa-reakin' flying down trails.. so the extra volume is necessary.. unless your a fairy of course..:D

Oh and thats a plus one on the hans dampf or whatever the thing does indeed look the bees knees, but you can quite litrally get 2 count 'em 2 excavators for the price of one of dem bad mama jammas.

#8 ·
I went from a 2.35 Nevegal to a 2.24 WTB, back to the Nevegal (WTB was a POS), and then to a Conti Trail King 2.2.

The Nevegals are a ****in dog. I'm keeping them around for riding the lifts at Whistler.

Not looking back from the Conti TK, best tire I've ridden for the combination of rolling resistance and up as well as down hill traction.

This is in the PNW. Your traction requirements may vary.

#9 ·
Can't go wrong with the 2.35 dtc Excavators. A little trust with them goes a long ways and they roll better then Nevegals. Cornering is way more predictable then the Nevs "grip be gone all of a sudden" cornering in sloppy stuff. I used to run it on the rear with a modded 2.4 Telonix up front in the sloppy NE crap. Absolutely the best combo I've ever ridden once I modded the Telonix. I wish they'd make the telonix w/out the ironcap tech so it would be lighter. Sickspeed 16 read my info/review on those tires last year under my old username.

My friends who used to live & ride in florida loved the WW on the front and some conti verticals on the back. Said it was the best do everything combo they found there.

I also like the Spec Purgatory control 2.4(f) / Captain control 2.2(r) but find that the captain tends to slide out easy in sloppy stuff. NOT good on slippery steeps. Love the combo when its dry. I am trying out the Eskar control 2.3's (f&r) this spring and so far they have been great! I have been really impressed for a tire that is supposed to be a drier conditions tire. It clears out very well, hasnt slid out on me and feels very confident through the corners at this point early in spring. We'll see how they do after everything thaws out and gets a bit softer. They dont seem to be the fastest rollers but I didnt expect them to be eeither.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input guys :) As for weight, I really don't care that much about it. My bike already weighs 34lbs so another few ounces here and there isn't going to make or brake me.

I was looking at the Kenda Excavators and they don't like they would roll any better than the Velociraptors I already have. It looks like it has tall wide spaced knobs just like the rear Velociraptor.

But I can get them cheap a local bike shop has them for $20 each, if they do corner well and roll good, I'd give them a shot.

Opinions?

EDIT: More opinions from riders who ride in the sloppy stuff too are welcome. It's getting into the rainy season here and the trails will be a mud fest very soon.

#15 ·
Minion DHF front / High Roller rear. Amazingly versatile setup.
Ive used both 2.5s and 2.35 front (currently on the 2.35) Have to say the 2.35 are a little thin but theyve still got plenty of traction in a variety of terrain. the 2.35 high rollers seem to be wider.. By far faster rolling than my IRC Trailbear 2.5/ V Claw 2.5 combo i use during the rainy season, apart from rolling resistance amazing tires, theyre indestructible!

#17 ·
Well, as per some recommendations here I just got a set of the Kenda Excavators. I picked up a 2.35 folding bead set that the LBS had on sale. $45 out the door for a set of tires is pretty good. Now hopefully they'll do what I want them to. I'll post back after the weekend to let you all know :)

#18 ·
Well, I'm 3 hours late, but with lots of Florida riding under my belt and now living in NC I think a tire that would give the best results in both terrain would be Conti's Verticals.

It rolls well over the sand and roots of Florida with the 2.3 volume and yet works well over the clay, rocks and roots of WNC. Fairly light too at 735g.

I do have some Ardents on hand for when the terrain is really rough and just need lots of volume.

Lule

#19 ·
mimi1885 said:
Boy, I feel lucky that I usually don't have to deal with wet muddy conditions. That's another can of worm altogether.:)
You are lucky. Riding in mud just slows you down and sucks your energy and no tire works as good as riding on dry trails.

I'm from the Northeast and ride only dry trails. It doesn't really hamper my ride time as I'm near two trail systems that are sandy and can be ridden within a few hours after heavy rains. Although the most fun trails are rocky and rooty stuff that takes two weeks to dry out after a rain.

Mud riding is no fun - unless you like to go slow and/or fall alot.;)

#20 ·
If mud is the issue, I would suggest the "Intense Intruder". It gets pretty muddy here in New England and these are the best mud tire I have ever used and they re not bad at all when the conditions dry out.
Although they come in larger sizes as well, 2.35 are sufficient.
The "FRO" model has a 4-ply casing. So it may be heavy for All-mountain. (It came 1115 gr on my scale) The "FRO Lite" model with 2-ply casing drops to somewhere between 800 and 900 gr. You can find them around 20 bucks online easily.

#21 ·
Mr. Lynch said:
I went from 2.35 Nevegals to a tubeless setup with 2.3 Specialized Clutch front/2.2 Purgatory rear. Traction seems to be just as good if not better and they roll much faster.
i'm running this same setup (2bliss versions) on my trail bike and love it. the clutch corners great and the purgatory rolls awesome with good braking. get them setup with the right psi for your weight they offer a very supple and controlled ride.

#22 ·
[QUOTE='size]i'm running this same setup (2bliss versions) on my trail bike and love it. the clutch corners great and the purgatory rolls awesome with good braking. get them setup with the right psi for your weight they offer a very supple and controlled ride.[/QUOTE]
I also have run this set up and liked it as well. Im running the 2.4 maxxis advantage front nd rear now and LOVE it for the dry stuff we have. Does not help that im using it on the same trails that AD did all the testing and riding on in Colorado springs.:thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.