Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Time for a new bike, suggestions needed.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dhbomber 
#1 ·
I've recently decided that i need a new bike. I had an XC bike and a DH and realized that neither of them can do what i need. The XC bike could go uphill and the DH bike could go down but if you try to use one of them for both i'd be walking. So i sold them both and i'm looking to get one bike for everything. I'm only 160lbs with my gear so i'm looking for a lightweight bike. I'm also looking for something with 5-6 inches that can take a good size drop and a serious beating. I've been looking around and there are so many options that i'm lost. I'm looking to spend $2,000 max and would rather something that is ready to go(i don't mind used bikes). I am looking for any suggestions that fit my criteria. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Just got back from riding my new/used 2010 Reign. Must say I'm pleased - pedals and climbs well and when pointed down it puts a smile on my face. Took a bit to get the suspension dialed in.

Haven't had the chance to ride other newer model AM bikes so can't comment.

I used to have xc bikes but got out of them when I learned what a slack geometry and more suspension allowed you to do. Until this year was pedaling a 03 Foes Fly for AM/xc - the Reign sure pedals better.

If possible test ride, demo, borrow to see what works for you. The new AM bikes do a great job at filling the middle ground.

Not going to give up my Dh bike for lift/shuttle action though.

#3 ·
Thank you for your input. The more i test ride bikes and try to figure out what i want, the more i realize i really enjoyed my rocky mountain switch 2.0. The 7 inches of plush travel was amazing, the bikes geometry was perfect for me. I felt like i belonged on the bike when i rode it and so far i haven't found anything That is that comfortable/easy to ride. At the moment I'm swaying towards a giant reign x1, specialized pitch, or trek remedy 7. Any thoughts?

#5 ·
DaddyMac said:
Thank you for your input. The more i test ride bikes and try to figure out what i want, the more i realize i really enjoyed my rocky mountain switch 2.0. The 7 inches of plush travel was amazing, the bikes geometry was perfect for me. I felt like i belonged on the bike when i rode it and so far i haven't found anything That is that comfortable/easy to ride. At the moment I'm swaying towards a giant reign x1, specialized pitch, or trek remedy 7. Any thoughts?
I have a Reign X1, and rode it like the bike you're looking for (pedal up, bomb down). I'm getting rid of it this year for an AM hardtail, but mostly because I tend to ride more towards the XC side of things and I want to keep things simple.

If I was going to do it again though, I'd get a Reign instead of a Reign X. While I never thought the bike had too much travel, I never felt I needed it all either.

#6 ·
bike_lvr said:
Ibis Mojo HD in either the 160 or 140 version will do what you want. Pedal well up and bomb the down.
He said $2000, not $5000. Otherwise you could add the Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon to the list.

If you don't mind second hand, look for a Santa Cruz Nomad MK2

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANTA-CRUZ-NOMAD-MAKE-OFFER-/280650257792?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item41580f1580

or Ibis Mojo

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBIS-MOJO-CARBO...3031129?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item35b1030259

Another option is the Specialized Enduro. Giant Reign X. I've heard the plain Reign has a pretty ordinary rear suspension, and the chain stays were breaking on a lot of Reign X as well. Just what I've heard.

Then there is something like the Knolly Delerium T, but I doubt you will find a second hand one.

Depends what you really want in the end.

Good luck, keep us posted. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Yippee_Ki_YayMF said:
He said $2000, not $5000. Otherwise you could add the Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon to the list.

If you don't mind second hand, look for a Santa Cruz Nomad MK2

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANTA-CRUZ-NOMAD-MAKE-OFFER-/280650257792?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item41580f1580

or Ibis Mojo

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBIS-MOJO-CARBO...3031129?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item35b1030259

Another option is the Specialized Enduro. Giant Reign X. I've heard the plain Reign has a pretty ordinary rear suspension, and the chain stays were breaking on a lot of Reign X as well. Just what I've heard.

Then there is something like the Knolly Delerium T, but I doubt you will find a second hand one.

Depends what you really want in the end.

Good luck, keep us posted. :thumbsup:
I do like the nomads unfortunately finding a good one in my budget is extremely difficult and the ibis is just completely out of the question at the moment. Basically i want a long travel bike that isn't super heavy and that i can actual pedal up the mountain. To me going up is a game and coming down is the prize.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.