Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chris Bling

Time for new hike-able clipless biking shoes. Please chime in.

Hey everyone. I know that this has been discussed before several years ago, so I was hoping to get some input with the newer shoes that have come out and what are some good options.

I have always had Shimano brand shoes and have really enjoyed them. I have the style with 2 velcro straps and the ratchet style strap on the top. I love that style of shoe, but would consider others if needed.

They have always served me well, but I wouldn't mind trying something different. I have the itch to start doing a little more alpine riding that requires a little more hike-a-bike to get to those spots than I normally wouldn't spend the extra time hiking. I dont mind hiking in my current shoes, but thought that over longer distances there would be some better options. I am no racer, so a little extra weight is not a big deal.

I do see some possible bikepacking opportunities in my future, so having a stiff yet hike-able shoe is what I am going for.

In-line with this, I am not interested in changing to a platform pedal/shoe combo. I like being attached to my bike (good, bad, or indifferent)

Any input is great and hope we have a good discussion.

Thanks!

Dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    I've always preferred a hiking boot style SPD shoe. For Christmas I received a pair of Shimano SH-MT91 boots. I haven't had much of a chance to use them yet but they seem like they are built pretty solid. I had to get them from Chain Reaction Cycles out of the UK. Shimano also has the SH-MT53. This was my second option. It appears to have more venting than the MT91.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Northwave Drifter is a decent shoe for walking in, has a vibram sole and enough flex in the fore foot to walk comfortably. It's also not to bad on the bike as long as you are using a caged type SPD like the shimano trail pedals as they give it that little bit more support to make the flex a very small issue while riding.

If only NW shoes lasted long enough, have not been overwhelmed in the durability department.

Slower But Faster
    Specialized Taho have served me well over the years.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Just purchased a pair of Lake MX-167. These seem to be the ticket; light, no buckles to get ripped off (have done just that), and with Vibram soles to grip rocks, roots etc. I still don't know why the shoe manufactures still put the death nylon soles on mtb shoes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Second the Tahoes. They have 2 versions, the one that's a bit more $ is what you're after. Little stiffer than the low end model but still capable of walking/hiking in them and vibrum soles.

FKA Malibu412
    Speshy Tahoes. Vibram soles are a big improvement over the older version. Durable and flexible yet stiff enough for regular cageless clipless, at least for me.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    +1 for Shimano SH-MT53

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I got the new Giro Terraduros, and they're pretty baller. I came from the 5.10 Maltese Falcons. I ride in the southwest, and don't think laces are any good for the environment here, as they fill with dust and tear, and wanted to switch to a buckle system.

Definitely a stiff soled shoe, but great hiking traction with Vibram outsole. The tread is tall enough that the cleat does not contact the ground while walking. And they stay put on your foot with a nice range of strap and buckle adjustment.

The consequence of the tall tread is that the lugs may interfere with your pedals. They did with my XTR trails. I had to cut off adjacent lugs to remove the interference. An additional weakness is that I had to move the cleats all the way inboard to avoid rubbing the crank arms on an 168 q-factor crankset.

Otherwise, these are very nice shoes with good protection for toe and heel. Well ventilated. Sizing seems spot on. Generally, I wear a men's 12 or 46, and the 46 was correct. Modest looking in the black, though you could go Ronald McDonald with full red uppers.

mtbr member
    @hmhs: In your opinion do the Giro Terraduros run narrow, normal, or wide?

I'm looking for a similar shoe that's better for the limestone and granite rock features than the Sidis I'm wearing. The Sidis are terrible if one has to dab at an inconvenient time, or any hike-a-bike situations. Unfortunately, I need a wide toebox so many of the shoes don't fit me; I wear a Sidi Dom5 Mega 47. I've put up with the Sidis for years, but for the reasons stated above, am looking for something better in those situations.

Slower But Faster
    @robertj: The Specialized Taho are wide fitting. I don't get on with most euro shoes as they are too narrow fitting for my size.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brent, I'll check them out.

mtbr member
    I like the x-alps shoes from pearl izzumi. I broke my arch in my left foot and the fit my orthotics and are good for hike and bike.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    I don't think think the toe box is very wide, I've got a narrow foot and it fits me like a glove. As stated elsewhere in the thread, I've noticed Specialized shoes to have a big boxy toe area.

mtbr member
    @hmhs: Thanks, that will save me some time.

mtbr member
    Hands down Mavic Screes , I got a pair for winter biking as they are gortex high top with a killer tacky sole. I have put quite few bad weather rides on them and they are awesome. Very good for hike a bike moments.

Trips for Kids Denver
    This Fall I got a pair of Specialized Rime shoes with Vibram sole and BOA closure. I too have had ratchet buckles strip out or get scraped off on rocks. The Rime 's BOA dial is up in front of the shoe an much better protected.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

I'm looking for a similar shoe that's better for the limestone and granite rock features than the Sidis I'm wearing. The Sidis are terrible if one has to dab at an inconvenient time, or any hike-a-bike situations. Unfortunately, I need a wide toebox so many of the shoes don't fit me; I wear a Sidi Dom5 Mega 47. I've put up with the Sidis for years, but for the reasons stated above, am looking for something better in those situations.
    I had the exact same issues as you Vans Warner was perfect solution. Not the stiffest sole but these are my Moab go to.

mtbr member
    @GoBuffs: Thanks, I'll put 'em on the list to check out.

The Lake MX167 looks like it has a wide option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=robertj;10989456]Thanks Brent, I'll check
    I have wide feet besides the Vans I wear Giro Privateer. They come in the2 widths with the wide being significantly wider than Sidis

mtbr member
    May 2012

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by morepower View Post
    Where did you purchase your Suplest shoes through? Those look very nice
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I got mine through Evans Cycles... I think they have almost sold out of the 2013 stock and will be getting the 2014 range in soon....

You could message them through Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/suplest

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=GoBuffs;10990334]
    Thanks Brent, I'll check
    I have wide feet besides the Vans I wear Giro Privateer. They come in the2 widths with the wide being significantly wider than Sidis
    Nice, I'll have to try on a pair.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    +1 for Shimano SH-MT53
    Care to elaborate on that a bit? Can't find a whole lot of info out there on the mt53 other than customer reviews.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast