Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tips for staying on your pedals?

Can anyone give me some tips or a tutorial on how to stay on my pedals and not fall off when hucking it off a jump,going down stairs, and just overall tips for staying on my pedals. DON'T TELL ME TO BUY CLIP-LESS PEDALS. But would clip pedals help?

usually cranky
    superglue works awesome.

seriously though, ive found the biggest thing is just committing. if you hit it unsure about yourself you will bail. nice pedals and shoes never hurt either.

Huckin' trails
    Platform pedals, mostly one with a good amount of pins (like 12 on each side of the pedal) can help you a lot... You can try to keep the crank arms parallel to the ground while pushing on the pedals backward with your foot to kinda stick your shoe into the pins... Try also not to jump with the rear of the bike if you are trying to roll over a big obstacle (a rock, for example), because the bike suspension might send you airborne when decompressing... But I think the best thing to do is really to stick your shoes in the pedal's pins by pushing backward and you should be good... Even me I get butt hurt sometime... But I dunno about clipless... never tried them and not really interested...

I have the DMR V-8 pedals for my trail bike and they grip good... they are $30 for the pair and they are very nice. But they sure is better pedals... it's just my budget.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For me, the trick is to load the bike as you hit the bottom of the jump. Dont huck the bike off the jump, just let the loaded suspension take you over and off the feature.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well seeing as I'm riding on the stock Giant Revel 2 plastic pedals with no pins, pretty much anything should be an upgrade and help me out.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Try lowering your seat also, so you can let the bike rise up with you.
    Otherwise the seat could come up and hit your butt and bounce away from your feet!

Nickel Havr
    Keep your feet on the pedals! Haha...

It's already been stated but I'll back it up....

Get a larger platform with plenty of pins... Also try some skate shoes or a shoe with flat bottoms.

I ride in hiking boots and never had a problem though...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

r29
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    straitline + 5.10 or teva links

Huckin' trails
    Btw, why does pedal that require your shoe to clip in are called clip-LESS ? Just wondering and Google was kinda boring.

Thanks
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat46734 View Post
    DON'T TELL ME TO BUY CLIP-LESS PEDALS. But would clip pedals help?
    ??? Clipless pedals are pedals that you clip in with spd cleats and shoes. It is the same thing.

Unless you mean toe clips?
    Last edited by rufusdesign; 08-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

mtbr member
    I use the Rove by Answer, a bit pricey but I like'em.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Btw, why does pedal that require your shoe to clip in are called clip-LESS ? Just wondering and Google was kinda boring.

Thanks
    Clipped pedals refer to the older style flat pedals with the strap that went around the top of your foot that were called toe clips.

When the SPD pedal came out it was referred to as the clip less pedal as there was no longer a toe clip.

RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

Rookie
    He is riding plastic pedals.....
    If you are on a budget just go to you Sports Challet, LBS, and yes.... Wallmart, and get some 'alloy platform pedals. Nice step up from plastics
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

Thanks
    This is a long running naming pet peeve for many people. Traditionally, there were flat pedals and flat pedals with toe clips (straps). Then came clip-less pedals, which use cleats and specific shoes. Since they didn't have toe clips, they were referred to as clip-less pedals.

For the OP, as others have suggested some nice pedals with lots of pins and some sticky skate shoes will really help.

-RW

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by rufusdesign View Post
    Clipped pedals refer to the older style flat pedals with the strap that went around the top of your foot that were called toe clips.

When the SPD pedal came out it was referred to as the clip less pedal as there was no longer a toe clip.

Hey thanks bud.

One more thing learned in my life

David

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So goto my local lbs and find some cheap ($20) pedals and then is it ok if i rock my tennis shoes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Can anyone give me some tips or a tutorial on how to stay on my pedals and not fall off when hucking it off a jump,going down stairs, and just overall tips for staying on my pedals. DON'T TELL ME TO BUY CLIP-LESS PEDALS. But would clip pedals help?
    Sounds like you just need more seat time. Try working on your bunny hops as much as possible. You'll quickly learn how to keep your feet on the pedals by moving with your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ya a while ago I was trying to bunny hop but I'm not too comfortable with it and I'm only about to hop about two inches half the time. Which technique should I use to bunny hop? (pop up my fork and push back on the pedals to lift up my bike OR pop up my fork and then transfer my weight to the front)

Woods Ready
    Ya a while ago I was trying to bunny hop but I'm not too comfortable with it and I'm only about to hop about two inches half the time. Which technique should I use to bunny hop? (pop up my fork and push back on the pedals to lift up my bike OR pop up my fork and then transfer my weight to the front)
    Load the fork and then pull it up off the ground. Start with your wrists and do the wave all the way down to your ankles Really... rotate your wrists forward as the bars reach their crest and the motion really does flow like "the wave" until the rear wheel is off the ground too.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Mountain Dew.

Swedetarded
    But would clip pedals help?
    Yes.

But I am one of the retards that rides or has ridden clipped in for BMX, XC, road, DH, DH racing, commuting......everything but playtime on the 20" at the skatepark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    mrbigisbudgood you looks a good racer..?
    do you have any awards gain in this field.?
    Many thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd say the problem of the orginal poster is a combination of technique and bad pedals. It's hard to comment on your technique without seeing what you're doing, but a good mantra to follow is heavy feet, light hands (see: leelikesbikes.com). As for pedals, I would get something metal, but they also sell plastic pedals with decent pins (though the plastic pins will wear out faster). Soft-soled shoes are probably also a good idea, as others have mentioned.

mtbr member
    but a good mantra to follow is heavy feet, light hands

THIS.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

I'd rather be riding!
    Go to the beginners corner forum and look for the bunny hop tutorial video at the top of the page. Do what he says and it will help you overall with staying attached to the pedals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast