mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Time For a Fork Upgrade

This goes out to the Socal riders that hit El Prieto, Sunset Canyon, and the other singletracks in the San Gabriels.

Okay, now you know the trails I ride, here is my bike: '05 Titus Motolite with a Fox RP3 shock, XT and Tompson components, 2.4 tires,,,, and a soon to be retired '04 Manitou Minute 1 fork!!!!

Now as for me,with the above bike, I riding up from the start of the Brown Mountain fireroad to the saddle above El Prieto in about 40 min. Just trying to give a fair representation of what I do. I like to ride up and down hills!! LOL

Now the question: What is anyone's opinion on a good fork upgrade? I like the travel adjustability of the Minute, but it tends to clatter alot. Also, it feels way to light to try to hold a line over some rough bumps at high speed. I'm looking for a fork that might give a little more confidence in these areas. Maybe a heavier fork? Oh, and I trying to keep this fork in the $200-$400 range. Is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a Manitou Minute 3:00 with the IT travel adjust and love it. Once you dial it in to your preference it is pretty sweet. The IT is a handlebar mounted lever that allows you to drop it down to under 100mm for steep climbs. And to top it all off it is light, but holds a line great.

Not the IT version but you can see what sort of deal you can find:
    Minute 3:00

Oh, So Interesting!
    Pike or Revelation...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    New AM fork from RST!!

they look sweet on Hardrocks!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I don't expect you would even

Think about using such a poorly designed product as an RST fork on such a well designed bike like a Titus Moto-Lite.

This is good

This is Better (if your bike can handle the 140mm)

If you spend the cash for a "REAL" fork (like an expensive FOX) you will enjoy your riding more, have more control and match the rear shock better. In some cases you will feel like you are riding a different bike.

Fox shocks are the "best in the business" as far as the Float, TALAS (Travel Adjust Linier Air Spring) features and "coil" feel of the air forks with the lightness and strength of air forks. The Vanilla (coil) forks are one of the nicest forks around (as far as "ride-ability" and Tune-ability)

They can be a bit of an "investment" when it comes time to buy one.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by sfrmusic@yahoo.com
    Now the question: What is anyone's opinion on a good fork upgrade? I like the travel adjustability of the Minute, but it tends to clatter alot. Also, it feels way to light to try to hold a line over some rough bumps at high speed. I'm looking for a fork that might give a little more confidence in these areas. Maybe a heavier fork? Oh, and I trying to keep this fork in the $200-$400 range. Is this possible?
    Sounds like your Minute 4 might be in need of some servicing.

That said, in your price range there are only a few good forks for what you are looking for.

Look to the Manitou Nixon Elite (TPC+ damping), includes travel wind-down like you have now - you can ride it at any height within 115-145mm. They can also be found with QR dropouts. But if holding a line in the rough at speed is a priority, 20mm axle is the way to go. TPC+ damping might be too plush (I love it). For a bit more damping control for bobbing, get an 05 with TPC damping. PricePoint and Greenfish have them.

Dunno if a Pike is in that $ range, but they are winners too.

Fox and Marzocchi are the "in" forks at the moment, but with both you need to buy their best level to get the damping they get their reputation from.

P