mtbr member

Time for a new Bike! Want geometry like Trek Fuel...

Hello all!

I'm greatful that I finally jumped on a bike forum (and posted not to mention). You all have a lot of knowledge here...

So...I used to ride quite often in college when I was closer to mountain trails, but not so much at the present time. I went yesterday to Palo Duro Canyon for my first technical ride in about 4 years. I was instantly reminded of how much I used to love to hit the trails and I'm back in full force. Now, about a new bike...

I have been riding a 2001 Trek Fuel 80 for about 3 years now, and I really love it. Aside from the creaky frame/components, I have no complaints about it. I love the suspension layout of the fuel and would like to get something different than a Trek with the same type of suspension geometry. I'm not sure what you call the specific type of geometry, but the the way the swing arm and rear shock are situated, I feel the "bend" offers the best movement for jumping the bike easily off the ground. Granted it's the first Full Suspension bike I have ever owned, so maybe I'm missing something and would also be open to others ideas.

Here are my currents conditions for the new bike:

-extremely reliable; least maintenance required. Quieter the better too...ha ha ha
    -good all around rider, that will take the pounding of the rocky trails.
    -geometry similar to Trek Fuel (open to others' ideas that meet my functional requirements)
    -price range: $1300-1500 (NEW or USED)

Thank you all very much for any suggestions or help in advance.

i be lurkin
    uh the new trek fuel
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    I've considered it as well, but I'm worried about the improvements. My fuel is "loud" and from most of what I've read, they're still creaky rides.

I'm looking at an Ellsworth Moment at the "moment." Seems to be a great free ride bike, which is what I should have said I wanted. Sorry, I've got to get the verbiage down too.

I also think that I'm upping my price range to right around the $2000 range. I'm cheaper than most, but I feel I should be able to find something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radials
    My fuel is "loud"
    Get a full-face and an iPod.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Get a full-face and an iPod.

I already ride with an iPod most of the time...

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I tear my bike down, clean everything and rebuild it once a year. Typically gets rid of creaks and squeaks that develop. Also important to make sure all the bolts are tightened up.

With all due respect, I'm guessing the suspension bearings on your frame are probably shot, and that's what's causing most of your noise. How long they last depends on the bearings, frame design and riding conditions. I usually get about a year out of a set, but I ride 4-6 days a week. Any bike will creak if things aren't cleaned and lubed on a fairly regular basis.

Additionally, the particular layout of the shock doesn't have as much to do with suspension design as you would think. In 2001, full suspension frames were still pretty rudimentary. The trick is to test ride bikes, and not rely on how they look. Technology has come a LONG way in 9 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    I tear my bike down, clean everything and rebuild it once a year. Typically gets rid of creaks and squeaks that develop. Also important to make sure all the bolts are tightened up.

With all due respect, I'm guessing the suspension bearings on your frame are probably shot, and that's what's causing most of your noise. How long they last depends on the bearings, frame design and riding conditions. I usually get about a year out of a set, but I ride 4-6 days a week. Any bike will creak if things aren't cleaned and lubed on a fairly regular basis.

Additionally, the particular layout of the shock doesn't have as much to do with suspension design as you would think. In 2001, full suspension frames were still pretty rudimentary. The trick is to test ride bikes, and not rely on how they look. Technology has come a LONG way in 9 years.

Thank you for the input. I've had my bike serviced (I know I should do it myself, and haven since learned what I need to do properly) 3 different times and no one could figure it out. It sounds like it's coming from the crank, then at times it sounds like it's coming from the front fork or headset.

I'm glad you addressed the issue of the shock placement. I love the geometry of the Fuel for the fact that when you stand up on it to load the shock before a jump...it's just perfect; handles small and large bumps really well for comfort on the hips, and was definitely the lightest full suspension at that time from just about any company. My "thinking" that with other designs (where the shock is underneath the top of the frame like a Jamis, etc) I wouldn't be able to load as quickly with ease.

At first I had just contemplated on changing a TON of parts on my current '01 Fuel and I actually still am thinking about this...

Every component on this bike is still factory: the old Rock Shock Judy, the Cane Creek AD-5...everything.

Hmm...so much to research...so much to learn/re-learn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Check out the Banshee Spitfire, Santa Cruz Nickel, Specialized Chamber. The Nickel and Spitfire are out of the price range, but you can get a Nickel for like 2199.

Just my .02.

i be lurkin
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"