mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Time Atac Z vs Crank Brothers Mallets

Looking at getting a set of clipless pedals with platforms any thought on the above...
    I read in some of the post that the Crank Brothers need to re-built after a yr. some quality issues...
    haven't heard too much on the time pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My Mallet pedals on my DH bike have been on every DH bike I have had in the last 4 or 5 years. They haven't needed a rebuild and are in good shape except for some rock hits etc. My wife's Mallets are probably 2 years old and are also fine. They seem to last a lot better than the non-platform Crank Brothers pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have 3 pairs of the original egg beaters (no platform), and they feel a lot like times. Only difference is the weight (times are heavier) and when I bash the EBs on rocks they release. I use them because I'm a weight weenie. But if you're running platform style pedals anyway then the weight advantage of EBs is gone, so I'd go with times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Z! It's that simple.

perpetual pucker factor
    I'm on my second pair of Mallets. I've had my most recent mallets for 8 months of really hard riding and all is well. I've beaten them against rocks, roots, ridden in nasty talc powder sand, water, etc. They're completely fine. From what I can tell, they're nowhere near needing a rebuild. They clear mud SO much better than other clippy-flats out there.

My first pair were the original Mallet Cs, and as far as I know, they were the ones that were prone to failing. Mine were fine, and CB has been a great company to deal with.

+1 Mallets
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mallets FTL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

usually cranky
    i have some eb's i love. ive beat on them and they still spin nice although if you bash them on rocks they release, just the way they were designed.

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Mallets FTL.
    those were the 1st gen Mallet Cs, right? I've had both the new ones and the older Cs, and there has been a rather large difference between the two, as far as reliability goes. They've held up far better than the Cs with the same abuse. Just my experience.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Time Z, never an unintentional release even when bashed against rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I love all my Time pedals. The Z's are no exception.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got Time Zs on two bikes and like them very much.

But IMHO, they are really more clip-ins than platforms. The wide surface area is great for getting re-started in rough terrain, but after a few pedal turns they usually click back in very easily.

mtbr member
    One of my Mallet II's snapped off a month or so ago after just one year of use!!! Very dangerous. If that shaft would have broken on the landing from a jump I'd probably have had to go to the hospital or worse.

I bought Time since its the brand the vast majority of the seasoned mtb'rs in my area recommend.

mtbr member
    Time Z's all the way

Just do a bit of searching Am I The Only One Who Is Breaking Crank Bros. Pedals Constantly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've never used CB pedals, but I find it curious that even when people are defending them, they say things like 'my eggbeaters/candies/mallets have been absolutely fantastic, and CB have been such an excellent company to deal with.'

I don't know whether Shimano or Time are good companies to deal with, because I've never had to. I've just bought their stuff and used it until it got really old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by disfocus
    I've never used CB pedals, but I find it curious that even when people are defending them, they say things like 'my eggbeaters/candies/mallets have been absolutely fantastic, and CB have been such an excellent company to deal with.'

I don't know whether Shimano or Time are good companies to deal with, because I've never had to. I've just bought their stuff and used it until it got really old.
    I often ask myself the same thing. Seems a lot of people here have first hand experience dealing with product manufacturers.

If I have any contact with a company after purchase, that means something has gone wrong. I want to have zero contact with the 'customer service' dept.
    R

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by disfocus

Exactly good customer service is a consolation prize, for buying a questionable quality product.

mtbr member
    I own both Crank Brothers pedals and Time pedals. The time pedals work much better. Go with the Times.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    I'm a huge fan of my Atac Z's. I've been on time pedals for years and these are great too!
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks all for the input...Time pedals it is !! wnated something to work in the mud..and have some support to stand on if I couldnt get clipped in quick enough.

Pedaling Nowhere
    I had Zs and had to make the switch. They were too hard to release and the platforms are useless if you are ever traversing unclipped. I love my Mallets... no unintended releases, very tough and good platforms...